[Friedman] Kraken fire head coach Dave Hakstol

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

Caveat that I did not like the Hakstol hiring, but I've come to enjoy him over the last three years. Mixed feelings about this.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
This hurts. I’m biased, but had been a big defender of his.

I don’t know if they can bring in Rod Brind’Amour, but that would definitely ease the pain. Failing in that, I’m guessing Bylsma gets promoted.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
an easy out for Francis, given he put this roster together... doesn't matter who the coach is won't if Francis intends to keep this roster entirely of 3rd liners.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Will be interesting to see who they bring in.

Though, not all that surprising given Francis end of season interview and with Haxtol, for the first time, not holding his exit interview together with Francis.

BTW: Looking at the article it seems like Paul McFarland was also let go.
Like Hakstol, McFarland had been with the Kraken since their inception. He was previously the GM and head coach of the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs and has held assistant roles with the Maple Leafs and Panthers.

they have time to sort it out. Bring up the entire CV coaching staff.

Nah.
Disco Dan and the others are in a good spot and needed to develop the prospects coming to the Firebirds.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This hurts. I’m biased, but had been a big defender of his.

I don’t know if they can bring in Rod Brind’Amour, but that would definitely ease the pain. Failing in that, I’m guessing Bylsma gets promoted.
I sure hope your guess is wrong. Disco Dan is a nice enough guy, but he's not the guy this team needs. I bet the notoriously cheap Canes will pony up to keep Rod the Bod, but if not, he'd be a great choice.

Reactions: Irie and majormajor

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
I think this needed to happen. What killed me was the lack of urgency on power plays and crunch time when players needed to be taking more shots.

They wasted way too much time over passing trying to set up the perfect shot which would mostly never happen.

I liked Hak the person didn’t care for Hak the coach.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Hakstol canned.

I have to think this is more forward looking, perhaps they think they can get a better coach to teach the young players.

Because Hak got a lot out of a mediocre roster. Every season.

Cynical thought: does Francis think his roster is better than it is?

Hakstol's coaching style of getting the players to play harder and not necessarily smarter will always have a shelf life, and he was losing the room. Add the fact that most of the 24 and under guys on his roster seemed to not be developing at a rate one would like to see since season one, and it was the right move, especially with the influx of kids that should be joining the big club throughout next season.

I highly doubt Francis thought this team was a playoff lock. I think the decision was made more based off of the players individual performance under Hakstol this year on the ice than the team's results. Watching the games I think it was fairly clear it was time for a coaching change.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think this needed to happen. What killed me was the lack of urgency on power plays and crunch time when players needed to be taking more shots.

They wasted way too much time over passing trying to set up the perfect shot which would mostly never happen.

I liked Hak the person didn’t care for Hak the coach.

To me it's not about the power play cause that's something McFarland(who was let go as well) was in charge of.

To me it was more about an actual game plan(besides playing hard and trying that for 82 games) and never really knowing what the strategy is.

BTW: After letting Hakstol(more of a players coach) go I'd be curious of the next guy isn't more hands on and demanding of the players.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not surprised at all. I read somewhere that they were considering Bylsma for the job which I would not be surprised to see.

I would definitely love Brind'Amour but so would a lot of other teams.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'm kind of surprised this happened so quickly, but now that it has happened, I am rather liking it.

Other than his stint as an assistant for TML, he's been coaching my two faves for almost ten years.
In other words, I'm liking it too.:laugh:

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
As has been noted, nice man but not an effective coach of the younger players on the team.
I think the Kraken go for more of a strategist as the next coach, someone for whom an expectation of hard work is a given and the game plans and responsibilities are more clearly laid out.
The players need to be told not just what’s expected, but how, as a team, to execute it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only 5 HC were with their club prior to start of 21/22 season. That's an insane amount of turnover in the HC ranks.

But, when there are fully guaranteed contracts, a hard cap, plus so many NTC/NMC and partial protection, it really limits the moves a team can make with personnel. Only move left is the HC. But, also why GMs can and should get canned faster if they make poor moves/signings.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
As has been noted, nice man but not an effective coach of the younger players on the team.
I think the Kraken go for more of a strategist as the next coach, someone for whom an expectation of hard work is a given and the game plans and responsibilities are more clearly laid out.
The players need to be told not just what’s expected, but how, as a team, to execute it.
Absolutely this.

They need a more Xs and Os guy now after the last three years, but also someone who communicates and connects with the younger players much better than Hakstol did.

This team has done a pretty solid job of drafting it seems, now they need a coach that can properly develop the kids when they get here.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Does Hakstol get hired elsewhere or is he done in the NHL?

I'm pretty sure someone will hire him, at least as an assistant.
And if that doesn't work there's always NCAA hockey.

Absolutely this.

They need a more Xs and Os guy now after the last three years, but also someone who communicates and connects with the younger players much better than Hakstol did.

This team has done a pretty solid job of drafting it seems, now they need a coach that can properly develop the kids when they get here.

Well, I guess Mike Babcock hiring incoming.

He's very thorough and even goes through their phones telling/showing them what to do....:naughty::scared:

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
So far i've heard linked: Dean Evason who is supposed to be close to Francis, Rod Brind'Amour, Dan Bylsma (seems the obvious one but would he want the hassle of going back to the nhl stress), Karl Taylor- Milwaukee Admirals coach if we don't want to do the coaching merry go round.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Is Brind'Amour a legit candidate? Thatd be a great get, As previously said id make him the highest paid coach in the league and wouldnt think twice about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad