Full 60, How many teams truly play a full 60

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I posted something in the post GDT about the "full 60" that we all talk about , and the coaches too.

I wonder though, in all fairness, even the elite teams can`t play a full 60 minute game all the time. I`ve watched a few Hawks games, clearly a few Bruins games, the Pens, force fed the Canucks here too. In the game today, it`s a rare thing to see a team completely dominate another team (unless those teams are the Sabres/Oilers), play crisp, concise hockey, giving opponents little to no chance for push back.

I didn`t start a poll here but I was wondering if we were to hear from the teams with the best records coaches, over the course of a full season, what would they put as a realistic number of games as being one`s where they felt they got a true, and bonafide "full 60"????

My guess is 12-15 of pure 60 minute hockey with barely an opponent being able to push back.

You folks??

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
As an fan, it's easy for me to squawk about "the full 60". If I, for instance, tagged along with the Bruins on a long road trip that featured back-to-backs with 3 a.m. hotel arrivals in between, I'd probably get a good taste of how tough it can actually be.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
All teams have dips and peaks in terms of consistency and effort within the game. It's just that the good teams like the Bruins will still find ways to win regardless of putting in a full 60 or only dominating one/two periods.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I posted something in the post GDT about the "full 60" that we all talk about , and the coaches too.

I wonder though, in all fairness, even the elite teams can`t play a full 60 minute game all the time. I`ve watched a few Hawks games, clearly a few Bruins games, the Pens, force fed the Canucks here too. In the game today, it`s a rare thing to see a team completely dominate another team (unless those teams are the Sabres/Oilers), play crisp, concise hockey, giving opponents little to no chance for push back.

I didn`t start a poll here but I was wondering if we were to hear from the teams with the best records coaches, over the course of a full season, what would they put as a realistic number of games as being one`s where they felt they got a true, and bonafide "full 60"????

My guess is 12-15 of pure 60 minute hockey with barely an opponent being able to push back.

You folks??

I don't understand? A "full 60" meaning that a team puts out their maximum effort for the whole game doesn't necessarily mean they will dominate the other team for all 60 minutes - what if the other team also gives a "full 60"? It is unrealistic to imagine that every single player on the ice for a certain team will play their best for the entire game, the most you can say is that one team might dominate the other in general in a given game. But i think you are confusing maximum effort ("full 60") with "domination"?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I agree that getting a full 60 on a consistent basis out of any team is pretty rare, which is why to me that game 7 victory against the Canucks will always go down as the clearest instance of a team that played a "perfect" game. On the road, game 7, with the stakes that high they put out a perfect 60 minute effort and it was glorious.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
All teams have dips and peaks in terms of consistency and effort within the game. It's just that the good teams like the Bruins will still find ways to win regardless of putting in a full 60 or only dominating one/two periods.

Good point.

Though it undoubtedly drives coaches mad. :)

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
In the playoffs, teams give a full 60(+) min effort quite often. In the regular season? Not many, not often.

member 96824

It is unrealistic to expect. The issue is when they go a full 60 without effort.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

The thing with this is, we've all seen how dominant this team can be when they are going all out. So when there are extended periods of play where they look slow, sloppy and disinterested, the "full 60" slogan comes into play. But it really is little more than a slogan.

Bobby Orr mentioned in his book that Boston fans don't demand the greatest skillset from their sports heroes, but rather effort and gusto. You can be an icon in New England just by giving it your all, all of the time. We tend to harp on it more than most other markets.

While the B's didn't play the "full 60" in last night's game agains the Leafs, I still came away with a huge sense of pride in my team. The last five minutes of that game was absolutely dominated by the B's and they walked away with a big win because of it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't understand? A "full 60" meaning that a team puts out their maximum effort for the whole game doesn't necessarily mean they will dominate the other team for all 60 minutes - what if the other team also gives a "full 60"? It is unrealistic to imagine that every single player on the ice for a certain team will play their best for the entire game, the most you can say is that one team might dominate the other in general in a given game. But i think you are confusing maximum effort ("full 60") with "domination"?

We see/read/hear coaches/fans and media talking about a 60 minute effort in interviews given all the time. Have a peek at the past GDT`s here, plenty of "60 minute effort" kind of quotes.

Post 3 in the Leafs@Bruins thread is merely one reference, took all of 11 posts on the Lightning/Bruins GDT for tomorrow`s tilt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad