GDT: Futbol 2022

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Given the World Cup is coming up later this month, I thought I would start a thread so we could talk about the “beautiful game”.

Also, anyone else just watch the end of the MLS cup game? That was BONKERS!

Reactions: DaveG

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Given the World Cup is coming up later this month, I thought I would start a thread so we could talk about the “beautiful game”.

I was watching other football and cooking

Reactions: MinJaBen

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Caught the end of it. Last minute equalizer while down a man after the keeper got carded, I can't recall ever seeing that before

Reactions: MinJaBen

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The US roster was just released. Yeah we’ll be lucky to make it out of the group stage, and if we do it’ll be a borefest of matches

Reactions: Tryamw

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
lataus (18).jpeg

Germany and england playing football, oil canvas by hieronymus bosch, Stable Diffusion v1.5

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The one thing about this USMNT squad is that they'll be playing more games than the 2018 squad huehuehue #lost2Trinidad&Tobago

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The one thing about this USMNT squad is that they'll be playing more games than the 2018 squad huehuehue #lost2Trinidad&Tobago
People make fun of Italy for not making the WC after winning the Euro

But us not qualifying for 2018 is by far a much bigger embarrassment. We played against abunch of teams that have basically semi-pros in their lineup and still couldn't qualify. It's also why I am skeptical of the "new" generation. They're still not as good as the old teams, more hype maybe. But talent? Nope. Just as mediocre if not worse. Less heart as well.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Our group is England, USA, Wales, and Iran. I will be disappointed if we fail to be one of the two teams that get out of that group. Win the tournament? I don't think we have a chance at that, but we should make the knockout round.

I just dont think we are as talented as we were in the past. Maybe they will prove me wrong. I hope so.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Our group is England, USA, Wales, and Iran. I will be disappointed if we fail to be one of the two teams that get out of that group. Win the tournament? I don't think we have a chance at that, but we should make the knockout round.
We’re a relatively untested bunch imo. At least one that hasn’t had enough consistent success to feel that confident going in. I just love that there is a new generation and that they have legitimate talent. I don’t know that it’s enough to leave the group. Just don’t suck. It’s really wide open for them, they can do something amazing here.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
As someone who doesn't follow soccer as closely as some here, I'm sure, can someone elaborate on if the US has the infrastructure in place to start competing at a higher level in the future?

At this point the MLS has been here for 26 years. That's long enough to bring along a whole new generation of soccer players and coaches who might have opportunities they didn't 30 years ago. Has it grown the quality of the game on average in the states?

It's a bit odd as someone who is ignorant of this that it seems like there is more growth and opportunity in the states that ever before but as such a large nation we're churning out less high end talent. Strictly shooting from the hip it appears that US hockey development has grown leaps and bounds and there are more US NHLers than ever before...you would think something similar would happen with soccer?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As someone who doesn't follow soccer as closely as some here, I'm sure, can someone elaborate on if the US has the infrastructure in place to start competing at a higher level in the future?

At this point the MLS has been here for 26 years. That's long enough to bring along a whole new generation of soccer players and coaches who might have opportunities they didn't 30 years ago. Has it grown the quality of the game on average in the states?

It's a bit odd as someone who is ignorant of this that it seems like there is more growth and opportunity in the states that ever before but as such a large nation we're churning out less high end talent. Strictly shooting from the hip it appears that US hockey development has grown leaps and bounds and there are more US NHLers than ever before...you would think something similar would happen with soccer?
I don't think it is a talent or infrastructure issue. It is a choice issue. Most of our best athletes choose other sports due to the exposure they get here.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well there is some infrastructure to it imo, as most talent that appears to have legit potential still goes to Europe for prime development. There are more that stay local for longer it seems but it still is a thing to go there vs here.

That requires us having leagues good enough to develop true stars at the international level, which requires more infrastructure than we’ll ever have. MLS isn’t enough, and it’s hard to imagine a youth system strong enough.

Reactions: DaveG and Daeavorn

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't think it is a talent or infrastructure issue. It is a choice issue. Most of our best athletes choose other sports due to the exposure they get here.
I think I remember reading about how Odell Beckham was pretty damn good growing up but went with football instead

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad