News Article: Friedman: Oilers ‘an organization on edge’

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's legit we're constantly told to buy a bunch of crap narratives from this team and watch you can call me whatever you want, the media and the Oilers will start pushing the whole "team is good! Just need a new coach" BS that they always roll out.
Except if you have paid attention to reality at all if anything their 'marching orders' is "Todd is God Chia is bad". Which would imply the rumor that Todd has friends in high places could be accuarate.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Shit the entire media is talking about how crap built the team is and how bad the players are.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Except if you have paid attention to reality at all if anything their 'marching orders' is "Todd is God Chia is bad". Which would imply the rumor that Todd has friends in high places could be accuarate.

How many people actually think the results will be better if only Chia goes and Todd stays?

Most of us see how shitty Todd's systems are and realize he needs to go too if we want a better on ice product.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How many people actually think the results will be better if only Chia goes and Todd stays?

Most of see how ****ty Todd's systems are and realize he needs to go too if we want a better on ice product.
Quite a few I've seen. Lots of the media too are selling that

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I like Friedman. He is not a blowhard like Dreger or Button. Him and Bobby Mac I think have a lot of credibility.

There is no doubt the organization is on pins and needles and failure this year means Rebuild v3.0 and that means a new coach and GM, no matter whose side of the fence you are on.

Reactions: RegDunlop

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The phrase "rebuild 3.0" just makes me realize that the Oilers rebuild has been going on for exactly as long as the Evangelion rebuild... wonder which will get to 4.0 first.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He has the easy money Oilers and new arena-paid for by taxpayers and profits from his corresponding real estate development. You can’t find easier money than that.

It is for sure. Which is why it could be easily squeezed even more. He could really start to cheap out with this org and raise ticket prices at the same time to make more money.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
The phrase "rebuild 3.0" just makes me realize that the Oilers rebuild has been going on for exactly as long as the Evangelion rebuild... wonder which will get to 4.0 first.

I'm still waiting for Panty and Stocking season 2. It's been a nice 8 years.

Reactions: Canada Drai

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

At the risk of being nerdy, the original releases line up very nice with Oilers events:

2007 - You are (not) alone - Lowe starts to feel like he's on the ropes with the EIG, but Katz comes in and starts making serious offers for the Oilers. Lowe can be confident that he will have a job for life when that is all said and done.

Jun 2009 - You can (not) advance - The tank plan begins, we're gonna start to lose on purpose for some high picks because Lowe remembers the only reason he lost to Dallas back in the day was because they had Modano and Hull (his opinion).

2012 - You can (not) redo - Yak draft

2020 - Probably something do to with a McDavid trade request if this crap goes on.

Oct 15, 2008
It is for sure. Which is why it could be easily squeezed even more. He could really start to cheap out with this org and raise ticket prices at the same time to make more money.

I disagree. A successful billionaire businessman like him is already getting full value. People like that don’t leave any crumbs behind.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I disagree. A successful billionaire businessman like him is already getting full value. People like that don’t leave any crumbs behind.

He's been paying guys like Lowe, macT and Howson for years. How is that getting full value? :)

He could definitely put a cap ceiling on this team too and still fill the building if he wanted to. Oilers fans are suckers.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Chia needs to be the first to go. If he was patient and waited for the right moves we’d probably be a future dynasty.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Who could have known that surrounding McDavid with such amazing talent like Lucic, Strome, Benning, Caggiula, Russell, Puljujarvi wouldn't work. Even Sekera and Larsson are nothing great, Steve Staois tier talent.

Crap hockey IQ, crap finishing ability, crap skating, crap creativity, crap passing, crap shot accuracy.

Same crap post after crap post by you. You are the Chiarelli of HF Boards.

The solution is what it has always been. Draft and develop. Chiarelli decided to attempt to speed up the rebuild process by trading draft picks for players who were "further along" to appease "fans" like you.

Common sense fans realize this is the NHL, and there are 31 teams competing for talent and the best way to do it is to draft talent. It is not so easy to fill holes overnight.

But not only do we have Chiarelli who can't trade, we have McLellan who can't coach. A coach who doesn't put draft picks in a position to succeed and develop properly.

We first need a new coach to let the players play and have fun again. Winning will come.

We have to be patient again, because any new GM will need at least 2 years to let the players in the system(Bear, Jones, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bouchard etc.) become the players they can become under the right tutelage.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Gotta disagree here. If you told any of us in the early 2000’s leading up to the lockout that we’d have a max cap team and a single (rich) owner who didn’t skimp on keeping players around,... we’d have died and gone to heaven. Do you not remember being a “small market” team and the constant (real) threat that the team would move? Losing Weight and Cujo as yet another reminder that we didn’t have the money to compete in this league? (This of course after having seen the Boys on the Bus dismantled for cash as well)

I mean the fact that it has been mismanaged on the hockey ops side is an entirely different point. And you may be right to criticize Katz loyalties to the OBC... but you can’t deny he’s throwing money at the problem... and that’s not something you’d do if all you cared about was making margin on your business.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
No need to overthink this. Running a 1st and a 2nd round draft pick through a paper shredder (aka the Reinhart trade) is in itself a fireable offense. But Chiarelli was hell bent on one-upping himself again and again. These guys really just don't f***ing get it. Good lord in space, give us strength.

Oct 15, 2008
Gotta disagree here. If you told any of us in the early 2000’s leading up to the lockout that we’d have a max cap team and a single (rich) owner who didn’t skimp on keeping players around,... we’d have died and gone to heaven. Do you not remember being a “small market” team and the constant (real) threat that the team would move? Losing Weight and Cujo as yet another reminder that we didn’t have the money to compete in this league? (This of course after having seen the Boys on the Bus dismantled for cash as well)

I mean the fact that it has been mismanaged on the hockey ops side is an entirely different point. And you may be right to criticize Katz loyalties to the OBC... but you can’t deny he’s throwing money at the problem... and that’s not something you’d do if all you cared about was making margin on your business.

Apples and oranges. Cap vs non cap era, different buildings, different revenue streams. Katz era Oilers have been more profitable than EIG Oilers. Spending to the cap and all.

He doesn’t fire anyone who is still under contract. They are simply given new or sometimes made up positions within the organization.

We were all hopeful when he bought the team, but that hope was pissed away long ago. Wait until the new arena is built, things will be different. We hired a real gm and coach, things will be different. We won the McDavid lottery. Things will be different. We made the playoffs. Things will be different.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
How many times have we heard this shit? Maybe do something about it rather than some f***ing “forensic audit” and then go from there. Only way fans will have hope fully restored is if we fire Lowe, Mact, Chia, Mclellan etc. And hire a competent GM and let them turn things around.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I understand the Katz criticisms, but until someone else is willing to spend to the cap and keep the team in Edmonton we don’t really have a better option.

And that's not easy to find.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And that's not easy to find.

Although to be fair, Katz hasn’t exactly put the team up for sale and everyone knows he won’t sell it unless it’s a huge huge overpay. So any prospective buyers are probably hiding in the shadows for now.

Oct 15, 2008
I understand the Katz criticisms, but until someone else is willing to spend to the cap and keep the team in Edmonton we don’t really have a better option.

I think there are those who follow the team from afar or maybe not at all anymore. That has proven a better option for some. Obviously there are many more who continue to fill the stadium and follow the team closely. I can’t see how that can be healthy, unless they aren’t really that invested in winning.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think there are those who follow the team from afar or maybe not at all anymore. That has proven a better option for some. Obviously there are many more who continue to fill the stadium and follow the team closely. I can’t see how that can be healthy, unless they aren’t really that invested in winning.

I meant a better option in terms of an owner. The last thing I want is Katz giving up on this and selling it to somebody who intends to move the team somewhere else. Although I’m sure Bettman would have something to say about that; despite all the Bettman hate he’s been decisively pro-Canadian.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad