Friedman: Friedman On NYI Podcast: Isles Rumblings Post Capuano

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We're screwed. We need a high-end RW and very good 2nd line center while not sacrificing our entire prospect base or increasing our cap (meaning a team would have to be willing to take a salary dump).

Good luck with that Girth.

Oh, we are set on the 3rd and 4th lines, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Luckily we have all that cap space. oops.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Promising young goalie, you say? Jackets should be all over this to bring in Duchene if they can get him at the price of Korpisalo

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Agree. I question if it''s true bc if Snow did bet heavily on getting Stamkos, he's completely incompetent. Even Yzerman shouldn't have done that and he had, by far, the best chance with Stamkos. Everyone else was a longshot. Worth pursuing if you thought Stamkos could help your club (and, at the right price, he could help several), but probably not going to happen.

So either Freidman is making stuff up (or at least greatly exaggerating), he got bad info, or Snow is an idiot.

Strongly agree with this. Counting on signing a big name UFA is foolish, considering how rarely the truly elite players make it to UFA status. Even if TB failed to resign him, there were several teams who would have made offers.

Just seems like Snow isn't as aggressive as he needs to be to be to get a big deal done. Maybe he is gunshy after the Vanek deal didn't work out as planned? Just IMO, but if you want to really shake things up, you can't neccessarily be wooried about "winning" a deal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I hope the Isles get burned and don't get either Landy or Duchene. Them dangling Hamonic all last year and off season deserves bad karma. Either poop or get off the pot. Snow to go next for that ****show.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Dangling Hamonic? WTF are you going on about? He requested a trade due to a relative's health, Snow held out for good value (because he didn't want to trade him), and when the relative got better, Hamonic stated he wanted to stay.

Seriously... :shakehead

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Sorokin should have been traded yesterday,

What are they waiting for? Unbelievable

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If Duchene or Landeskog get traded for a goalie I'm going to flip ****

Friedman has never been the biggest source for the Avs. I can't remember him ever breaking a story.

Its almost always Bob or Dregs. So I'm not putting too much into this. Especially considering the Avs have Martin in the AHL who looks very promising. I doubt they are foolish enough to make a move like that without exploring internal options before hand.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The biggest issue with the Islanders this year is they have several contracts that are garbage and worthless....
Next year will hopefully be a new chapter for the Isles. They need a new GM and a new start.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would think if Snow is getting desperate that just about anyone is in play and they've got some great D to build a deal around. Hamonic, DeHaan, Pulock. Everyone becomes an option when your job is on the line.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I would think if Snow is getting desperate that just about anyone is in play and they've got some great D to build a deal around. Hamonic, DeHaan, Pulock. Everyone becomes an option when your job is on the line.

there's definitely some desperation, given Tavares' age and UFA status.

if i'm JT, i'm waiting the rest of the year to see if:

1) Greiss is the real deal, or Snow gets a true starter.
2) a new coach has a positive effect.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
How Snow has a job and Cappy doesn't kills me, This is Snows train wreck! And Weight with a 12% pp takes over! New Owners, still a joke!

Why does that kill you? Crappy was certainly part of the issue. 7 years of taking the entire month of November off, constant line swaps, and lest we forget...the much loved 'sit back on a lead only to cough it up, over and over and over and........' approach we have endured in that time. The isles have lost games they have lead or were tied in the final 5 minutes I think 10 times this season already. That's snow's fault?

And don't take this as an endorsement for Snow. He's gotta go too, but you know that isn't happening until the offseason.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So Leaf fans have officially gone from "haha we're getting Stamkos for free as a UFA" to "haha we could have gotten Stamkos for free as a UFA".

Anyway, everything Friedman says looks good to me. Colorado is pricing its forwards high, trading Nick Leddy would create a massive need for another Nick Leddy, no reason to trade Strome at weak value without first seeing how he responds to another coach. Firing Cappy was a step in the right direction.

most leafs fans I know were hopefuly for stamkos, but at the same time not expecting to get him or Vesey.

most leafs fans were hoping for zaitsev, and to not draft 4th overall.
dont let me ruin your potshots though

crasherino

May 9, 2013
why not try for an Eberle type.. someone around JT's age that has a knack for the net. or at least has had one in the past. because if u put a guy like that on JT's wing jt can help his game. idk just an outside perspective

I agree - Eberle would slot perfectly on JT's RW. A lot of Islanders fans were (are?) vehemently against Eberle as they don't like his game. Personally, I'm not sure where we'd find a better fit on Right Wing (unless the Jets want to give away Blake Wheeler). Sure he's slight, but the guy knows how to put the puck in the net. The Islanders are filled with pass first guys. They need a guy who just shoots. If you put Eberle on JT's wing, you have any number of guys (Lee, Bailey, Ladd, etc.) who could play LW there and the rest of the lines fill in accordingly.

Seems like Eberle was much cheaper a year or two ago though. Now that Hall's gone, I doubt EDM wants to move another winger.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
there's definitely some desperation, given Tavares' age and UFA status.

if i'm JT, i'm waiting the rest of the year to see if:

1) Greiss is the real deal, or Snow gets a true starter.
2) a new coach has a positive effect.

I had hopes that JT would sign an extension come 7/1 this year. After the poop show he has been through in the past 4 months, I don't forsee that happening until they hire a permanent HC and he sees how that goes, at least for a few months. That doesn't bode well.

As for Greiss, he is the real deal. I would just be wary to the fact that he is 30...although he has been a backup a majority of his career, he has been consistent for the isles the past 2 years. Very reliable, and he has far and away been better than Halak was...for some reason Capuano played Halak over Greiss despite Greiss' far superior play.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
most leafs fans I know were hopefuly for stamkos, but at the same time not expecting to get him or Vesey.

Come on with this gaslighting nonsense. Don't **** in my mouth and tell me it's raining.

Up until the moment Stamkos resigned with Tampa, every thread on these boards was filled with Leaf fans saying how they were getting Stamkos for free, to the point of taunting other teams because of how much of a certainty it is.

If you don't remember that and instead believe that "most" Leaf fans weren't expecting to land Stamkos, I implore you to consider that Leaf fans are doing the exact same thing right now with Tavares.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Stamkos=Great player but hurt all the time...and as gets older will get hurt even more why bother? Glad Tampa Locked him up!

Fire Snow! Fire The Whole bench and that Horrible assistant Coach/ assistant Gm......What team has the assistant GM on the Bench coaching? Doug Weight is horrible! He got Ladd Overpaid for life and this will kill the Islanders! Get Ladd to waive NTC ....Pay Vegas to take him and toss in a 2nd rd pick n Pelech to get it done!

CRappyano was Snow's escape Goat! Off with Snow's and Weight's Head!

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Come on with this gaslighting nonsense. Don't **** in my mouth and tell me it's raining.

Up until the moment Stamkos resigned with Tampa, every thread on these boards was filled with Leaf fans saying how they were getting Stamkos for free, to the point of taunting other teams because of how much of a certainty it is.

If you don't remember that and instead believe that "most" Leaf fans weren't expecting to land Stamkos, I implore you to consider that Leaf fans are doing the exact same thing right now with Tavares.

Check my post history. I made multiple threads saying how terrible of an idea it was. So no, not every Leaf fan did this.

On top of this, once they won the lottery for Matthews, 80% of Leaf fans suddenly didn't want him as much, and it was almost agreed by UFA that if he took a discount we would take him but wouldn't want to overpay.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY

Funny thing is, the Leafs have ungodly depth at Center, to the point where certain guys have to be moved to wing. When Nazem Kadri is your third best Center, you know you have depth down the middle.

In retrospect, to think they ever wanted Stamkos is kind of funny (though I assume he would have been moved to wing).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I agree - Eberle would slot perfectly on JT's RW. A lot of Islanders fans were (are?) vehemently against Eberle as they don't like his game. Personally, I'm not sure where we'd find a better fit on Right Wing (unless the Jets want to give away Blake Wheeler). Sure he's slight, but the guy knows how to put the puck in the net. The Islanders are filled with pass first guys. They need a guy who just shoots. If you put Eberle on JT's wing, you have any number of guys (Lee, Bailey, Ladd, etc.) who could play LW there and the rest of the lines fill in accordingly.

Seems like Eberle was much cheaper a year or two ago though. Now that Hall's gone, I doubt EDM wants to move another winger.
Eberle is turning it around and there's nothing the Isles would offer that would entice the Oilers to move him. The Oilers aren't anywhere near the cap nor will they be for at least a couple of years(when McDavids contract is up they'll have 33 million in cap space with a core of Talbot, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Pouliot, RNH, Eberle, Puljujarvi and Lucic still under contract). Moving Eberle also means forcing Puljujarvi back up(who's clearly not ready) or playing one of Kassian/Slepyshev/Khaira at 2RW which would be a disaster.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
We're screwed. We need a high-end RW and very good 2nd line center while not sacrificing our entire prospect base or increasing our cap (meaning a team would have to be willing to take a salary dump).

Good luck with that Girth.

Oh, we are set on the 3rd and 4th lines, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
This is a case of suck it up, sell at the deadline, and make sure you're not trading that first round pick in panic.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Biggest piece of news I got out of this thread, is that there are still too many people around here that know nothing about the Islanders, and base the little they do know on the same old tired rhetoric from a decade ago.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Those Kulemin and Grabovski deals really hurt them. Knew it from the get go. That cap room right there would have been enough for Stamkos, and they still could have signed Okposo, Nielson, and Martin to extensions.

They compound those issues by paying Cizikas 3.4. Paying Boychuk an insane amount of money at his age is another one. He doesn't have the miles Girardi has, but he'll be slowing down very soon. His shot is his only redeeming value.

Sinking ship for another couple years. Next set of prospects will be bigger impact in two years. Will Tavares be sold on that? I think he stays, honestly, but it'd be tempting to leave.

One other big thing: Will they let them move back to Nassau with the new Coliseum? If they do, I'd be more sold on him staying. Heard most players didn't like going to Brooklyn over being in Nassau. Can't say I blame them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad