Prospect Info: Future Flyers Defense

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Project the Flyers defense in a couple years with our current list of prospects. Here is mine:

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost- Myers
Hagg- Morin

I haven't seen much of hagg or sanheim besides his world juniors stint last year but we all know he didnt get enough of a chance to thrive.

Provorov looks like the future defensive defenseman for the next 15 years where Ghost has another solid decade as the team's power play quarterback. If he can jump to another level the only people between him and the top may be Karlsson and maybe Ekman-Larsson in terms of point producing defensemen

I haven't seen Hagg play yet but all i have been hearing is good reviews and Morin seems to be more of a top 4 guy at best. He is big, mean and physical.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Project the Flyers defense in a couple years with our current list of prospects. Here is mine:

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost- Myers
Hagg- Morin

I haven't seen much of hagg or sanheim besides his world juniors stint last year but we all know he didnt get enough of a chance to thrive.

Provorov looks like the future defensive defenseman for the next 15 years where Ghost has another solid decade as the team's power play quarterback. If he can jump to another level the only people between him and the top may be Karlsson and maybe Ekman-Larsson in terms of point producing defensemen

I haven't seen Hagg play yet but all i have been hearing is good reviews and Morin seems to be more of a top 4 guy at best. He is big, mean and physical.

Maybe next year at some point we'll see this:

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-Gostisbehere
Sanheim-MacDonald

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
If we're lucky

Provorov-Sanheim

Ghost - Myers (Not really sure how the handidness might effect playing side with this pair_

Morin-Friedman

More than likely we'll get a Morin-Gudas pairing though, which certainly wouldn't be bad at all, just wish one of them can be able to be an above average puck mover when paired together to help transition game. That would be a sick shut down pair though.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ghost-Myers would be entertaining, but it makes no sense. Sanheim-Ghost makes more sense than Ghost-Myers (and Ghost can play LD just fine...it's his natural position), and I wouldn't want to see either as a normal pair. Myers and Ghost play weirdly very similar minus the height difference, which has its pluses and minuses.

In my mind, the best combos are to have Ghost, Sanheim, Myers split (except situationally for fun!) and Provorov, Morin, Gudas paired with each. We'll see what happens with other D prospects.

Last edited:

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
If we're lucky

Provorov-Sanheim

Ghost - Myers (Not really sure how the handidness might effect playing side with this pair_

Morin-Friedman

More than likely we'll get a Morin-Gudas pairing though, which certainly wouldn't be bad at all, just wish one of them can be able to be an above average puck mover when paired together to help transition game. That would be a sick shut down pair though.

If I was playing forward for the other team I would **** my pants if I saw Morin and Gudas hop the boards to play against us.:laugh:

Bernie67

Apr 10, 2016
I have been hoping for Ghost to move to his natural left side this year so I expect the transition to start soon; I see

Provorov - Mac Donald
Ghost - Gudas
Morin - Sanheim
and then
Provorov - Sanheim
Ghost - Gudas
Morin - Myers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
While I know it is an unpopular opinion, I don't foresee a future where all these guys play regularly together. The odds just are not in our favor for that to happen. Someone will bust or be traded (or even injured seriously). If we ever get to a time where Provolone, Ghost, Morin, Sanheim, Myers, Hagg (and Gudas or Friedman) are NHL regulars for the Flyers, we'll be well on our way to a Cup but also well on our way to serious cap problems requiring us to shed salary.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think the biggest risk of not having all of them is the next expansion draft if it is only a few years out.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
While I know it is an unpopular opinion, I don't foresee a future where all these guys play regularly together. The odds just are not in our favor for that to happen. Someone will bust or be traded (or even injured seriously). If we ever get to a time where Provolone, Ghost, Morin, Sanheim, Myers, Hagg (and Gudas or Friedman) are NHL regulars for the Flyers, we'll be well on our way to a Cup but also well on our way to serious cap problems requiring us to shed salary.

That why the Flyers will have to continually draft defensemen. I think than can realistically keep four if one of them is Morin since I don't think Morin will ever be expensive. That means if all of Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, and Ghost turn out, one will likely have to be traded. But you are talking when these guys are near 27 years old so many years from now. Nothing to worry about. I actually expect one of them to be moved when the Flyers are looking for that final piece to the puzzle.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost is the most likely to be traded, he's older, more expensive and his body makes him most vulnerable to aging (i.e. if he loses a step, he's instantly a smaller Streit).

They're playing Morin and Sanheim together, and may keep them paired.
You could move Ghost back to LHD and pair him with Gudas, or move Sanheim back to LHD and put Ghost with Morin.
Provorov will make any RHD look better, so they may put Myers with him while he learns on the job.

With MDZ headed for the 3rd pair next year, I suspect they won't resign him unless he has a great second half, and even then, it'll be at a price that reflects his inconsistency.

After this season, MacDonald will be the 7th D-man until his contract is bought out or they eat money to trade him.
Schultz, and Streit are history, Manning might be kept for his edge. Could be a one season bridge to Myers.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I agree with this, and I actually think most people would agree on some level. We fantasize about having all the young prospects making it and eventually all being on the team at the same time, but that still remains pretty unlikely. Even if no one busts outright (which is a strong possibility obviously), you will likely still have at least one that disappoints or regresses or simply doesn't get the opportunity in the role they might deserve, etc.

The only comparable recent situation with an overloaded D prospect pool is/was with the Ducks, and trade rumors have surrounded guys like Vatanen and Fowler for a while. They've walked a really tight rope to keep everyone so far, and they still have players like Montour and Larsson who haven't yet gotten opportunity.

The Flyers still have plenty of time to evaluate what they have, so nothing needs to be settled in the near future, but it's worth keeping in mind the likelihood that one or two players very well could be dealt when we know what we're dealing with.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And more importantly how we make sure we don't give up on a player too soon and risk trading away an impact defensemen.

Yup...keep them, let the best rise to the top, then know exactly what you have vs need, then address it when the time is tight.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Ducks only need to trade a dman because of the ED.

It's funny to read the "concern" about cap problems before any of them have even signed a non-ELC contract. The fact is there won't be enough points to go around for more than three of them to get big first contracts. But I guess when you can no longer talk bull **** about Gudas and Myers not being good players you have to find something else to complain about.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It's funny to read the "concern" about cap problems before any of them have even signed a non-ELC contract. The fact is there won't be enough points to go around for more than three of them to get big first contracts. But I guess when you can no longer talk bull **** about Gudas and Myers not being good players you have to find something else to complain about.

Yep. Not enough points and certainly not enough PP time.

They're not all going to max out. Letting the hierarchy sort itself out instead of guessing now is completely fine. If you hit the lottery and they somehow all do, you can still make a move later.

If you want to take a lesson from the Anaheim situation, it's caution with an MDZ contract. It's sure as heck not trying to cash in Gostisbehere.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I mean, no, that's not really true. Anaheim has Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler, Theodore, Manson, Montour, and Larsson with legit NHL upside. Something's going to have to happen at some point-- whether it's a trade or a player simply busting, they probably won't all be kept together. Plus, there's every reason to believe there will be another expansion draft in the near future. We probably won't escape that one unscathed like we will this time.

And the "concerns" aren't limited to the cap implications. At some point it's simply a matter of efficiency. Would you rather have a #3/#4 defender playing as your #6 when you could instead trade that player for a top six forward? These aren't real concerns since it's a good problem to have, but there's nothing wrong with recognizing that it's unlikely to have a defense entirely consisting of young defenders.

I'm all for calling out DFF when he takes contrarian opinions just for the sake of it, but this isn't really a controversial opinion to say we probably won't have Provorov, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Friedman/Hagg/Gudas in the lineup all at once. And if we do, it probably won't be for all that long.

Also, your argument regarding the cap is that they will all be suppressed because there aren't enough points to go around. Do you think all the D would be satisfied under such an arrangement where they aren't able to get big contracts because of the competition in Philly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad