News Article: Friedman: Oilers ‘an organization on edge’

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Go back to 2015. Look at the cap situation, defense and prospect situation. Tell me MacT didn't make the team worse. 'Scorched Earth' is how I'd describe the Oilers prospect cabinet at that point in time--especially when you consider Klefbom was already an NHLer and Nurse was just breaking in.

Teams pushing the cap limit require ELCs to keep their payroll controlled. There's a reason why guys like Matthew Benning and Drake Caggiula were cast into NHL roles immediately out of college.

I'm not really understanding your post. Chai had nothing to do with our entire core here. The core is the same identical players only now minus Hall and Eberle. Arguably you could add Larsson but he's not even been good this season or last. He looks just ordinary. This is Chia's 4th season and he hasn't added one player of significance to the starting lineup. Not ONE.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not really understanding your post. Chai had nothing to do with our entire core here. The core is the same identical players only now minus Hall and Eberle. Arguably you could add Larsson but he's not even been good this season or last. He looks just ordinary. This is Chia's 4th season and he hasn't added one player of significance to the starting lineup. Not ONE.

Alex Chiasson, lol.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Those players are good enough that they would have done fine with McDavid or Draisaitl. Or if the GM wasn't a dummy, Hall.

Jesse was a better prospect than Barzal when they were drafted. But yeah go right ahead and tell me about how good of a coach Captain Koala is.

Reactions: Panda Bear

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If there is one positive thing that has happened during Chia's tenure it's that he has stocked the farm team. This is why I have some hope for the future even though this season is looking more and more like another write off especially with it taking entirely too ****ing long to make a coaching change.
I haven't written the season off. We should be pounding the piss out of this weak ass division. Everyone--including San Jose has a fatal weakness. The Oilers need to shit or get off the pot in regards to this coaching change. It's been apparent since the playoff run that he and Chiarelli don't see eye to eye when it comes to the personnel on this team. Todd's coaches getting canned was another hint. They aren't fooling anybody keeping this guy in charge.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jesse was a better prospect than Barzal when they were drafted. But yeah go right ahead and tell me about how good of a coach Captain Koala is.

Then the scouts got that wrong because if you line them up on skill, there's nothing I can see that Puljujarvi is better at. Skating? No. Passing. No way. Puck handling. No. Stick handling? Not even close. Shot? Puljujarvi has a harder shot but Barzal's shot is more accurate and that's more important. Hockey IQ? Barzal is clearly way higher.

Even if they blew it on that pick they had every oppurtunity gift wrapped to them to get a terrific player at 16 in 2015 or 33 in 2015 or 32 in 2016. And they blew it on every pick.

That's where this team is amazing, they don't just f*** one thing up, they f*** every chance they get up. And even if they f***ed all those picks up all they had to do was literally not trade their 2nd best player for Steve Staois. And they still couldn't do that.

This was a tap in putt, that they shot it into the lake.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Then the scouts got that wrong because if you line them up on skill, there's nothing I can see that Puljujarvi is better at. Skating? No. Passing. No way. Puck handling. No. Stick handling? Not even close. Shot? Puljujarvi has a harder shot but Barzal's shot is more accurate and that's more important. Hockey IQ? Barzal is clearly way higher.

Even if they blew it on that pick they had every oppurtunity gift wrapped to them to get a terrific player at 16 in 2015 or 33 in 2015 or 32 in 2016. And they blew it on every pick.

That's where this team is amazing, they don't just **** one thing up, they **** every chance they get up. And even if they ****ed all those picks up all they had to do was literally not trade their 2nd best player for Steve Staois. And they still couldn't do that.

This was a tap in put, that they shot it into the lake.

It happens and maybe we would've rushed him onto the team and ruined his development just from Todd being Todd. Bottom line is that Jesse was more highly rated than Barzal at the time of their respective drafts.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It happens and maybe we would've rushed him onto the team and ruined his development just from Todd being Todd. Bottom line is that Jesse was more highly rated than Barzal at the time of their respective drafts.

Bottom line is they had 4 picks in the 2015 and 2016 draft past the McLottery pick and they don't have 1 single impact player to show for it, even though we know now there were star caliber players (several of them) available with every one of those picks.

All they had to do was just get even 1/4 correct and the team is likely in a very different position.

But asking for 25% is asking for too much I guess. They get even 2/4 of those right and they're probably en route to a multiple Cup winner.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because they didn't take Matt Barzal or Chabot or Sergachev or DeBrincat or Aho when they had a clear oppurtunity to do so?

If this team makes a decent pick in the 2015 or 2016 draft, a lot of the "oh noez, we have to rely on Caggiula and Benning" stuff goes right out the window.
Hey great job going back to a draft and picking the best player with hindsight. Takes a lot of know how and hockey knowledge to do that. Could've had Sebastian Aho. He wasn't even projected to go there. Damn, if only Soundwave was there...

The Reinhart trade was crippling considering the state of the franchise--and it's also supporting my theory that ELCs are imperative in providing sufficient depth. A healthy prospect cabinet takes years to build. That was just one trade--so it goes to show how bad of a situation the team was in when trading away a mid round 1st and an early 2nd had such dire consequences. The result is ultimately signing college UFAs and low end UFAs hoping to find a gem here or there.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Bottom line is they had 4 picks in the 2015 and 2016 draft past the McLottery pick and they don't have 1 single impact player to show for it, even though we know now there were star caliber players (several of them) available with every one of those picks.

All they had to do was just get even 1/4 correct and the team is likely in a very different position.

But asking for 25% is asking for too much I guess.

You must be fun to be around when you point out people's problems in hindsight. The problem with the Reinhart debacle wasn't missing on Barzal, it was the ridiculousness of it in the first place. Lots of teams passed on him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hey great job going back to a draft and picking the best player with hindsight. Takes a lot of know how and hockey knowledge to do that. Could've had Sebastian Aho. He wasn't even projected to go there. Damn, if only Soundwave was there...

The Reinhart trade was crippling considering the state of the franchise--and it's also supporting my theory that ELCs are imperative in providing sufficient depth. A healthy prospect cabinet takes years to build. That was just one trade--so it goes to show how bad of a situation the team was in when trading away a mid round 1st and an early 2nd had such dire consequences. The result is ultimately signing college UFAs and low end UFAs hoping to find a gem here or there.

Or take Barzal. Or take Chabot. Or take Connor. Or take Boeser. Or take Tkachuk. Or take DeBrincat.

This is not just missing 1 free throw. That happens, fine. When you miss four in a row and you only needed to make one to win the game ... you're a f***ing choker. And you deserve to be labelled that. Plain and simple.

Reactions: TheNumber4

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

That's where this team is amazing, they don't just **** one thing up, they **** every chance they get up. And even if they ****ed all those picks up all they had to do was literally not trade their 2nd best player for Steve Staois. And they still couldn't do that.

This was a tap in putt, that they shot it into the lake.
So did every other team before them. The Oilers at that point had just drafted a franchise skilled center with their first pick. Their defense was literally the only focus for the remainder of that draft considering it was the part of the organization that required the most attention.

-trade for Reinhart
-Jones, Bear, Marino, (G)Svoboda, Paigin.

They didn't even look at another forward. It's sick that you can't get past these things. Do you think Boston dreads not taking him? They passed on him three times in a row before us and they took two forwards.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
TBH it was a no brainer that the Oilers were going to move that pick for a defenseman. 100% expected it to happen. I just assumed it would be a package (was expecting the pick + Nurse for an actual top 4 D), not picks for a bag of pucks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So did every other team before them. The Oilers at that point had just drafted a franchise skilled center with their first pick. Their defense was literally the only focus for the remainder of that draft considering it was the part of the organization that required the most attention.

-trade for Reinhart
-Jones, Bear, Marino, (G)Svoboda, Paigin.

They didn't even look at another forward. It's sick that you can't get past these things. Do you think Boston dreads not taking him? They passed on him three times in a row before us and they took two forwards.

You can hand wave these things away but as far as I'm concerned you can't then also complain about not having a good team.

"Good teams" get at least 1/4 of these decisions right. The 80s Oilers went like 5/5 in the 79/80 drafts and that's the reason they won 5 Stanley Cups.

It doesn't just magically happen on its own, you have to make smart decisions, and when you do, the hockey gods will reward for that. You don't and you get a shit team. Which is what we got.

And we deserve it quite frankly. You can't screw up this much and then go crying about why you don't have a good team. C'mon.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Who could have known that surrounding McDavid with such amazing talent like Lucic, Strome, Benning, Caggiula, Russell, Puljujarvi wouldn't work. Even Sekera and Larsson are nothing great, Steve Staois tier talent.

Crap hockey IQ, crap finishing ability, crap skating, crap creativity, crap passing, crap shot accuracy.
Too bad no one in the organization disagreed with these trades..or else they wouldn’t have happened

And if they allowed Chia free reign to do whatever he wanted..then that’s on Katz, Nicholson and Lowe

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
To be honest?

After the 4 losses I've been a bit of a fairweather fan.

I'm Checking out the score in the 3rd period (would only turn on if we're winning).

I can't commit to watching this team without significant changes to management. Particularly the OBC.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Too bad no one in the organization disagreed with these trades..or else they wouldn’t have happened

And if they allowed Chia free reign to do whatever he wanted..then that’s on Katz, Nicholson and Lowe

Is it on you if your airplane pilot flies you into a mountain? You assume the guy piloting the plane knows what he's doing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would have taken Barzal at 16th and I'm not even a scout. That's the most no brainer thing. Who cares if other teams passed on him. This is not even hindsight

Reactions: Deplorable Lenny

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would have taken Barzal at 16th and I'm not even a scout. That's the most no brainer thing. Who cares if other teams passed on him. This is not even hindsight

Most of this board was yelling for them to take Barzal. You would have a better team if you let this board by committee run the franchise.

And we're nothing special, but even the people on this board know more than the idiots in charge here.

100% this board takes Barzal + DeBrincat at minimum and the Hall and Eberle trades are both laughed off the table.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Or take Barzal. Or take Chabot. Or take Connor. Or take Boeser. Or take Tkachuk. Or take DeBrincat.

This is not just missing 1 free throw. That happens, fine. When you miss four in a row and you only needed to make one to win the game ... you're a ****ing choker. And you deserve to be labelled that. Plain and simple.
Again. Should go back and take the draft pick that turned into the better NHLer...

You know what I think? This never would've happened if we just took Parise. We could've traded Comrie for Perry and the 1st and then we could've drafted McDavid. It's so obvious now that every thing has already happened and I don't need to follow any context.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Most of this board was yelling for them to take Barzal. You would have a better team if you let this board by committee run the franchise.

And we're nothing special, but even the people on this board know more than the idiots in charge here.
Exactly I would have trusted most of hfoil posters making that pick over Chia easily. Barzal at 16th was like a gift from above

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Again. Should go back and take the draft pick that turned into the better NHLer...

You know what I think? This never would've happened if we just took Parise. We could've traded Comrie for Perry and the 1st and then we could've drafted McDavid. It's so obvious now that every thing has already happened and I don't need to follow any context.

I'm fine with one mistake. Or even two. But when it gets to three of four, that's when I call bull shit.

Maybe that's just me, but like I said if you're on the free throw line and you only need to score one point to win, and you miss one? Hey I'm not gonna yell at you. Miss two? OK, time to get serious. Miss three? Alright, not good. Miss all four? I'm gonna call you a choke artist.

And I don't think that's wrong at all. At some point you have to deliver at least once with multiple golden opportunities.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well it's pretty simple actually. The post has absolutely nothing to do with Peter Chiarelli.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Yet one win in 7 games and sliding to the basement is not enough to convince them. Firing Todd would have made sense but now hes onto their next road trip and they aren't going to Gallant him so expect some more amateur hour behind the bench costing the team more points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad