News Article: From prospect to player, Nazem Kadri is making the most of his time in Toronto

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Kadri doesn't agree with you. :D

Well, when you consider that they replaced him with Tim Brent...he might have a point. He did come up near the end of that season and play reasonably well (although at that point they "decided" he couldn't play centre and had to play wing).

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end it's worked out alright for the present. Kadri has gotten a lot of time in the AHL with Eakins and has improved in a lot of respects. Just wish the organization had figured out to keep him playing center so his faceoff skills would be better than they currently are.

Can't argue with what he's accomplished so far. Leading the team in points and just finding ways to produce. Some really nice passes as well :).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Eakins is smart, use your offensive skills to anticipate a player what they will do. This is what Doug Gilmour used to do, he was smarter on both sides of the puck than 99% of the players in the NHL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nicholas J. Cotsonika is the NHL writer for Yahoo! Sports. He previously worked for the Detroit Free Press, where he covered the Red Wings, Lions and several other subjects. He has written three books, including "Hockey Gods: The Inside Story of the Red Wings' Hall of Fame Team."

Is an excellent writer.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Can't wait until Fratts is back. I'd like more magic. Then when we get Lupul just stick JVR with Kadri - Frattin. Boom!

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kadri doesn't agree with you. :D
Really?
In the article he actually says that he felt he should have been playing in his first year eligible. I have yet to see an article or quote where kadri says he shouldn't have been playing in the nhl since day one.
I think he could have been a great third line producer for the last couple of years but what's done is done.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
I really felt bad for Rosie and Orr under Wilson, I have said this a few times, but they must have felt like circus animals rather than human beings. RC having Orr on the 3rd line, you don't think players notice that? Orr is very respected in the room, I have told this story before, but prior to a playoff game last year Marlies were playing, Nazem was going to grabbing some fast food, Orr said menacing to him "you better be good tonight Naz". Naz changed dining plans. Positive leader that works hard for his teammates and himself to get back to the NHL.

He's a feel good story, Burke gets credit for sticking with him, I recall sweating it out when he passed waivers.

Where the hell did you hear this? Sounds like some made up stuff to me.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Trade him while his value is an all-time high. Teams havn't had the chance to study him yet, once they do his numbers will drop drastically.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Trade him while his value is an all-time high. Teams havn't had the chance to study him yet, once they do his numbers will drop drastically.

Kadri has the sickest hands on the team (Lupul has even quoted so). He has skill and you don't teach skill. His numbers are only going up with experience.

caramelontop

Feb 12, 2013
Thunder Bay

you double-posted. IN TWO DIFFERENT THREADS. lol. why u hating on the kid? Leafs finally get one kid to develop and you want to trade him ? I don't think so.......

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Yes we should always trade good young players before people figure out how they play, that way we can ensure we never have good players .....:shakehead

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada

So what you are saying is, while other teams study him and adapt to his game, Kadri himself will do nothing to adapt his own playing style to the new approaches that teams take towards him despite a recent history of changing his game to make the NHL? I do hope that post was intended for sarcasm...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kadri is proof of how important patience and development are for young players.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Your opinion holds no value to me and i think you live under a bridge, welcome to the local blackout rule.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Yeah, we should do something dumb and trade him for O'Rielly, and give them even more.

Gimme a break! I admit I was a long-time Kadri-doubter, but he's coming into his own right now, and there is no reason to move him unless you are getting a significant return, and that player is not Ryan O'Rielly.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Kads is proof that Wilson is a moron .

Lucky for us Kadri never doubted himself and kept his confidence . They could have easily ruined the kid the way they treated him . I also find it disturbing a kid who's now playing very well at the NHL level as a C was being played on the wing the majority of time in the minors .

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Great article. Love the stuff Kadri is doing. Love what Eakins is doing. Love what Carlyle's doing.

Some biting words for Wilson though and I'm not surprised that Kadri would be the one to do it. He strikes me as an honest guy who probably isn't used to giving cookie cutter answers and while he'll probably be practicing those cliche answers, from time to time, we'll probably get some uncensored comments like the ones he not so subtly made about Wilson and his staff.

It was only one line in the article but it stood out to me - Carlyle was well versed with the Kadri drama while he was still in Anaheim. Damn :laugh:

MajorityRules*

BINGO

I never doubted Kadri's talent or that he would make it to the NHL. I am however glad he got some time in the minors to develop both sides of his game with a truely understanding coach in Eakins and without the immense negativity the team was going through the last couple of years.

I hope the Leafs continue to take a patient approach to the rest of their prospects. So far it looks to be proving beneficial.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
In the end it's worked out alright for the present. Kadri has gotten a lot of time in the AHL with Eakins and has improved in a lot of respects. Just wish the organization had figured out to keep him playing center so his faceoff skills would be better than they currently are.

Can't argue with what he's accomplished so far. Leading the team in points and just finding ways to produce. Some really nice passes as well :).

The biggest issue with Naz's faceoffs is NHL inexperience. He played a decent amount of his AHL time at center, though much more at wing. He played his best there too. Dallas moved him back there several times. I can only assume he was told to move him back to wing, otherwise I don't see why he'd move him to a position he's less effective at. Dallas is too smart a coach IMO for that.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Really?
In the article he actually says that he felt he should have been playing in his first year eligible. I have yet to see an article or quote where kadri says he shouldn't have been playing in the nhl since day one.
I think he could have been a great third line producer for the last couple of years but what's done is done.

He's said that the AHL has benefited him in his development a lot, and if you read the actual quote from the article here, he doesn't say he should've been in the NHL first year. He says that's he's confident he could've. That's just his personality. There is imo a big difference.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What a great environment to be in. Thank goodness Wilson is gone. Man, oh man.
This, honestly, worst coach I've seen in Toronto for a long, long time. The guy never spoke on the bench, never appeared to be coaching; Carlyle is the polar opposite from the looks of it.

Long live:
Naz
1964_red_cadillac_deville_convertible_for_sale_in_stanton_ia_51573_93585622454873276.jpg

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It's what happens you allow/force a player to develop at a pace that suits him. It's why we brought in stop gaps like Connolly.

I know there were some who wanted him up right away and called it patience when it was the exact opposite they were looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad