Frustration!

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Everyone overpays in free agency. Why? Because it is a free influx of talent without developmental cost or draft pick cost. It only costs money. That is why it costs to play. You use free agency as a tool and know you will need to pay more to acquire the top talent. You will get cheaper players after the initial dust settles because they are the flawed player, the non-premium talent.

I find it hilarious that a team with 15 million in cap space, fourth lowest expenditure in the league, is reticent to use said cap space. It is a blind spot and unfortunate.

It also goes against the mantra that "he tried so hard - we couldn't force them to take our money". From Poiles on mouth, "he didn't expect to be shopping."

At least there is the trade market .... Waiting for the other shoe to drop!

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I think alot of the frustration stems from a lack of understanding that we do not operate in a vacuum.

1. It's been evident for a long, long time that guys like Vanek, Statsny we're heavily favored to go to one team (especially in Statsny's case - who took a lesser deal to sign with StL). There's only so much you can do - do you offer 9 million for 7 years for a 60 point center in Stastny? C'mon, that would have been rediculous.

2. I see alot of "Well, how are we going to beat the Kings?!?!?" We don't need to beat the Kings, or the Hawks. There was no player available that would have vaulted us ahead of them on paper. We could have signed all the free agents, and we were not going to all of a sudden be better than the Kings/Hawks on paper.

3. So it's a good thing that games aren't played on paper. Who could have predicted Rinne missing so much time last year? Is everyone so sure that Lehtonen and Varlamov will repeat what was pretty much career years? The Kings are so good they were taken to 7 games 3 times, finished 3rd in the Pacific, and the 6th seed in the West. Teams play up, teams play down. Spezza has a wonky back - he's going to miss time in Dallas. Minnesota's goaltending is still a mess.

4. Free agents, by their nature, are flawed players. Else they wouldn't be free agents. Sure, every so often you get a Suter that reaches UFA. There were no Suters in this class. Everyone declaring that Stastny's the top free agent available doesn't transform him from a nice 2C to an elite 1C. He is what he is. Vanek is still the same guy that vanished for MTL and was called out publically. Moulson is a nice sniper who doesn't play physical.

Next, from a numbers standpoint - alot of these guys just aren't as great as everyone thinks they are. They're 55-65 point guys. Nice players who could have helped us, but people are acting like if we have landed a Stastny/Vanek - all we have to do is plan the parade route. Those weren't those types of players.

4. "Just make a trade!!!" I think anyone who continues to repeat this mantra should spend some time on the trade board. Believe it or not, other teams want to win too. If we want a big time player, we're going to have to give more than spare parts. This "Why doesn't Poile just trade Wilson+Beck for Eric Staal" type stuff is not even in the realm of reality.

We still have a team capable of getting into the playoffs, we have improved. I'm excited for the season.

Last edited:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I'll give most people here enough credit to understand we don't operate in a vacuum ... I just don't think they let that get in the way of a perfectly good anti-Poile rant. Contextualization is an excuse here.

There are plenty of other reasons for a good anti-Poile rant - don't have to waste it on a "Poile didn't sign the flavor-of-the-day savior". :naughty:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The standings prediction thread over on the main boards pretty much have us finishing either last or next to last in the Central - and that's just on the first page.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The standings prediction thread over on the main boards pretty much have us finishing either last or next to last in the Central - and that's just on the first page.

And you would have expected otherwise? That's actually where I predicted us in the division. There's no way without a mountain of injuries to the other teams that we are touching the top 5.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Thats where we were last year and still damn near made the playoffs. There is not doubt this will be the toughest division in hockey, that still doesn't mean the playoffs aren't doable.

Frankly after two years being out getting back in this division would probably be a hell of a thing.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Thats where we were last year and still damn near made the playoffs. There is not doubt this will be the toughest division in hockey, that still doesn't mean the playoffs aren't doable.

Frankly after two years being out getting back in this division would probably be a hell of a thing.
That's where we are every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad