Speculation: Friedman: 'People around the league' hearing Malkin unhappy, would welcome trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The sale of the team is not a thing. They're looking to sell part of their share and get a new guy in the mix. The team's not moving. There's no impending uncertainty regarding the team with respect to the recent news about Lemieux and Burkle's investment into the team. All that's going to change, if anything happens at all, is that there will be a new face in the mix and a possibly new approach to things--which could end up being very good for this franchise.

And there's no way Sid or Geno will leave this team before their deals are up. They signed here for the long haul, for better or worse. They know it, the team knows it, everyone knows it. The only reason these stupid rumors crop up all the time is because we're in the stage of the year where 28 teams have nothing interesting to talk about, the draft is weeks away, FA is a month away, and people are bored and trying to stay relevant.

Geno's not going anywhere. Sid's not going anywhere. I hope like Hell they're unhappy with how things have gone for the past 5+ seasons, but that doesn't mean they want out. That's silly.

I meant in terms of a new majority owner. Wouldn't be surprised if thats the end result.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I speak with such certainty because a move involving Sid or Geno is utterly impossible. There is no fair value to be had from both sides with regards to a Sid or Geno trade. If we move them, we're asking for a team to gut itself for the return. Nobody's going to want to trade what the Pens would ask back, nor should they. You have to find a team able to take on ~$9M/yr, and willing to move several significant, expensive pieces in return. Anything short of that is this team basically committing franchise suicide. At the very least, there's no way they will sacrifice the money either of them bring in, leaving the whole "winning" issue alone.

The only way Sid or Geno don't finish their careers here is if they demand a trade. I don't see that happening. All of this "they're unhappy, it's gonna happen!" stuff is ********, and people talking out of their ass because they're bored as **** and there's nothing else to talk about. Whether or not it's for the best of this team, they will finish their careers here. Plain and simple.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Or maybe Lemieux's not enjoying being an owner anymore, has recouped all of the money he was owed 5 times over, and wants to retire back home?

Which is more plausible?

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Lets say it's true. Can you blame the guy? I mean.. as fun as it is playing with Chris Kunitz, Nick Spaling, Blake Comeau, and a revolving door of misfits.. there has to be a breaking point for him eventually.

Friedman is a very reliable source - maybe second only to Bobby Mac.. seems like you guys aren't taking this seriously, but I sure am.

Friedman also is the guy that said Ehrhoff would sign an extension in January. How did that turn out?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Or maybe he's gonna use the money from the Pens sale to be the head of the new Quebec expansion team, and he's gonna bring Crosby and Malkin with him!

No Quarter*

I don't believe it BUT if it is true would anyone except Barkov, Gudbranson, Hayes, and 2015 1st from The Panthers????

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I never got the "I been watching before you were born" statements, yea it's my fault that I was born in 1981 and couldn't watch the Penguins before then.

The point of that statement was to note that I've been watching the Pens since BEFORE Mario, and even then I don't remember not being as down when it comes to being a fan.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. I won't hold my breath.

Actually, Kirk started watching in 1982, so you're good.

That's beside the point. :popcorn:

No Quarter*

Kinda thought that was fair value"IF" a trade is inevitable
Barkov = young stud 1st liner
Gudbranson = beast, poor mans Pronger
Hayes = great 3rd liner that can score or b moved to 2nd line
2015= fairly high pick, probable future stud

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kinda thought that was fair value"IF" a trade is inevitable
Barkov = young stud 1st liner
Gudbranson = beast, poor mans Pronger
Hayes = great 3rd liner that can score or b moved to 2nd line
2015= fairly high pick, probable future stud

I do think, if it ever comes to it, that people will be disappointed with the return, not because Malkin isn't worth more, but instead because whether Malkin asks out or the Pens ever ask him to waive, Malkin's going to list a select number of teams where he'll consider a trade. Simple laws of supply and demand. A NTC artificially reduces demand.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Maybe his brother Denis?

290.jpg

Is that his actual brother? I didn't even know he had siblings lol.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I do think, if it ever comes to it, that people will be disappointed with the return, not because Malkin isn't worth more, but instead because whether Malkin asks out or the Pens ever ask him to waive, Malkin's going to list a select number of teams where he'll consider a trade. Simple laws of supply and demand. A NTC artificially reduces demand.

You'd be surprised (actually you shouldn't be) how few people have proven to have the mental capacity to realize such simple logic on the internet.

Knowing how a full nmc reduces the bargaining power of the team trading said player, and the fact the entire reason for negotiating for one in the first place is for the ability to limit your potential destinations if you ever chose to waive so you don't end up in edmonton, proves two indisputable facts.

1. These discussions are worthless when based upon whether or not you think the return would be fair value for the player, the nmc will limit the potential pool of trade partners, and reduce the return they'd be willing to part with because they know the team's options will be artificially limited. Debating hypothetical trade proposals for a player in malkin's situation here is and always will be the definition of pointless, if and whatever he's traded for in the future will never be based on his perceived value, as the team who ends up trading for him will never be in a position where they're forced to compete enough for him, and thus it's literally impossible to fathom beforehand where and what he'll be traded for. That's logical fact.

2. He won't be waiving to go to any team with an abundance of high draft picks and/or plethora of young sure thing prospects as those teams are almost always currently rebuilding, and thus he (especially the older he gets) won't find the prospect of leaving this team in the midst of a decline just to go to another already in the process of it any more appealing then than he does now. So unless he chooses to behave in a completely illogical manner, he'll only be waiving to go to current contenders, and those teams won't be willing to part with a return you might view as worthy of his value because they won't be stupid enough to gut the depth already making them contenders for a player who's proven can be sufficiently contained if not surrounded by quality depth for more than half a decade now.

In every logical scenario, pitt is a worse team after trading malkin, and a good chance significantly so. Anyone arguing otherwise are either lying to themselves not wanting to think about the prospect of it happening, or lying to others because they desire the team becoming worse out of spite. The only aspect that's even worth discussing is whether or not they'll ever be forced to do so, as that's the only thing they'll ever have control over.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I speak with such certainty because a move involving Sid or Geno is utterly impossible. There is no fair value to be had from both sides with regards to a Sid or Geno trade. If we move them, we're asking for a team to gut itself for the return. Nobody's going to want to trade what the Pens would ask back, nor should they. You have to find a team able to take on ~$9M/yr, and willing to move several significant, expensive pieces in return. Anything short of that is this team basically committing franchise suicide. At the very least, there's no way they will sacrifice the money either of them bring in, leaving the whole "winning" issue alone.

The only way Sid or Geno don't finish their careers here is if they demand a trade. I don't see that happening. All of this "they're unhappy, it's gonna happen!" stuff is ********, and people talking out of their ass because they're bored as **** and there's nothing else to talk about. Whether or not it's for the best of this team, they will finish their careers here. Plain and simple.

this is an incredibly simplistic and intellectually lazy view of things.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This looks like a still from one of those musicals from the 50's or 60's, I look at it and expect them to start tap dancing or something.

Should be in black and white and there should be a model T waiting for a horse to cross an intersection on that road in the background.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Of course Malkin's pissed. They traded his sexy sniper of a winger that he was friends with and they were one of the top duo's in the NHL for a guy that ended up on Crosby's line and an overpaid 4th liner.

Why wouldn't Malkin be unhappy? Again, he's playing with subpar linemates. When he can't put the team on his back, everyone questions him as to why he couldn't get any points but look what he's playing with. You're asking to have a Ferrarri go out on the road with retread tires and no brakes. Then you wonder why the Ferrari looks like **** on the road.

The Pens for years have taken Crosby/Malkin for granted and instead of building around their core, decided to ask them to carry the team, while mortgaging the future away, taking poor draft picks or trading them away for short term veterans, stockpiling defensemen that would be 4-5 years away from playing, etc.

If anyone remembers watching Lemieux you know as great as he was (and Crosby/Malkin can't touch him), he couldn't put the team on his back when he had the "likes" of Terry Ruskowski and Warren Young surrounding him. In the late 80's when the Pens stockpiled a ton of young talent and made shrewd trades that worked for them, they had a team as deep as the modern day Blackhawks and it was beautiful to watch. Right now we have a dysfunctional team with no support for the core players. There's a handful of core guys and a bunch of misfit muckers.

So, should we expect Malkin to be unhappy? Sure, he has the right to be. We've wasted the prime of 2 superstar's careers.

Does he want traded? I doubt it.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
There's never been a worse time to be a pens fan? Lol I seen it all now

I was thinking the same thing. I know I drink a lot so I thought maybe I wasn't thinking through things correctly, but I remember when the blue jerseys weren't a third jersey, they WERE the jersey.

The late 70's and early 80's were rough, and anyone remember 2002?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
If this is true, I'd love for the Predators to go after him. Weber<-->Malkin has been thrown around a lot, but I don't see that as a realistic deal, as far as it is. If there were to be a deal between us, I see Jones as the centerpiece. Would any of these packages be enough? Not saying I'd do them all, just curious.

Jones+Wilson/Smith+Watson/Sissons+2016 1st
Jones+Fiala+2016 1st+Stalberg
Jones+Forsberg (not sure I'd do this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad