Confirmed with Link: Frolik to WPG

Nothingman*

Bowman going to take a plunge via free agency?

That is what I am guessing. If people were *****ing about Bollie and his salary on the third line then Fro and his salary on the fourth should garner the same ire. It is unfortunate but I am hoping the 'plan' comes through for us.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm just glad we'll see more of our prospects next year. I'm fine with getting rid of two bottom six guys in return for 5 picks and $5m of cap space

LandofLincoln*

More happy about this move than Bolland, but like both moves so far. We have more cap space than necessary, but knowing Stan he will find a way to keep the 3rd defensive pairing the leagues envy.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
It sucks, but it had to be done. He was getting paid too much for his role. It's a shame, because him and Kruger together was great for a 4th line and 1st PK unit. I wish him the best in Winnipeg.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I really liked Frolik, but it had to be done. One of those guys I'll be cheering for over his career.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Frolik can be more than a fourth line player on another team and I'm sure someone would have paid him 2 mil as a UFA so if we kept him it was in all likelihood for next year only. At least we have guys coming up, although no one is going to fill his shoes. Never took a shift off. Good luck Fro.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Frolik's cap hit was $2.3mil, for a 4th line player.
Bolland's was $3.4mil, for a 4th line player.

These moves had to be made.

That's a gross misconception of what Frolik was, as a player, for us last year.

Yes he's offensively challenged and technically was a 4th liner, but he was one of the best, and arguably the best defensive winger in the NHL last year. Above all he was a PK ace and was great in every game the entire playoffs. I mean, can you recall even ONE game where Frolik was subpar? I can't. He was at the very least good, and consistently awesome throughout the entire run.

Normally would I want us to shell out 2.3 million for a 4th liner? No, so on the surface I would be with you. Would I pay out 2.3 million to get 82 games + playoffs for the player Frolik was LAST season? Yes, or as Shaw would say "****ing A Right"!

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Don't assume that the cap space will be replaced. According to Cap Geek, last year they were 2.8 M under the cap and in '11-'12 they were 3.8 M under the cap.

That's even more probable if there's a strong group of potential FAs to make for attractive trade deadline acquisitions.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I'll miss you buddy.

There goes any chance of us ever pulling the groin of a VAN goalie on a penalty shot again.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hate it. HATE.

You and me both, buddy.

Yes he's offensively challenged and technically was a 4th liner, but he was one of the best, and arguably the best defensive winger in the NHL last year. Above all he was a PK ace and was great in every game the entire playoffs. I mean, can you recall even ONE game where Frolik was subpar? I can't. He was at the very least good, and consistently awesome throughout the entire run.

Normally would I want us to shell out 2.3 million for a 4th liner? No, so on the surface I would be with you. Would I pay out 2.3 million to get 82 games + playoffs for the player Frolik was LAST season? Yes, or as Shaw would say "****ing A Right"!

I find myself disagreeing with you a lot, but spot on here. Couldn't have said it better.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
If we give Bicks more than 3mill, I'll cry myself to sleep

Grab some tissues and a pillow then.

I'd like to think Bickell's "hometown discount" line was sincere but all I see is a player that was either too lazy or just unable to perform in his time here and now that he's in his contract year and had a good playoff run he's going to cash in and very possibly regress next season.

From what I can tell it's looking like they're planning on using Bickell on the top line and I'm still not convinced he's that guy. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

A player with good speed and a decent coach can be trained to be a good penalty killer, especially on a stacked team.

We need to train a younger and cheaper player to replace Frolik the penalty killer. It's not like penalty killing requires some unique skill set that is generally unavailable.

It wasn't that long ago that many were clamouring for Frolik to be bought out.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Yes sir.

Frolik is much more than a fourth liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad