Sportsnet: Friedman: Maple Leafs need to look inward for answers

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
All true. My comments weren't meant as an in-depth examination of what is happening with the team/roster.

It was more along the lines of an abstract feeling about how two different eras played out.

During the Ballard years the Leafs sucked and everybody knew why.

During this era, the team is awful and there is just this sense of hopelessness. It's not like they haven't tried things. They hired a high profile, winning GM, who spent a couple of years assembling a core of players that were mostly high picks (not by the Leafs, but their original teams). They have traded. They have drafted. They have signed free agents. And nothing seems to work.

I really do think Leaf fans will always look back at this era and look at it as a wasted opportunity based on your last paragraph alone. It's a shame.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I really do think Leaf fans will always look back at this era and look at it as a wasted opportunity based on your last paragraph alone. It's a shame.

It will be interesting in a few years to see how history boils down this current era.

"Wasted opportunity" is a very good way to describe it.

When Burke took over the time was absolutely primed to enjoy a period of high draft picks and asset accumulation and Burke blew the whole thing when he horribly mis-judged his roster and went out and traded for Phil Kessel. I remember Mike Milbury was ripped for saying that move had set the organization back by 10 years - yet - it's incredible just how accurate that comment has become.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It will be interesting in a few years to see how history boils down this current era.

When Burke took over the time was absolutely primed to enjoy a period of high draft picks and asset accumulation and Burke blew the whole thing when he horribly mis-judged his roster and went out and traded for Phil Kessel. I remember Mike Milbury was ripped for saying that move had set the organization back by 10 years - yet - it's incredible just how accurate that comment has become.

It is ironic that all the trades that many on here stated that Burke made that were good all brought to us very flawed players that have had a hand in making the Leafs the dysfunctional group that we have. Burke left us a disaster and like any disaster it will take time to clean up this mess.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It is ironic that all the trades that many on here stated that Burke made that were good all brought to us very flawed players that have had a hand in making the Leafs the dysfunctional group that we have. Burke left us a disaster and like any disaster it will take time to clean up this mess.

Burke won trades that weren't worth winning.

Burke is a smart guy, he knew he would get exposed and his "legacy" was in danger if he continued to be a GM.

He was smart not to become the GM again.

When your entire core is made up of castaways, expecting good results is foolish. I don't really blame the players, they just aren't good enough to lead a team. They would look better on a team that is already built.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yup. it was ha ha ha ha ha. what does Mike Milbury know?

and to your statements, I think basically, they refused to accept what was. and there was a lot of factors in play (mostly the one where the Leafs were up for sale).

I think you can spin this any way you want to, like Kessel is elite, this is that, this is this, the organization didn't that...

at the very end of the day, Burke made a horrendous decision (regardless if that was fueled by ownership etc). and every decision (i feel) since then was made to build around Kessel. And any question of "well they failed to build around him." well I'm really curious to know how that was going to be accomplished.

at any rate,

5 years ago Buffalo was an 100 point team, and if they actually use some of their better players and stuff (and get a goaltending). i think optimisically (taking advantage of a flat cap, some cap space, crafty trading etc) we should augment some of the bad decisions.

it will be okay :)

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yup. it was ha ha ha ha ha. what does Mike Milbury know?

and to your statements, I think basically, they refused to accept what was. and there was a lot of factors in play (mostly the one where the Leafs were up for sale).

I think you can spin this any way you want to, like Kessel is elite, this is that, this is this, the organization didn't that...

at the very end of the day, Burke made a horrendous decision (regardless if that was fueled by ownership etc). and every decision (i feel) since then was made to build around Kessel. And any question of "well they failed to build around him." well I'm really curious to know how that was going to be accomplished.

We could debate it all day long. Burke believed he had a elite forward in Kessel to build around and later thought he had acquired an elite d-man in Phaneuf.

Neither turned out to be true. Kessel is essentially the same player he was when he arrived - a streaky, one-dimensional goal scorer. His point totals have increased somewhat since he arrived, but I think that is a function of him playing with guys that are slightly better (JVR, Bozak, Kadri) than what surrounded him when he arrived.

Phaneuf was essentially a number-three guy getting paid a number one cap hit and Calgary knew it. His game has not grown or advanced at all since arriving.

Once Burke made the Kessel trade - and abandoned a more organic rebuild focused on the draft and asset accumulation - he was pretty much locked in and had to try and make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad