Future D-Core (Official thread)

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Here to stay:
Subban - PK is PK and he is here to stay as #1 d.
Beaulieu - Will be a great 2nd pairing guy next year. Give him minutes this year.
Tinordi - Will be a great 3rd pairing guy next year. Give him minutes this year and see if he's ready for the big deal.

Keep/trade:
Emelin - Keep as 2nd-3rd pairing, hasn't been himself since the injury. Trade if we can get good value for him.
Markov- As much as I love Markov, we are not a contending team. He's not getting any younger and has 3 years max left. Can get injured any day with his rich knee problem. Trade him while he still has his great trade value.
Murray- Depending on the other guys and their situation. Was playing great with Beaulieu. He's so-so. Can be very slow but an asset at times.
Gorges- Here to probably stay. Great penalty killer but really soft.
Drewiske - Who ?

Let go:
Boullion - merci but no merci.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Emelin are the core right now. Markov is either gone at this deadline or in 2-3 seasons, so I wouldn't put him as a long term part of the D.

It's obvious we're going to need another top 4 D.. someone like McDonagh :cry:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Trade Markov for some forward help and go with the kids for the remainder of the season, we have nothing to lose, the only thing that scares me is the fact that Bergevin might give him away for some irrelevant player like Briere or drewiske, we need some 5 on 5 offense and we don't have it in our system. Eller wants out or they just don't want him and its a shame really because he is a really useful player when given good line mates like his egg buddies, it leaves me scratching my head as to why they have abused him like they have. :shakehead:shakehead

habitue*

I would start the next season with this group:

Markov
Subban
Emelin
Gorges
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Murray
.... and Patteryn if needed, or Nygren if he is NHL caliber and wants to come back to Canada.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Future as in next season?

At this point i'm kind of assuming that our top 4 will stay intact.

1. Subban
2. Markov
3. Gorges
4. Emelin

We are probably looking at a bottom 3 of Tinordi, Beaulieu and Murray if he is willing to re-sign for another year at the same salary as this season ($1.5). I wouldn't be opposed to giving the following pairings a go next season, at least 5 on 5.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Gorges
Murray

habitue*

Trade Markov for some forward help and go with the kids for the remainder of the season, we have nothing to lose, the only thing that scares me is the fact that Bergevin might give him away for some irrelevant player like Briere or drewiske, we need some 5 on 5 offense and we don't have it in our system. Eller wants out or they just don't want him and its a shame really because he is a really useful player when given good line mates like his egg buddies, it leaves me scratching my head as to why they have abused him like they have. :shakehead:shakehead

Trading Markov is very dangerous. It's gonna make our defence a lot weaker and unbalanced.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Emelin are the core right now. Markov is either gone at this deadline or in 2-3 seasons, so I wouldn't put him as a long term part of the D.

It's obvious we're going to need another top 4 D.. someone like McDonagh :cry:

I totally agree with you, but I am on the fence with Emelin since he no longer plays the same physical style he did a year ago.

We have a problem with too many LH defensemen right now. Emelin is much better on his proper side and the kids should also play their proper side. You can slot Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi on the left hand side, but I am not sure any of those guys can hack it on the top pairing at this time. Eventually I would hope that one of Tinordi and Beaulieu could do it but I don't see it right now.

That means, in my opinion, out of Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Murray and Bouillon, you can only keep one or two. If you keep two, he is your 7th defenseman.

My hope is that, if possible, we trade Murray and Bouillon. Of course we just don't re-sign either if we can't trade them. Trade Gorges and trade one of Markov/Emelin, depending on the reward/return.

Part of me thinks that we have to move Emelin since he is easier to replace than Markov right now, especially since the physical aspect of his game as pretty much disappeared.

Future D corps:

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-????
Tinordi-????/Pateryn
????/Ellis/Dietz

OR

Emelin-Subban
Beaulieu-????
Tinordi-????/Pateryn
????/Ellis/Dietz

Definitely need to get another stud defenseman if we want to be contenders.

Edit: Would love to see us get a hold of Myers since he is still young, right hand shot and his game is rounding out. Perhaps Markov and a first would do it, with the assumption that Buffalo would then deal Markov for another first.

habitue*

I totally agree with you, but I am on the fence with Emelin since he no longer plays the same physical style he did a year ago.

We have a problem with too many LH defensemen right now. Emelin is much better on his proper side and the kids should also play their proper side. You can slot Emelin, Beaulieu and Tinordi on the left hand side, but I am not sure any of those guys can hack it on the top pairing at this time. Eventually I would hope that one of Tinordi and Beaulieu could do it but I don't see it right now.

That means, in my opinion, out of Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Murray and Bouillon, you can only keep one or two. If you keep two, he is your 7th defenseman.

My hope is that, if possible, we trade Murray and Bouillon. Of course we just don't re-sign either if we can't trade them. Trade Gorges and trade one of Markov/Emelin, depending on the reward/return.

Part of me thinks that we have to move Emelin since he is easier to replace than Markov right now, especially since the physical aspect of his game as pretty much disappeared.

Future D corps:

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-????
Tinordi-????/Pateryn
????/Ellis/Dietz

OR

Emelin-Subban
Beaulieu-????
Tinordi-????/Pateryn
????/Ellis/Dietz

Definitely need to get another stud defenseman if we want to be contenders.

Edit: Would love to see us get a hold of Myers since he is still young, right hand shot and his game is rounding out. Perhaps Markov and a first would do it, with the assumption that Buffalo would then deal Markov for another first.

Very expensive. And we have guys like Subban and Tinordi to do the same job, and better.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
Very expensive. And we have guys like Subban and Tinordi to do the same job, and better.

I would rather pay Myers and his 5.5M cap hit for 5 years instead of giving Markov 6 for only a few more years.
I also believe that you can never have too many guys to do the same job if they all do it well. We need more top 4 defensemen if we want a cup.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
IMO one of if not both Tinordi and Beaulieu are NHL ready now, and by next season at least one of them will secure a spot. Both can be second pairing guys, especially NB due to his mobility and sheer talent combined with good size.

JT has shown he has way more ability to complete first passes and make good decisions than many had expected, and he can be a 2nd pairing guy if he keep that going while upping his physicality a bit.

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Beaulieu
Tinordi-Emelin

OR

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Beaulieu

OR

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Gorges-Beaulieu

Lots of combinations (style wise amyway; i know the pairings will largely stay the same) due to the mobility and size of our players. I hope they think outside the box a bit and review the way the pairings are set

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'd bring in Tinordi and Beaulieu from now on. They need the experience.

Next year i'd go with
Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gorges
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Tinordi

Pateryn has the upper hand to me on Tinordi because he's RD. I believe we still need Markov because of his experience and puck moving qualities.

Eventually try to move Gorges or Emelin for a good top 4 RD, move Tinordi in.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Probably...

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Beaulieu - Murray
Pateryn

Tinordi is the first call up. He'll be a regular by the end of next season.
Pateryn is there because he's a righty and can't be sent down without going through waivers next season.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they'll move Markov and I know they're not going to want to start the season with 3 rookies in the top 7.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I say we roll with Beaulieu and Tinordi next season. Look at Anaheim, they rolled with Vatanen and Lindholm.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
I say we roll with Beaulieu and Tinordi next season. Look at Anaheim, they rolled with Vatanen and Lindholm.

I hear you, but they will have their struggles along the way. One of the 3 will not perform up to expectations....at least 1. I think its too risky to have all three up. Pateryn has a lot of value because he's a righty. I think they're going to want to see what he can do over a season. Also, no worries about Tinordi. There will be injuries and if one the young guys is struggling, down they go. i think its the best way to go for next season. You need depth.

habitue*

Next year i'd go with
Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gorges
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Tinordi

Pateryn has the upper hand to me on Tinordi because he's RD. I believe we still need Markov because of his experience and puck moving qualities.

Tinordi is already NHL caliber. Not so sure about Patteryn.

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver

Next year i'd go with
Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gorges
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Tinordi

Please no!! Emelin and Subban are the two top d-men to give the puck away... That'd be really surprising to see them play together.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Beaulieu - Murray
Tinordi - Pateryn

... there are usually injuries. We've had less this year than usual, on D anyway. You can still rotate Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn to Hamilton to keep them active, and depending on who is playing and progressing best, etc. I don't see a strong need to clearly define their roles right now in March... September and October are good for that.

Then even if we do have Murray back next season, he surely won't be back the one after. And the youth steps up another notch.

Of course, there's the matter of re-signing Markov and Subban as well. Habs could still mess that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad