Friedman: Friedman On NYI Podcast: Isles Rumblings Post Capuano

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Some real interesting notes from Friedman that are fresh out of the Islanders Point Blank Podcast featuring Brian Compton. Give it a listen, but here are some key facts.

- Friedman states that he can't believe how many people consistently tell him that John Tavares truly wants to stay an Islander for life, and to do so the Isles need to show him they're on the right track post Capuano.

- Friedman believes the Islanders have been trying to make a blockbuster move for a while (Stamkos in the offseason, Duchene earlier in the season, but nothing has came to fruition.

-Regarding Colorado, Friedman believes asking price for Duchene/Landeskog is a high end young D, OR a promising young goalie for the future (New info: Ex: Ilya Sorokin).

-Believes Nick Leddy isn't a bad offer for Colorado, but problem for Isles is once they trade a Nick Leddy, they suddenly need a Nick Leddy.

-Friedman also tossed out that the Isles were apparently close to moving Ryan Strome sometime recently, but now wonders if coaching change will revitalize him.

-Ultimately, Friedman believes Snow is paying dearly this season for putting his eggs in one basket trying to get Stamkos to NY. Also, has heard that Casey Cizikas signing his extension before Nielsen threw a wrench in the plans and drove Nielsen to explore other options.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Islanders just have a bunch of holes.

They need to keep Sorokin to fill their own future goaltending needs, and as Friedman said, if they move a guy like Leddy, they will need to build up their D that much more.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
-Regarding Colorado, Friedman believes asking price for Duchene/Landeskog is a high end young D, OR a promising young goalie for the future (New info: Ex: Ilya Sorokin).

I'm really hoping the Avs aren't looking to add a young goalie for the future as any sort of important piece. As a throw in? Sure, I implore the Avs to go nuts. However with Spencer Martin in the fold there is really no reason to actively search for a goalie prospect via trade.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Did the Islanders really expect to get Stankos. Even discounting a return to Tampa there were probably at least a half dozen teams in the runnning that would be easily ahead of them

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Did the Islanders really expect to get Stankos. Even discounting a return to Tampa there were probably at least a half dozen teams in the runnning that would be easily ahead of them

So Leaf fans have officially gone from "haha we're getting Stamkos for free as a UFA" to "haha we could have gotten Stamkos for free as a UFA".

Anyway, everything Friedman says looks good to me. Colorado is pricing its forwards high, trading Nick Leddy would create a massive need for another Nick Leddy, no reason to trade Strome at weak value without first seeing how he responds to another coach. Firing Cappy was a step in the right direction.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
So Leaf fans have officially gone from "haha we're getting Stamkos for free as a UFA" to "haha we could have gotten Stamkos for free as a UFA".

Anyway, everything Friedman says looks good to me. Colorado is pricing its forwards high, trading Nick Leddy would create a massive need for another Nick Leddy, no reason to trade Strome at weak value without first seeing how he responds to another coach. Firing Cappy was a step in the right direction.

most sensible Leafsfans didn't want anything to do with Mr Stamkos

Weast

May 16, 2011
If Duchene or Landeskog get traded for a goalie I'm going to flip ****

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That information about the Avs wanting a goalie makes me angry.

Very angry.

Those damn morons....

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
That information about the Avs wanting a goalie makes me angry.

Very angry.

Those damn morons....

I don't think it would be the main piece, that wouldn't make any sense. Friedman, while a great insider, that tidbit about Leddy not being a bad offer for Avs shows his out to lunch when it comes to Avs.

Not because Leddy is not a damn good D, but Avs seem to want to get younger pieces then that. Why would a team that wants to do a rebuild and trade young players like Landeskog and Duchene, want Leddy?

So if he doesn't get a basic thing like that, I wouldn't put too much stock in Avs trading Landeskog/Duchene for a goalie prospect being main piece.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't think it would be the main piece, that wouldn't make any sense. Friedman, while a great insider, that tidbit about Leddy not being a bad offer for Avs shows his out to lunch when it comes to Avs.

Not because Leddy is not a damn good D, but Avs seem to want to get younger pieces then that. Why would a team that wants to do a rebuild and trade young players like Landeskog and Duchene, want Leddy?

So if he doesn't get a basic thing like that, I wouldn't put too much stock in Avs trading Landeskog/Duchene for a goalie prospect being main piece.
Leddy is not old. He is only 25 yo.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

Agree. I question if it''s true bc if Snow did bet heavily on getting Stamkos, he's completely incompetent. Even Yzerman shouldn't have done that and he had, by far, the best chance with Stamkos. Everyone else was a longshot. Worth pursuing if you thought Stamkos could help your club (and, at the right price, he could help several), but probably not going to happen.

So either Freidman is making stuff up (or at least greatly exaggerating), he got bad info, or Snow is an idiot.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't understand all this Duchene to Islander talk. Duchene's a UFA in 2.5 years. You would think Duchene would be traded to a Cup contender for young prospects, instead of going to non playoff team, who is likely going to lose him in the summer of 2019.
Tavares, don't know who will splurge to sign him, but have to believe he wants to leave the Islander fiasco.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
snow has been the joke of this team! What team carries 3 goalies for almost a full calendar year and non are worth a ****! And Snow keeps his job!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't understand all this Duchene to Islander talk. Duchene's a UFA in 2.5 years. You would think Duchene would be traded to a Cup contender for young prospects, instead of going to non playoff team, who is likely going to lose him in the summer of 2019.
Tavares, don't know who will splurge to sign him, but have to believe he wants to leave the Islander fiasco.

The Isles will trade and do a lot of things for a certain signature...

And from all accounts he is willing to give it to them if they can show him that they will do anything they can to get this back on track. Trading for Duchene could really help in that regard...

But don't worry. Unless the Islanders get a top5 pick and are willing to add to it for Duchene, I don't see any possible deal.

They can't trade a guy like Leddy and they don't have any other young, top tier D (prospects) to trade.

So unless they can offer us Liljegren +, I highly doubt that anything will happen between the teams.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
Frans, Martin and Okposo were the heart of the team, Snow let them all go!

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
How Snow has a job and Cappy doesn't kills me, This is Snows train wreck! And Weight with a 12% pp takes over! New Owners, still a joke!

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
I'm not upset Cappy is gone but this is on Snow and now he's leading the charge for the next coach! Ledecky or Malkin or whomever, wake up! Snow isn't the answer but the problem! Who carries 3 goalies for almost a year when none of them would get picked up! Snow is useless! Wait, he hired Weight as asst GM and coach and put weight in charge of pp! That has worked out well!

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
We're screwed. We need a high-end RW and very good 2nd line center while not sacrificing our entire prospect base or increasing our cap (meaning a team would have to be willing to take a salary dump).

Good luck with that Girth.

Oh, we are set on the 3rd and 4th lines, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Islanders just have a bunch of holes.

They need to keep Sorokin to fill their own future goaltending needs, and as Friedman said, if they move a guy like Leddy, they will need to build up their D that much more.

One of the biggest holes are top line wingers, and they signed Ladd to a longterm 5,5 mill cap hit to be that top line winger and the guy has 12 points in 41 games.....

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
We're screwed. We need a high-end RW and very good 2nd line center while not sacrificing our entire prospect base or increasing our cap (meaning a team would have to be willing to take a salary dump).

Good luck with that Girth.

Oh, we are set on the 3rd and 4th lines, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

why not try for an Eberle type.. someone around JT's age that has a knack for the net. or at least has had one in the past. because if u put a guy like that on JT's wing jt can help his game. idk just an outside perspective

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Considering it's the Islanders, I totally could see them going hard after someone named Stankos, only to find out at the end their mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad