Fun Fact about the 2009 Playoffs

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I'd say the next years playoffs were more interesting. Started with 6 straight series upsets in the east with a 7 vs 8 final. In the west it was 6 straight favourites winning and a 1 vs 2 final. It also featured the flyers coming back from down 0-3 in the series and again in the game in game 7 to beat the Bruins. Plus, as a habs fan I'll mention the halak run we went on.

Reactions: Laveuglette

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting, those 4 have really set the tone for the past decade in the NHL and are still among the best players in the league.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah I don’t think people understand how rare players like this are. People will about them for decades

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
That was when the Ovie vs Crosby rivalry stopped being manufactured and actually became a real thing.

Reactions: DaveG

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
2009 playoffs were great, the Caps-Penguins series, Red Wings against Anaheim and the Cup Finals were amazing too. Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin with big performances.

Reactions: Amen evil king

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
That was a pretty fun playoff year with the young Chicago and Pittsburgh teams both having their coming out parties. That Malkin goal against Cam Ward is burned into my memory.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd say the next years playoffs were more interesting. Started with 6 straight series upsets in the east with a 7 vs 8 final. In the west it was 6 straight favourites winning and a 1 vs 2 final. It also featured the flyers coming back from down 0-3 in the series and again in the game in game 7 to beat the Bruins. Plus, as a habs fan I'll mention the halak run we went on.

was Hal Gill also an important part of that run? i forget but i always seem to remember that he was a good shut down guy for you guys.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
was Hal Gill also an important part of that run? i forget but i always seem to remember that he was a good shut down guy for you guys.

He and Gorges played on our top pairing and their entire strategy was to be pinned in our zone the entire shift but block every shot. It more or less worked too somehow.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

I'm biased but I do think 2010 playoffs were the best of the decade. So many stories.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Unfun fact I ended a friendship shortly after the 1st round unpleasantness for the Devils to be fair it was circling the drain before that. I went to all 4 games that playoffs and twice it ended with an uncomfortable silence, one a OT goal against and one a awful collapse.

Reactions: varank

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Unfun fact I ended a friendship shortly after the 1st round unpleasantness for the Devils to be fair it was circling the drain before that. I went to all 4 games that playoffs and twice it ended with an uncomfortable silence, one a OT goal against and one a awful collapse.

I have never seen a luckier team than the 2009 Hurricanes

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I have never seen a luckier team than the 2009 Hurricanes
Not even the 2006 Hurricanes, who benefited from Montreal's stupidity, and injuries to key players for Buffalo and Edmonton?

Also, the 2009 playoffs never happened. It's like a dark spot in my mind.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Did people start calling Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Kane a big four? Kane doesn't belong. You could argue that Malkin doesn't really either, but I think he's good enough to be included.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
2009 of course featured the only Cup Finals rematch since NYI/EDM in the mid-80s.

And based on the parity of playoff hockey..... at this rate, we could still be talking about PIT/DET as the last back to back Cup Finals many years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad