[Fun Question] Guarantee your team wins a cup next year but at a cost?

Do you take the deal?

• Yes, guarantee the cup win next season with the cup drought curse.

Votes: 81 57.9%
  • No, I'll take my chances.

Votes: 59 42.1%

• Total voters

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Always something I've wondered and finally wanted to ask:

If a magic genie or something pops up and offers you a deal that he will guarantee your favorite team will win the cup next season, but that would also come with a curse that your team not win another cup for 32 years... would you make that deal?

He will also wipe your memory of ever making the deal so the experience and everything will be genuine.

Last edited:

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Knowing the outcome and removing the uncertainty and anticipation of the next 32 years of hockey would destroy any enjoyment of it for me, so I'd quite easily say no

edit: didn't read the post so good

still go with no because powerlessness gets me going ig

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Knowing the outcome and removing the uncertainty and anticipation of the next 32 years of hockey would destroy any enjoyment of it for me, so I'd quite easily say no
Well this is fly in the ointment, but you would then forget the conversation with the genie and that was part of the offer, so I think you have to take it.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Would have to meet and confer with other Columbus fans first, but I think we will vote to get the cup

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I added the emphasis that you wouldn't remember the conversation so you will expierence it all genuinely.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Always something I've wondered and finally wanted to ask:

If a magic genie or something pops up and offers you a deal that he will guarantee your favorite team will win the cup next season, but that would also come with a curse that your team not win another cup for 32 years... would you make that deal?

He will also wipe your memory of ever making the deal so the experience and everything will be genuine.

There are plenty of teams that have never won a cup ever, so 32 years without another cup is not much of a penalty at all. The negative consequences would have to be a lot worse than that for this to even be debatable for some fan bases.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The leafs haven’t won a playoff round in 17 years, a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup in 30 years. Any fan of a Canadian team (especially Toronto or Edmonton) says HELL YES!!!

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Well this is fly in the ointment, but you would then forget the conversation with the genie and that was part of the offer, so I think you have to take it.

Good point - it would be cool to meet a real genie
Other than that I don't think it's worth it though

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
If cup was guaranteed, what would be the point of even watching a single game. The unpredictability of the end result is what makes me interested in sports..

Reactions: OrangePMD

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
If there was a genie who told me my favourite team would win the cup 32 times in a row I would still say no, it would be so boring to know the outcome.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
If cup was guaranteed, what would be the point of even watching a single game. The unpredictability of the end result is what makes me interested in sports..

I agree but in this thought experiment OP specified that you wouldn't remember the deal taking place so it would be a genuine cup run that you get to experience. So it's basically down to if you believe that your team would win more than once in 32 years(also of course your own view of the game/team you support for etc might change, heck some people on here won't be alive in 32 years so there's that).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

If there was a genie who told me my favourite team would win the cup 32 times in a row I would still say no, it would be so boring to know the outcome.

Did you guys even read the OP?

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Not that many chances left for Ovechkin so Caps fans might do this. Pens might be willing to sacrifice some years aswell to build on Crosby's legacy. There will be some waiting for aswell if they dont win soon. In a few years when Ovi/Backstrom/Carlson and Crosby/Malkin/Letang is older/retired it will most likely take time to get cup calibre teams back in Washington and Pittsburgh.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wow pretty even split. A lot good points being made about the contrast of kids and elderly.

As a Pens fan, I think I would do it. A 4th cup would cement Crosby's legacy as top 3 all time.

Reactions: banks

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Pens core is at its last year. So option 1 for me

Pens core is at its last year. So option
Not that many chances left for Ovechkin so Caps fans might do this. Pens might be willing to sacrifice some years aswell to build on Crosby's legacy. There will be some waiting for aswell if they dont win soon. In a few years when Ovi/Backstrom/Carlson and Crosby/Malkin/Letang is older/retired it will most likely take time to get cup calibre teams back in Washington and Pittsburgh.
Until the pens draft bedard. It's no coincidence that the Oilers or penguins have had the consensus best player in the world since 1980.

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
I would.. i'd bet all my money on the stanley cup winner and enjoy life after. What a year that would be !

Reactions: Svencouver

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
In terms of maximizing overall human enjoyment, I think it would be best if each team won the cup once every 32 years. Did Tampa's fans really enjoy the second cup win just as much as the first? Are they going to look back on this team and feel twice as good about what happened? The marginal utility of a second or third cup is ridiculously smaller than that of the first.

Everyone feels this inherently during a blowout/sweep in a playoff series. The first few goals feel amazing. The amount of dopamine you get from them is huge. Lets say your team blows out that same opponent the next night. Are you really going to feel the same as you did the first time? No. This now just feels like the new normal. It's why you feel almost nothing each time a team scores in basketball.

An extreme example is the amount of good done by giving one kid 10 million dollars vs starting one thousand 10K college funds for one thousand different kids.

That said I'm a greedy bastard and think the Avs have a solid shot at a dynasty so I won't jinx it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad