From 11/12 to 13 - Coaching

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I think coaching is an understated difference between the oilers of 2011 and 2013. Yes our lineup will have a few different pieces, but IMO the new coach will ultimately have the biggest impact on this team in 2013.

Now more than ever, this team is suited to be a high speed and attacking offensive team. Our top 3 Canadians, and our Czech speak for themselves, but the additions of Yakupov, Shultz, and (hopefully an improved) MPS, means the oilers are suited for a faster paced and offensively minded style of play.

Is this the biggest difference between the oilers of 2011 and 2013?

Moreover, how do you see Ralph Krueger change the identity of this hockey club?

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Why do we need a coach to teach offence to some of the most highly regarded young offensive talent in hockey?

The problem is on the other end, if Krueger can't teach these young players to reduce chances and play responsibly the Oilers will get buried.

Oct 15, 2008
Why do we need a coach to teach offence to some of the most highly regarded young offensive talent in hockey?

The problem is on the other end, if Krueger can't teach these young players to reduce chances and play responsibly the Oilers will get buried.

If only we would hire Mactavish!

Well, who am I kidding, nobody is that stupid, not even these clowns.:laugh:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
You bring up a good point, but you run the risk of a MacT/Renney dilemma where offensive players' most important attributes are destroyed in the efforts of better defense.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I'll wait to see what kind of system the Oilers will use this season..

Sometimes it felt like they were playing without a system the last few years. Irritated me.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I'll wait to see what kind of system the Oilers will use this season..

Sometimes it felt like they were playing without a system the last few years. Irritated me.

It was a bizarro world system where you got benched playing well and got to stay on playing like crap.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City

This is exactly what I'm getting at. I think Renney held back our top end offensive players from doing what they do best. Defensive responsibility isn't the be-all and end-all of successful hockey.

My hope is that Krueger lets the plethora of offensive talent on this team explore what they have within them. Let the artists be artists. Keep the cooks in the kitchen. Each player is not born the same, nor are their roles.

SirMcJesusThe1st

Jul 10, 2003
Edmonton
Of course you'll see a change in the coaching philosophy.. People need to realize Quinn/Renney weren't longterm solutions, and they sure weren't brought in and told to win at all costs. It was all about development..

It gave our core a chance to get some different perspectives from some experienced and highly touted coaches..

Won't be long before its blatantly obvious whether or not Kreuger will be coaching to win.. I think we all know the answer to that though.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
This is exactly what I'm getting at. I think Renney held back our top end offensive players from doing what they do best. Defensive responsibility isn't the be-all and end-all of successful hockey.

My hope is that Krueger lets the plethora of offensive talent on this team explore what they have within them. Let the artists be artists. Keep the cooks in the kitchen. Each player is not born the same, nor are their roles.

What defensive responsibility? lol. The Oilers never played defense since 2006.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad