Future Contracts of Galchenyuk, Radulov, Beaulieu, Price, Patch ?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Very fair comparables for sure! All depends how well Galchenyuk does this year and with him playing with a much improved top 6, he may get 30-35 goals, and 40-45 assists. That to me = 7M per season

He still has RFA years left though, doesn't he? He might get 7M for his UFA years but his RFA years will be around 5M or so

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Beaulieu is a big question mark as a lot will depend on this season. My bet is that he earns a 2 year, $4M deal (I think he'll still be RFA at this point but I could be wrong).

Price I also don't see getting over 10M unless the cap rises significantly in the next 2 years. I'll say $9M for Price for 8 years.

Beaulieu won't be a RFA at the end of his next deal if it's a 2 yr deal.

And again, 9M$ seems extremely high for Price. I mean, I get that this team relies too much on him and on goaltending. Giving him 9M$ might just mean even more reliance. This implies the cap not going up in a significant fashion. If the cap is somehow 80M$ for 2018-19, then sure, absolutely no issue in giving him 9M...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Galchenyuk with another 30 plus goal season = 8.5 million

Radulov with a 75-90 pt season - 8-9 million

Beaulieu 2.75 - 4 million

Price 11.5 - 12.5 million

Pacioretty 8.5 million

Goona be some tough choices to make in Montreal.....Some bodies will need traded.

Agreed... There's going to be some massive contracts and MB will have to manage carefully!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Beaulieu won't be a RFA at the end of his next deal if it's a 2 yr deal.

And again, 9M$ seems extremely high for Price. I mean, I get that this team relies too much on him and on goaltending. Giving him 9M$ might just mean even more reliance. This implies the cap not going up in a significant fashion. If the cap is somehow 80M$ for 2018-19, then sure, absolutely no issue in giving him 9M...

It's not about what you, me, and MB want to give him... It's about what Price and his Agent is asking for!

If Subban = 9M per season... Price gets 10-12M range (4 years after Subban signed his contract at that!). Hopefully Price is a team guy and not selfish like Subban (same agent though... DM!)

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015

Pacioretty 8.5 - 9.5 million

Goona be some tough choices to make in Montreal.....Some bodies will need traded.

Stamkos just signed for $8.5M. I can't see AG, A-Rad or Max getting that kind of money.

It's also hard to imagine that Price gets more than $10M.

Things change so who knows? That said, I guess if we have three skaters worth 9+, that might be a nice problem to have.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Pacioretty 8.5 - 9.5 million

These are all way to high imo...except for Bo depending how he performs this year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's not about what you, me, and MB want to give him... It's about what Price and his Agent is asking for!

If Subban = 9M per season... Price gets 10-12M range (4 years after Subban signed his contract at that!). Hopefully Price is a team guy and not selfish like Subban

Considering cap not moving up significantly :

... 9M is high. Manageable, but high.

But too much money would just mean relying on him even more. It's apparently not a good recipe for success according to mostly everyone.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Stamkos just signed for $8.5M. I can't see AG, A-Rad or Max getting that kind of money.

Things change so who knows? That said, I guess if we have three skaters worth 9+, that might be a nice problem to have.

Yes and Tampa Bay has NO STATE INCOME TAX....
8.5 million in Tampa is not the same as 8.5 million in Montreal....

8.5 million in Tampa like Stamkos got , Montreal would have to give him (Stamkos)
approximate 12.5 -13+ million to equal it...

Price is goona get paid 11.5-12.5 million IF he stays in Montreal.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Lets say all is well in Habs land this year and they get back to being a top 10 team in the league (or better!). What are the future contracts looking like in the next 3 years? Galchenyuk and Radulov scores 70-85 pts, Beaulieu scores 40-50 pts, and Price and Patch do the usual...

Galchenyuk: 7-8M per season for 8 years?

Radulov: 7-8M per season for 5 years?

