from khan : blash on nemeth ''hes strong,strong,strong''

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I remember he was a pretty highly regarded prospect for Dallas back in the day, before a string of injuries. It’ll be interesting to see how he does. But even if he does great, that’s not enough to say Yzerman knows something Kenny doesn’t when it comes to defenseman though. Although the data we do have doesn’t bode too well for Holland there.

Anyone remember any of the free agent D that the Wings were publicly interested in or publicly opposed to? I specifically remember Holland’s camp saying they ultimately thought Stralman and Niskanen were overrated when they hit free agency for the first time. Both guys went on to do great for their teams. Instead, around that same time, we were interested in Jovocop and Robidas. And if I’m not mistaken, Jovo ended up retiring shortly after and Robidas was close to landing his ticket to Robidas island.

I still think about this sometimes - it’s disturbing to know how off Holland and co. were and how quickly it became evident.

Anyone know of any others?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Anyone remember any of the free agent D that the Wings were publicly interested in or publicly opposed to? I specifically remember Holland’s camp saying they ultimately thought Stralman and Niskanen were overrated when they hit free agency for the first time. Both guys went on to do great for their teams. Instead, around that same time, we were interested in Jovocop and Robidas. And if I’m not mistaken, Jovo ended up retiring shortly after and Robidas was close to landing his ticket to Robidas island.
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure you have the story backwards. The Wings made substantial offers to Stralman and Niskanen but neither were interested in signing with Detroit. I think Holland actually offered more to Niskanen than Washington did.

You’re right about Jovanovski though. The Wings wanted to sign him.

I’m not sure how serious they were about Robidas.

Reactions: Henkka

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure you have the story backwards. The Wings made substantial offers to Stralman and Niskanen but neither were interested in signing with Detroit. I think Holland actually offered more to Niskanen than Washington did.

yeah my memory is the Wings were pretty high on Niskanen and were at least saying they were willing to offer a long term deal.

To Reddwit's larger point though all you really have to do is look at our blueline for the last several years to see that Holland didn't do well through development or signing of D-men.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
McIlrath is essentially an Ericsson who hits/fights and skates slightly better.

Sadly Ericsson graduated from the Anders Lilja school of Human Pylons.
BigE has a hip injury, Lilja just sucked. BigE is an underrated fighter, he's only lost a couple bouts in his career. He looked like he was going to be a decent Dman until he signed that contract knowing his hip was screwed up.

The problem with BigE is that he won't start a fight, only fights to defend himself. BigE is fine as a 7th or 8th D, someone has to sit in the press box.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I thought the story was that we were interested in Niskanen, but that interest wasn't shared on Niskanen's end. The wings compared Kindl to Stralman and didn't seem to have any real interest. Then he signed in Tampa and has been great for them. And a lot of folks around here were wondering how in the hell Kindl in any way was comparable to Stralman. Though, have to admit, I wasn't a big Stralman fan at the time, either.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't remember Jovanovski or Robidas being high on the Wings radar that offseason. IIRC, they were more or less presented as fall back options by Khan and HSJ if the Wings didn't get who they wanted.

The two main guys at the top of their list were Niskanen and Dan Boyle. They were also high on Ehrhoff if they had to settle for a LHD.

Worked out for the better I suppose. Niskanen would be another bad contract on the books at this point, Ehrhoff was out of the league in less time than Holland was apparently offering (3 years IIRC) and while Boyle was OK for the Rangers in the same 2 years Holland offered. He probably doesn't move the needle much more for the Wings than what they got panic re-signing Quincey. Getting Green the next summer for a reasonable term was probably the best outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Stralman wouldn't have done much for the Wings.
He was a great fit in Tampa.
But he's not a guy you could have added to Detroit and expected him to make a huge impact.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Worked out for the better I suppose. Niskanen would be another bad contract on the books at this point, Ehrhoff was out of the league in less time than Holland was apparently offering (3 years IIRC) and while Boyle was OK for the Rangers in the same 2 years Holland offered. He probably doesn't move the needle much more for the Wings than what they got panic re-signing Quincey. Getting Green the next summer for a reasonable term was probably the best outcome.
You know Nisky got traded this summer, right? He's still a decent PMD, Caps couldn't afford him so they traded him for Gudas, and Philly retained salary on that deal.

Agreed that nobody would have moved the needle enough to get this team into contention. That's why Nisky didn't sign. (He didn't mention the actual name of the team, but he did say that he had a higher offer than what the Caps gave him and he declined.)

I'm a fan of Greenie, but not his propensity to get sick or injured.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You know Nisky got traded this summer, right? He's still a decent PMD, Caps couldn't afford him so they traded him for Gudas, and Philly retained salary on that deal.

Agreed that nobody would have moved the needle enough to get this team into contention. That's why Nisky didn't sign. (He didn't mention the actual name of the team, but he did say that he had a higher offer than what the Caps gave him and he declined.)

I'm a fan of Greenie, but not his propensity to get sick or injured.

You know Lucic got traded too, right?

My context for "another bad contract" is what I assume the Red Wings fan narrative is if Niskanen takes that allegedly slightly richer 7 year offer from the Red Wings instead of going to the Caps. Considering the following:

-For the duration of that contract, Detroit has had much less talent than the Caps in front of, around and behind where Niskanen would've been in the line up
-Niskanen in for 7 years at around $6M/year in July 2014 means no Quincey for two more years (a good thing) and probably no Green signing in July 2015 (maybe level in terms of impact to Niskanen, possibly slightly less given that Niskanen is clearly better defensively)

Given those factors, his hypothetical impact on the Wings probably isn't what it's been for the Caps (prior to this past season, where he noticeably took a step back). By the time the team misses the playoffs in 2016 or 2017 with a majority of Niskanen's deal still remaining as the teams highest paid Dman, it's likely tacked onto Holland's list of blunders from that period of time and called a bad contract by the fanbase.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You know Lucic got traded too, right?

My context for "another bad contract" is what I assume the Red Wings fan narrative is if Niskanen takes that allegedly slightly richer 7 year offer from the Red Wings instead of going to the Caps. Considering the following:

-For the duration of that contract, Detroit has had much less talent than the Caps in front of, around and behind where Niskanen would've been in the line up
-Niskanen in for 7 years at around $6M/year in July 2014 means no Quincey for two more years (a good thing) and probably no Green signing in July 2015 (maybe level in terms of impact to Niskanen, possibly slightly less given that Niskanen is clearly better defensively)

Given those factors, his hypothetical impact on the Wings probably isn't what it's been for the Caps (prior to this past season, where he noticeably took a step back). By the time the team misses the playoffs in 2016 or 2017 with a majority of Niskanen's deal still remaining as the teams highest paid Dman, it's likely tacked onto Holland's list of blunders from that period of time and called a bad contract by the fanbase.
Come on buddy, you can't compare those 2 trades. Niskanen has value, Philly retained salary on Gudas.

I'll agree with you that Nisky on the Wings would have less trade value than Nisky on the Caps. That's pretty obvious logic.

At the same time, I think the Wings would have won more games with Nisky than Green simply because he doesn't have as much health issues. Maybe with those few extra wins, the team wins the Ranger's spot in the lottery or winds up picking someone different than Zadina the prior year. Who knows? Either way the contract would expire in 2021, so it would have no long term impact on the team.

It's just conjecture at this point, but let's not bash Nisky. He's a class act, 32 YO PMD, still plays well. Not a physical player, but a guy with decent hockey IQ that would be a good mentor to guys like Cholo or Hronek. I wouldn't be complaining if he was on this team, this team has some big garbage contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad