Kings Article: From Rock Bottom To The NHL: LA Kings G Jack Campbell

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
By now, you know that Los Angeles Kings backup goaltender Jack Campbell earned his first National Hockey League win last week in Las Vegas. You may also know that goaltender Darcy Kuemper was traded to the Arizona Coyotes, which means that Campbell is now the Kings' backup netminder for the foreseeable future.

What you may not know is that it has taken almost eight years since he was drafted to make it to the NHL, and that he came within a hair of being at the end of his career two seasons ago.

Campbell's story is an interesting one and you can read about it here...

From Rock Bottom To The NHL: LA Kings G Jack Campbell

Last edited:

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Huge fan of Jack, player but most of all the person.

I'm a life long Stars fan (Applause ) and I met him up here in Edmonton during the World Juniors a few years ago. We chatted and he asked if I would be at the New Years Eve game vs Canada. Yes I was going, so he said to come down to the tunnel after the game.

I headed down with a friend, we waited. About 25-30 minutes later security was telling us we will have to leave, and that the USA team is leaving for a team dinner. I had faith in Jack so I asked that we'd be allowed to wait 5 more minutes.

Sure enough, Jack comes walking out towards us. They lost, but he was in fine spirit. Originally he had planned on giving me his stick, but they already loaded them up so he brought me his blocker instead. I came prepared with a blue marker and he signed it for me.

We've been in touch a few times since. He's a great guy. Was extremely happy for him when he got his win.

You guys play up here March 24. Hoping he is still up with the team at that point. If so, I'll grab myself tickets to the game and go early to say hi.

Any thoughts there? Is he likely to still be up? I'm guessing/hoping so but I'm unaware of your guys goalie plan moving forward for the rest of the season. Any insight so I can get on it ahead of time would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Huge fan of Jack, player but most of all the person.

I'm a life long Stars fan (Applause ) and I met him up here in Edmonton during the World Juniors a few years ago. We chatted and he asked if I would be at the New Years Eve game vs Canada. Yes I was going, so he said to come down to the tunnel after the game.

I headed down with a friend, we waited. About 25-30 minutes later security was telling us we will have to leave, and that the USA team is leaving for a team dinner. I had faith in Jack so I asked that we'd be allowed to wait 5 more minutes.

Sure enough, Jack comes walking out towards us. They lost, but he was in fine spirit. Originslly he had planned on giving me his stick, but they already loaded them up so he brought me his blocker instead. I came prepared with a blue marker and he signed it for me.

We've been in touch a few times since. He's a great guy. Was extremely gappy for him when he got his win.

You guys play up here March 24. Hoping he is still up with the team at that point. If so, I'll grab myself tickets to the game and go early to say hi.

Any thoughts there? Is he likely to still be up? I'm guessing/hoping so but I'm unaware of your guys goalie plan moving forward for the rest of the season. Any insight so I can get on it ahead of time would be appreciated. Thanks.

Great story, thank you!

I expect him to be with the team for the rest of the season. Kuemper was traded to Arizona, so he's not battling anyone for the backup role.

Reactions: tjcurrie

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Thank you for the uplifting post.

I also think he'd be up for the rest of the season. No one in the AHL is ready. I don't think they'll be ready next year either so Jack Campbell should be the backup next season, too.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Thanks to the both of you for replying. Definitely a great story and something that makes you a fan or life. I will get on those tickets to make sure I'm there. Will send him a message too just to let him know. Would be great if he got the start too, but either way, looking forward to the 24th now.

Thanks again

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks to the both of you for replying. Definitely a great story and something that makes you a fan or life. I will get on those tickets to make sure I'm there. Will send him a message too just to let him know. Would be great if he got the start too, but either way, looking forward to the 24th now.

Thanks again

No problem. If in your contact with him you can let him know that Kings fans are very proud of him and happy for him, that would be appreciated!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad