Full 60, How many teams truly play a full 60

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by ODAAT, Nov 10, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    I posted something in the post GDT about the "full 60" that we all talk about , and the coaches too.

I wonder though, in all fairness, even the elite teams can`t play a full 60 minute game all the time. I`ve watched a few Hawks games, clearly a few Bruins games, the Pens, force fed the Canucks here too. In the game today, it`s a rare thing to see a team completely dominate another team (unless those teams are the Sabres/Oilers), play crisp, concise hockey, giving opponents little to no chance for push back.

I didn`t start a poll here but I was wondering if we were to hear from the teams with the best records coaches, over the course of a full season, what would they put as a realistic number of games as being one`s where they felt they got a true, and bonafide "full 60"????

My guess is 12-15 of pure 60 minute hockey with barely an opponent being able to push back.

You folks??

2. Terrier

Terrier Registered User

Home Page:
    As an fan, it's easy for me to squawk about "the full 60". If I, for instance, tagged along with the Bruins on a long road trip that featured back-to-backs with 3 a.m. hotel arrivals in between, I'd probably get a good taste of how tough it can actually be.

3. PB37

PB37 Mr Selke

All teams have dips and peaks in terms of consistency and effort within the game. It's just that the good teams like the Bruins will still find ways to win regardless of putting in a full 60 or only dominating one/two periods.

4. BobbyAwe

BobbyAwe Registered User

machine operator
    I don't understand? A "full 60" meaning that a team puts out their maximum effort for the whole game doesn't necessarily mean they will dominate the other team for all 60 minutes - what if the other team also gives a "full 60"? It is unrealistic to imagine that every single player on the ice for a certain team will play their best for the entire game, the most you can say is that one team might dominate the other in general in a given game. But i think you are confusing maximum effort ("full 60") with "domination"?

5. RussellmaniaKW

RussellmaniaKW Registered User

I agree that getting a full 60 on a consistent basis out of any team is pretty rare, which is why to me that game 7 victory against the Canucks will always go down as the clearest instance of a team that played a "perfect" game. On the road, game 7, with the stakes that high they put out a perfect 60 minute effort and it was glorious.

6. Artemis

Artemis Took the red pill

Editor
    Good point.

Though it undoubtedly drives coaches mad. :)

7. Colt.45Orr

Colt.45Orr Registered User

Home Page:
    In the playoffs, teams give a full 60(+) min effort quite often. In the regular season? Not many, not often.

8. BNHL

BNHL Registered User Sponsor

Neuroscientist
    50% of the time-Zero.

9. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    None do. It's a cliche

10. BrainOfJ

BrainOfJ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Financial Advisor
    It is unrealistic to expect. The issue is when they go a full 60 without effort.

11. Mr. Make-Believe

Mr. Make-Believe Pass me another nail

Film Critic
    Home Page:

The thing with this is, we've all seen how dominant this team can be when they are going all out. So when there are extended periods of play where they look slow, sloppy and disinterested, the "full 60" slogan comes into play. But it really is little more than a slogan.

Bobby Orr mentioned in his book that Boston fans don't demand the greatest skillset from their sports heroes, but rather effort and gusto. You can be an icon in New England just by giving it your all, all of the time. We tend to harp on it more than most other markets.

While the B's didn't play the "full 60" in last night's game agains the Leafs, I still came away with a huge sense of pride in my team. The last five minutes of that game was absolutely dominated by the B's and they walked away with a big win because of it.

12. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    We see/read/hear coaches/fans and media talking about a 60 minute effort in interviews given all the time. Have a peek at the past GDT`s here, plenty of "60 minute effort" kind of quotes.

Post 3 in the [email protected] thread is merely one reference, took all of 11 posts on the Lightning/Bruins GDT for tomorrow`s tilt