Beaulieu: 4-5M per season for 8 years? I find this one a hard one to predict if Beaulieu does well and gets close to 50pts.

Price (2 years from now): 10-12M per season for 8 years?

Patch: (3 years from now): 8-9M per season for 8 years?

The next 2 off seasons are fine with salary cap increases and letting expiring contracts go without re-signing (DD, Emelin, Markov, Flynn, Montoya). I believe it's the next off season is where the potential trouble starts. That's when you have to re-sign Patch & Sergachyov. It comes down to weather or not to re-sign Pleky next off season. That to me is the key and MB will have to manage carefully

Forsberg is a close comparable to Galchenyuk, but Nashville are only buying 1 UFA year on his contract I believe, while an 8 year deal for Galchenyuk will buy 5 UFA years... I'm not sure he'll sign away that many UFA years... I could see a 6.5 by 6 year deal in the works.

If Radulov has a 30-30 season than a contract similar to Loui Eriksson could be had... 6Mx6 on the market. Habs could maybe get a slight discount if he loves the city and doesn't want to risk going to July 1st. 5.5 to 6.0 Million range over 5 years.

Beaulieu is an interesting one. If he cements himself next to Weber this season, and shows he's a top pairing D-man than I think he's going to want a shorter term contract. Show that his body of work isn't a fluke. I predict he'll be pushing for a 4 year deal, Montreal will want a 3. 4 to 5 million, but it won't be for 8 years.

Price... I don't know... I think he'll be slightly ahead of Lundqvist. Probably 9Mx8. Wouldn't be shocked by 10Mx8. Probably 11 or 12 by 7 years if he goes UFA.

Pacioretty - 3 years from now, judging for some cap inflation, after watching this offseason's UFA's i'll say 7M by 6 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The Stamkos situation was very weird to me... he ended up holding out for UFA summer free agent frenzy (reportedly asking for 9M+) but then decided to take the original offer TB was offering him months before and signs right before July 1st.

Does anybody find it funny that Stamkos and Subban are friends and Stamkos decides to take a pay cut to stay in TB right after (I mean minutes after) Subban gets traded? Could there of been truth that Stamkos was indeed interested in playing in MTL?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Hope your right but you have to factor inflation my friend and greedy agents.

It's highly unlikely that there are any significant inflationary pressures in the time frame(s) that you have mentioned. Galchenyuk is due to be resigned in less than 9 months time, ditto Beaulieu, ditto Radulov. All signs point to an impending rate hike which should have a muted, if not negative impact on inflation for the USD

Greedy agents...well, sure. I'd be greedy too if I could impact my bottom line so massively with just one contract negotiation. I think we all would, those guys have a crazy profitable gig going for themselves

Galchenyuk - 6.25 x 6

Radulov - signs elsewhere at 7.5m per

Beaulieu - 3.5 x 5

Price - give the guy the max or close to it. best goalie in the world and he deserves the most money in kind

Pacioretty - is not worth 7+ but should get that, I'd expect at a 5-7 year term which takes him into his ~mid 30s

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Stamkos situation was very weird to me... he ended up holding out for UFA summer free agent frenzy (reportedly asking for 9M+) but then decided to take the original offer TB was offering him months before and signs right before July 1st.

Does anybody find it funny that Stamkos and Subban are friends and Stamkos decides to take a pay cut to stay in TB right after (I mean minutes after) Subban gets traded? Could there of been truth that Stamkos was indeed interested in playing in MTL?

It's definitely a strange coincidence no doubt about it.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The bigger question might end up being,does Price want to stay in Montreal....

Yikes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The bigger question might end up being,does Price want to stay in Montreal....

Yikes.

Yes your right! He's a BC boy playing hockey in the East. This season is very important for many reasons. It decides if the Habs are a contender or time to re-build! Price needs to be resigned this coming of season. If negotiations get difficult, then somethings up and he's probably gone after next season. Sad but true!

Winning helps and adding Weber helps also!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
....Jul 01 2017 to Jun 30 2018 might be absolutely unsufferable if Price isn't signed on Jul 01 2017.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yes your right! He's a BC boy playing hockey in the East. This season is very important for many reasons. It decides if the Habs are a contender or time to re-build! Price needs to be resigned this coming of season. If negotiations get difficult, then somethings up and he's probably gone after next season. Sad but true!

Winning helps and adding Weber helps also!

Price grew up an Oilers fan....New building with Conner McDavid....could be interesting to him.

Both Canucks and Oilers would be very interested in Price...
The Habs really got no one to take over his spot, highlighted big time by last season...

If he ever decides to go UFA in less than 2 years(end of 2017-18 season) that's major trouble.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I think that when Bergevin told PK to call him, he believed that MB wanted to ask him about Stamkos. He believed Stamkos was siding towards signing in Montreal. We now know what the call was for.

I don't think it was PK gets traded, then Stamkos signs in Tampa. I think if MB knew Stamkos chose Montreal, he wouldn't have traded PK. I think it was more Stamkos and his agent advising Montreal that he wouldn't be signing with them, so it opened up the opportunity for MB and Poile to make their deal.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If Price get's injured once again , I would think twice before signing him long term...

Let's hope all his injuries are behind him and he can constantly stay healthy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that when Bergevin told PK to call him, he believed that MB wanted to ask him about Stamkos. He believed Stamkos was siding towards signing in Montreal. We now know what the call was for.

I don't think it was PK gets traded, then Stamkos signs in Tampa. I think if MB knew Stamkos chose Montreal, he wouldn't have traded PK. I think it was more Stamkos and his agent advising Montreal that he wouldn't be signing with them, so it opened up the opportunity for MB and Poile to make their deal.

Very interesting!

Who would you rather have. Stamkos or Radulov? Lots of people would choose Stamkos I imagine but I really like Radulov and how he plays.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Galchenyuk: After being low balled by Bergevin, holds out for a trade (maybe even signs an offer sheet that Bergevin rejects)
Radulov: Gone to the highest bidder next season
Beaulieu: Left available for Las Vegas to select
Price: 8 years, $12 million per season
Pacioretty: Traded in final season of his contract for Matt Duchene

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

It's really not a pay cut at all when you consider the fact that Florida has no state income tax, and players in Montreal conversely pay the highest tax rates in the league. It's also extremely cheap to buy real estate in Tampa and the cost of living is significantly lower in the US, outside of major metropolitan centres (which is obviously applicable to Tampa). Add in the quality of life disparity between the two and it's pretty much a no brainer as to why a player would take "less" money on the surface, when in reality he is both netting more money and spending less over the course of the year. You come out significantly ahead when you evaluate even just the surface factors like these..

Wolfram Alpha is a powerful computation engine you can use to evaluate things like that - ie. what does 10.5 million per year represent in MTL vs. 8.5 per year in Tampa. The gavin group also has a pretty cool engine on their site that allows you to cross-compare player salaries on a relative basis

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price grew up an Oilers fan....New building with Conner McDavid....could be interesting to him.

Both Canucks and Oilers would be very interested in Price...
The Habs really got no one to take over his spot, highlighted big time by last season...

If he ever decides to go UFA in less than 2 years(end of 2017-18 season),where in major trouble.

Didn't know he was an Oilers fan. That's news to me and very scary for Habs Fans! Oilers are an interesting fit!

Don't think he signs with the Canucks... That team is going nowhere in the next few seasons and will be re building (IMO) very soon.

I'm in Halifax and watched Furcale in that dominating year the Moosheads had (77-7 including memorial cup). He looked very solid and developed into a "big game" player but has fell off the radar since! C Lindgren is going to surprise many people this year I suspect. Habs have a way of finding gems in the Goalie world. Still... Price needs to be re-signed! 2 year window to win!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad