News Article: From prospect to player, Nazem Kadri is making the most of his time in Toronto

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He would be better today had he not been converted to a winger by people who thought that he wasn't good enough to play center.

He would be better today if the conditioning and coaching staff understood that he needed to play a quick game and needed to increase core strength and speed as opposed to simply gaining muscle mass.

He would have been better today if he played sheltered minutes in the NHL out of his draft year, as opposed to being sent back to London where he spent his days dangling around defenders who he was clearly better than.

He would be at the level of a Jeff Skinner today if that had all happened. I am hopeful that he will still reach his highest potential - but I don't consider Wilson's ineptitude with Kadri as a "triumph of development".

I don't see how being handed something without earning it would have been helpful. After watching him this year it's tough for me to imagine the "tough love" approach wasn't the correct way.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Great counter point!
I certainly didnt say he hasnt benefitted. I do think though that he has been good enough for the nhl for years and he could have crafted his game there just as well. It's all speculative though and certainly something to consider for all those crowing now about the leaf's great development system.

Watch what Kadri was like during his time in the OHL and his pre-season games. He drags the puck up solo and loses it. He may have put up decent numbers in his first pre-season but that was because he was not facing top line talent or players, he was facing other rookies. He absolutly needed all the time he got in the AHL to help craft his game and get rid of his ego. Kadri would have faced some rough injuries in his draft year due to his weight and height, look at RNH. His first year and even though he put up good numbers, he got a nasty shoulder injury and ended his season. Hell, he is still suffering from that injury.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kadri was a turnover machine and a floater early in his pro career. Been watching the Marlies very closely since the beginning of the 2011 season and his has improved so much over his tenure with the Marlies.
He was maybe a turnover machine when he was 19 but since he's cut out the blue line shenanigans he's dramatically cut his turnovers. That simple change is something that could have been instituted in the nhl years ago. Also, if you've followed Kadri so closely in the AHL then you must obviously see that the game he is playing now for the Leafs is quite dissimilar to how he was playing for the Marlies. All this inspired play with massive back checking, diving to block shots, concentrating super hard on making the small play was NOT evident in Kadri's game in the AHL, maybe a bit in the playoffs but certainly not on a game to game basis. If you truly have been watching the AhL over the last couple of years you would see that he generally coasts looking for good scoring chances, turns the puck over more often, and doesn't sacrifice his body with such regularity. This inspired play for the Leafs is 100% derivative of him making the team out of camp and finally being part of the team. If he had made it years ago you would have seen the same commitment imo.

The only reason I keep going on and on about this is because it's tiring to hear people who were probably calling Kadri a bust 6 months ago now suddenly going on about how development has paid off. He's not years apart in his game from a year ago, sorry. With the right linemates last year he could have likely produced at a similar level.

Last edited:

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Agreed. We have to do our level best to keep in him this organization as long as possible.

And Kadri is impressing, no question. What has surprised me most about him so far is his consistency. He's had a bad game or two, but almost every night he's making something out of nothing on a creative play, throwing a big hit, or drawing a penalty. Looking like the real deal.

And what I like the most that he is doing it as it's not a big deal. So BOSS! Keep it up, Nardri! :yo:

G51 K81*

He was maybe a turnover machine when he was 19 but since he's cut out the blue line shenanigans he's dramatically cut his turnovers. That simple change is something that could have been instituted in the nhl years ago. Also, if you've followed Kadri so closely in the AHL then you must obviously see that the game he is playing now for the Leafs is quite dissimilar to how he was playing for the Marlies. All this inspired play with massive back checking, diving to block shots, concentrating super hard on making the small play was NOT evident in Kadri's game in the AHL, maybe a bit in the playoffs but certainly not on a game to game basis. If you truly have been watching the AhL over the last couple of years you would see that he generally coasts looking for good scoring chances, turns the puck over more often, and doesn't sacrifice his body with such regularity. This inspired play for the Leafs is 100% derivative of him making the team out of camp and finally being part of the team. If he had made it years ago you would have seen the same commitment imo.

The only reason I keep going on and on about this is because it's tiring to hear people who were probably calling Kadri a bust 6 months ago now suddenly going on about how development has paid off. He's not years apart in his game from a year ago, sorry. With the right linemates last year he could have likely produced at a similar level.

Although you make a strong argument, because I do agree he was what you say he was in the AHL up to the moment he made the team this year, I was talking about the maturity issue. He could have played house league for the past 3 years for all I care, but someone had to hammer it into his head that if he didn't play both ends of the ice he had no shot at making the team(at least while he was on his ELC). He finally has bought into the system and I think it took him 3 years to realize what it takes to stay here.

But don't try to say that those things that you mentioned (turnovers at the blueline, coasting, defensive awareness) weren't there when he was called up over the past 2 years. He was still that turnover machine/coaster and those habits were there in both the NHL and AHL.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Maybe Kessel was developed improperly? God forbid Kessel actually play defensive once and a while.

If I had a choice of Kadri with Kessel's defense but made the NHL earlier or Kadri now playing at this level.... Easy choice.

Kadri could have just as easily developed at the NHL level as he did in the AHL , you don't learn how to play in the NHL in the minors .

The minors are there to develop your skill set , gain consistency and to mature physically and mentally . Some players don't need to to play in the minors and some others need a few months or a few years but every individual is different .

In Kads case he always had the skill level to play in the NHL and he could have learned the rest at a much quicker pace had they just left him in the NHL .

G51 K81*

Kadri could have just as easily developed at the NHL level as he did in the AHL , you don't learn how to play in the NHL in the minors .

The minors are there to develop your skill set , gain consistency and to mature physically and mentally . Some players don't need to to play in the minors and some others need a few months or a few years but every individual is different .

In Kads case he always had the skill level to play in the NHL and he could have learned the rest at a much quicker pace had they just left him in the NHL .

Pretty much what I said earlier. Mentally. He always had the skill.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't see how being handed something without earning it would have been helpful. After watching him this year it's tough for me to imagine the "tough love" approach wasn't the correct way.

He earned it from his first training camp where he outplayed guys like Stajan, Hagman and others.

He earned it last year outplaying guys like Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong and others.

Wilson might have made himself feel better by selling to the media that his "tough love" was needed to break Kadri's confidence and rebuild him into a better player. Thankfully Wilson was unsuccessful and Kadri's confidence and talent emerged despite him.

Can you envision if we tried that "tough love" for one more year? Kadri would have refused to sign as an RFA, and we would have seen what our "smart development" gave us.

PS: If this is "the proper way" to develop young players, why did Wilson give Grabovski tons of playing time in his first few years in the NHL even though he would turn it over, try to deke in the neutral zone. Why was NHL playing time good for Grabovski's development but bad for Kadri's?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He earned it from his first training camp where he outplayed guys like Stajan, Hagman and others.

He earned it last year outplaying guys like Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong and others.

Wilson might have made himself feel better by selling to the media that his "tough love" was needed to break Kadri's confidence and rebuild him into a better player. Thankfully Wilson was unsuccessful and Kadri's confidence and talent emerged despite him.

Can you envision if we tried that "tough love" for one more year? Kadri would have refused to sign as an RFA, and we would have seen what our "smart development" gave us.

PS: If this is "the proper way" to develop young players, why did Wilson give Grabovski tons of playing time in his first few years in the NHL even though he would turn it over, try to deke in the neutral zone. Why was NHL playing time good for Grabovski's development but bad for Kadri's?

You come across that you feel Kadri was held back for some personal reason and not as part of development, which to me makes no sense at all.

Kadri's 2nd year he was hurt at the end of camp. Grabovski was quite a bit older when given those opportunities.

I'm not sure what the percentage of drafted Players that step right into the League is but I'd guess it's very small. I don't know many that thought Kadri should have made it as an 18 year old.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Nazem Kadri has always put more effort into the defensive side of the game at the NHL level than he has at the AHL level. I dont think anyone can reject this idea. Obviously his positioning has improved, and he no longer feels the need to do something special every time he gets the puck.

His AHL time has definitely helped, but I dont believe for a second that he learned to play defence in the AHL

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
And what I like the most that he is doing it as it's not a big deal. So BOSS! Keep it up, Nardri! :yo:

what.png

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

More prospects have been ruined by being rushed as apposed to taking their time and developing. Regardless of the reason kadri was not brought up sooner, certainlly doesnt look like it has hurt and or hindered his progress today.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
You come across that you feel Kadri was held back for some personal reason and not as part of development, which to me makes no sense at all.

Kadri's 2nd year he was hurt at the end of camp. Grabovski was quite a bit older when given those opportunities.

I'm not sure what the percentage of drafted Players that step right into the League is but I'd guess it's very small. I don't know many that thought Kadri should have made it as an 18 year old.

I honestly believe they were trying to be extra cautious with him in his first year, even though he had a very strong training camp.

I think very little of the Leafs conditioning staff, and I think they've had a hand in the regression of players like Kadri, Schenn, Gunnarsson (in his second season), Stralman and others. I do think the extra year in London hurt him as well. I can elaborate on that if you want.

In his second training camp, he was slow and he had awful balance and coordination on the ice.

I think - or know - that Wilson had Kadri pencilled in as the 3rd line Center prior to training camp.

I think the personal feelings entered in here. Wilson felt like Kadri let him down and hurt the Leafs that season. The rest of Wilson's decisions and comments on Kadri from that point toward were not only negative, but personal.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Liked this article. If Kadri can one day end up getting 70 points on a regular basis, we may not need to get that elusive #1 center. Skillwise, he was one of the top players in his draft. If I recall, he had attitude problems which caused him to drop. Sounds like he's matured, and hopefully he can start putting up big numbers by the '15 playoffs. Bonus if he does so next year.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I honestly believe they were trying to be extra cautious with him in his first year, even though he had a very strong training camp.

I think very little of the Leafs conditioning staff, and I think they've had a hand in the regression of players like Kadri, Schenn, Gunnarsson (in his second season), Stralman and others. I do think the extra year in London hurt him as well. I can elaborate on that if you want.

In his second training camp, he was slow and he had awful balance and coordination on the ice.

I think - or know - that Wilson had Kadri pencilled in as the 3rd line Center prior to training camp.

I think the personal feelings entered in here. Wilson felt like Kadri let him down and hurt the Leafs that season. The rest of Wilson's decisions and comments on Kadri from that point toward were not only negative, but personal.

Oh boo hoo on the Wilson thing. Kadri wasn't ready to play in the league and is still not a sure thing in the defensive end either. That is what RC knows and I and many others here think. Give it up!

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

I agree 100 %, Marlies games were broadcast because of the negotiations so we could all see Kadri in the AHL. He was awful, he was making every mistake that he was accused of making and causing him to not graduate to the NHL, so I thought there's no way he would make the NHL, ever.

Really I just think he was too talented for the AHL and needed to learn in the NHL. I feel that Kadri was held back for too long and his growth stagnated. Eakins is getting a lot of credit for developing NHL ready players (NHL ready players) but now I think we'll actually see the player he was 2 years ago learning and adapting in the environment for which he should have been in.

I just think it was exhausting that we had to endure Steckle as 1st line center, Steckle on 1st PP unit and whatever stupid place they thought to put him when we already had the solution.

Who didn't always think he was a center, Leaf management thought he should be a winger, so now he needs to learn rudiments of that position like face-offs. The AHL was a waste of time for Kadri and will always be for the truly talented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad