Fun Times - 20 yrs ago today

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Stuff like this makes me sad Im not old enough to really remember Probert. Must have been an exciting time to be a Wing fan

It was a different kind of exciting though. Just old enough to remember the late 80's and you would go to a game thinking Yzerman will score two goals the team will get beat and resort to Ducks tactics.

For those screaming for a rebuild I remember those days well. I will always root for the crest on the jersey more than any particular player. But the 80's and bruise brother days of Kocur and Probert left a lot to be desired on a nightly basis. If you like boxing on ice fine and the the Ducks and Bruins have had some success with it. But that is a hard way to intentionally build a team. Just ask Burke how it worked out in Toronto.

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
Lol @ 1:10 probert can't decide who he wants to fight. He's tied up with one guy and throwing punches at another.

RedWingsNow*

It was a different kind of exciting though. Just old enough to remember the late 80's and you would go to a game thinking Yzerman will score two goals the team will get beat and resort to Ducks tactics.

For those screaming for a rebuild I remember those days well. I will always root for the crest on the jersey more than any particular player. But the 80's and bruise brother days of Kocur and Probert left a lot to be desired on a nightly basis. If you like boxing on ice fine and the the Ducks and Bruins have had some success with it. But that is a hard way to intentionally build a team. Just ask Burke how it worked out in Toronto.

I started becoming a Red Wings fan in the mid 80s, using my paper route money as a teenager... My friends and I... at like 14 years old... would take the tunnel bus to the Joe and buy standing room only tickets and then find seats in the second period.

Those teams struggled. The Wings were starting to get better, in the Ilitch era, but they still struggled. I think it was 86 when Neale coached and they fell back down to 40 points.
But you know what? They were still fun to watch.
Those teams... Yzerman, Gallant, Kilma, Johnny O, Probert, Hanlon -- it was a fun 80s hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad