Rumor: Friedman: Vellucci not coming back

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So I was just listen to Stellick & Simmer in the Morning on SiriusXM and they had Friedman on talking about the Buffalo coaching situation. They were going through a few names, and when Vellucci's was brought up he said: "The word is that he is not going to be back there."

Reactions: Identity404

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Stinks but I am not all surprised. The writing was on the wall for this one. With Vellucci’s record in the ahl and the lack of other options for Buffalo, he was definitely going to get considered. But as someone who’s given a very young team a winning culture, I think he’s also a very good fit. Yeah, it’s Buffalo, but also this is Vellucci’s dream and he wasn’t going to get the opportunity here, so I’m happy for him. He’s earned it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
He's mentioned at one point before that he prefers coaching, so if that still holds true, he may not want the GM position. It's not ideal, but it means we're doing something right to have a guy that is wanted. We just gotta find the next Vellucci if he does leave. I'll be interested to see what type of success he has if he moves into an NHL head coaching position. He seems like a good coach in Charlotte, but he does have a pretty talented team, and we haven't seen much of the high end talent in Charlotte develop into much at the NHL level yet. I love what he's done, but I do think the jury is still out on him a bit at this point.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Wish we could bring him on as an assistant in Raleigh. Very much sucks to lose talent like that in the organization, but Rod is the HC for the foreseeable future at this point so if he's getting a shot at a HC position, who could blame him.

I think he could easily be a Daniels replacement and I wouldn't lose too much sleep. As long as he gets along with Rod. I don't get the sense Daniels moves the needle much one way or another.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I think he could easily be a Daniels replacement and I wouldn't lose too much sleep. As long as he gets along with Rod. I don't get the sense Daniels moves the needle much one way or another.

Ehh, I think that's a bit unfair. Most of us shit on Daniels for what he did in Charlotte, but I gotta think he's a large part in where the Canes are at this point.

Reactions: Identity404

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ehh, I think that's a bit unfair. Most of us **** on Daniels for what he did in Charlotte, but I gotta think he's a large part in where the Canes are at this point.

What do you think he does, out of curiosity?

Williams was recently asked in an interview about him and he was unable to say anything of impact. Basically "he's a big part of what we are doing here, he runs our forward lines and keeps us going over the boards, and he's a big part of Roddy's staff." Maybe I'm reading between the lines where I shouldn't be, but I got the sense that he's just kinda there. Not saying there's a rift in the room or anything (so don't go there), but Williams really rambled trying to find anything specifically nice to say, and ended up just saying "oh yeah, he's huge for us, he's great".

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Vellucci deserves a shot as an NHL head coach.
Charlotte has had strong talent the past two seasons. However consider: they went 12-2-1 to end 17-18 only making the playoffs the last weekend; then lost the top 3 scorers and their 5th leading scorer from that team. That puts this year's league dominance into perspective.

As far as Checkers not having an NHL impact, the only pair of AHL-trained rookies who had a bigger impact than Foegele/Wallmark this season were Kapanen/Johnsson.

I have watched many Checkers games the past two seasons. Based on the way the team plays, the win/lost success as well as the special teams success, and the progress that key players (Ned, Gauthier, Necas, Bean) are making, I am a huge Vellucci fan. Everything points to him being a good coach and a great person to develop young talent.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, it sucks. But the job he wants -- and has earned -- is NHL head coach, and that job will not be open in Raleigh for the foreseeable future. And for those offering him Daniels' job, that's a step back. Being the top guy is better than being an assistant, even in a league one step down.

The weird thing is Elliotte reporting that "the word is he is not going to be back there." How many HC positions are even open, just Buffalo? So if Buffalo doesn't hire him, what happens?

It's one thing to say something like he's an enticing candidate around the league. Another to say he's not going to be back. Where would he go if not an NHL HC position?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So offer him more money to coach the AHL team than Buffalo will to coach their NHL team? Are you serious?
I didn't mean money. Offer him any role he'll take for good money. He's wasted in the AHL, give him any job he wants other than Rod's.

I still have a small problem not offering him Rod's. I think he's probably the better coach. This bunch of misfits clearly needed Rod but only time will tell if this sort of thing works long term. I think if Rod left a bunch of the X' and O's to Vellucci and focused on what he does we'd have a pretty damn good staff. Rod felt useless as an asst coach for whatever reason, doesn't mean Vellucci wouldnt be a valuable add there.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I didn't mean money. Offer him any role he'll take for good money. He's wasted in the AHL, give him any job he wants other than Rod's.

I still have a small problem not offering him Rod's. I think he's probably the better coach. This bunch of misfits clearly needed Rod but only time will tell if this sort of thing works long term. I think if Rod left a bunch of the X' and O's to Vellucci and focused on what he does we'd have a pretty damn good staff. Rod felt useless as an asst coach for whatever reason, doesn't mean Vellucci wouldnt be a valuable add there.

I mean even still, if his goal is to be an NHL head coach, why would he not take an NHL head coaching job of one is available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad