GDT: Futbol 2022

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Looks like I didn't tune in for one second of any game. Would probably have been another story had the games been in the summer like they should. No willful boycotting on my part on anything, just *shrug*.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Looks like I didn't tune in for one second of any game. Would probably have been another story had the games been in the summer like they should. No willful boycotting on my part on anything, just *shrug*.
And that's totally fair. Kinda like that bizarre summer WJC they tried to do. The one thing for this tourney that I will say is that since it's during the league season for the vast majority of the players player form didn't seem to be nearly the issue it can be in this thing

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Outside of World Cup it was difficult in the States to see Pele play until he joined the NY Cosmos.

He was in the twilight of his career but watching him in the late 70's with Giorgio Chinaglia, Franz Beckenbauer and Carlos Alberto was magical. There has never been a better collection of stars playing on a North American team before or since that squad.

As you said, RIP Pele.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I'm too young to have seen Pelé play (unless you count Escape to Victory), but every time anyone of us kicked a futbol in the 70's and 80's, he was there as a kind of benevolent spirit of the game to be invoked whenever someone did something out of the ordinary. Top corner? "Pelé!" Dribbling past two boys? "Pelé!" Attempting an overhead kick? "Don't try to be some f*cking Pelé!"

The idea of him and the idea of futbol were so intertwined that now that he's dead, it feels weird that people are still allowed to play the game at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad