Speculation: Friedman: Blues not happy with Tarasenko?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I don't wee why Toronto would trade the 1st. Nylander, Marner on RW, surely 1 of them would be coming our way + Matthews?
Marner and Nylander are fine for top 6 RW, Nylander could be the 1C. JVR-Nylander-Tank, however its very well possible they want Stamkos, which ultimately they would say no as they'd eliminate any chance of such happening.

We also wouldn't have a replacement for Tank (right away) and would be a worse team. I'd take Matthews and Marner for Tarasenko, but thats a huge risk. Unless Toronto feels they can compete next year, (maybe throw in Allen to be their goalie) I can't seem them taking it. Allen is probably worth a 2nd (which they have 2 of) so Marner+Matthews+56th for Tank+Allen?
One thing not mentioned, we now have the cap for Steve Stamkos. Not that we would need him, rather spend it on more of a need.

Next year, our top 9 could be:
Schwartz-Shipachyov-Eriksson
Steen-Stastny-Backes
Fabbri-Matthews-Marner
Berglund-Sobotka-Jaskin

Okay, if that offer is on the table maybe we do take it.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't wee why Toronto would trade the 1st. Nylander, Marner on RW, surely 1 of them would be coming our way + Matthews?
Marner and Nylander are fine for top 6 RW, Nylander could be the 1C. JVR-Nylander-Tank, however its very well possible they want Stamkos, which ultimately they would say no as they'd eliminate any chance of such happening.

We also wouldn't have a replacement for Tank (right away) and would be a worse team. I'd take Matthews and Marner for Tarasenko, but thats a huge risk. Unless Toronto feels they can compete next year, (maybe throw in Allen to be their goalie) I can't seem them taking it. Allen is probably worth a 2nd (which they have 2 of) so Marner+Matthews+56th for Tank+Allen?
One thing not mentioned, we now have the cap for Steve Stamkos. Not that we would need him, rather spend it on more of a need.

Next year, our top 9 could be:
Schwartz-Shipachyov-Eriksson
Steen-Stastny-Backes
Fabbri-Matthews-Marner
Berglund-Sobotka-Jaskin

Okay, if that offer is on the table maybe we do take it.

1084.gif

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Every player on the team has room for improvement.

Trading Tarasenko would be absolutely moronic. It's not going to happen.

Especially after 1 poor post season performace...when he's been the only bright spot for the past 3 years.

The guy has earned criticism but as long as he still has the attitude he's known for, absolutely no need to even consider trading him

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Was that wicked Roussell slash during the second round? Or before the playoffs? The one where we were on the PP and Tarasenko was standing by the net and took one of the most brutal 2hnds I've ever seen.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Especially after 1 poor post season performace...when he's been the only bright spot for the past 3 years.

The guy has earned criticism but as long as he still has the attitude he's known for, absolutely no need to even consider trading him

I agree, I haven't liked his play at all since December but trading him at this point would be idiotic. I'm harsh on him because he's the highest player on the team, but his flaws are something that can be fixed. I'd like to see him play under a different coach, personally.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I will stand by my original point that Tarasenko is more valuable than us to anyone and trading him just creates another hole.
Schwartz, that's a little different. I'm not suggesting we shop him bu t I'm far more open to dealing him then Tarasenko.

Articles like this will happen. Its how the media works, they've down their job well considering were talking about it.

At first I was simply just aggravated by the thought of Tarasenko being traded, etc. Now I've had some time to truly think this through, realizing why this was even written.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree, I haven't liked his play at all since December but trading him at this point would be idiotic. I'm harsh on him because he's the highest player on the team, but his flaws are something that can be fixed. I'd like to see him play under a different coach, personally.
Yea I noticed it too. We all chalked it up for being worn down since he seriously was our offense for the 1st half of the year. My issue is it visually looks like his compete level is almost non existent. It's easy to say he's being lazy, but I don't know what else to call it.

He looks very indecisive with the puck now.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yea I noticed it too. We all chalked it up for being worn down since he seriously was our offense for the 1st half of the year. My issue is it visually looks like his compete level is almost non existent. It's easy to say he's being lazy, but I don't know what else to call it.

If he was trying to do too much with the puck and attempting to be a one man show, I could understand it. It's natural for a star like him to try and take over a game himself. But coasting all over the ice isn't something I really expected from him.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
Was that wicked Roussell slash during the second round? Or before the playoffs? The one where we were on the PP and Tarasenko was standing by the net and took one of the most brutal 2hnds I've ever seen.

I'm not positive but for some reason I think I remember that being in one of the last few regular season games.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If he was trying to do too much with the puck and attempting to be a one man show, I could understand it. It's natural for a star like him to try and take over a game himself. But coasting all over the ice isn't something I really expected from him.

This is why it's so frustrating. We've seen him try to do to much. This isn't the case.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just Friedman stirring up ****. It's how he makes a living. Tarasenko is going absolutely nowhere and it's dumb to even consider it.

He has been beyond useless this series, and was not great last series(better, but not great), but he was excellent in round one, and he was right up there on the all time list for goals scored in his first 25 postseason games or something. He was like 2nd in the history of the league in goal scoring through his first 20 playoff games. He's unbelievabl clutch and he has been even in his time in Russia. He's been ass, but it's quite clearly an anomaly. His body of work has shown that he's at his best when the pressure is on. He is almost certainly injured, and very likely very fatigued.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis

Any line he's on isn't playing as a unit is the biggest thing I've noticed. I attribute it to bad habits all around. He isn't putting himself in a position to utilize his linemates, and his limemates are backing off a fair amount when he gets the puck.

Credit obviously due to the Sharks who have Dmen stepping up and cutting off his ice, as they should, and solid backside pressure. Thats where i notice he's usually alone if he gets the puck and tries to skate it over the red line.

He's shooting himself in the foot though by his Steen-esque refusal to hit the red line with speed and back the D in. He's making himself easy to defend. I'm interested in his inability to touch the puck cleanly. No net drive, not that he's had a ton, but still, he's barely in dangerous areas and with little possession time when he does.

Steen, Shatty, and Tarasenko have all been piss poor in my opinion. A different series with them modestly clicking....

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Any line he's on isn't playing as a unit is the biggest thing I've noticed. I attribute it to bad habits all around. He isn't putting himself in a position to utilize his linemates, and his limemates are backing off a fair amount when he gets the puck.

Credit obviously due to the Sharks who have Dmen stepping up and cutting off his ice, as they should, and solid backside pressure. Thats where i notice he's usually alone if he gets the puck and tries to skate it over the red line.

He's shooting himself in the foot though by his Steen-esque refusal to hit the red line with speed and back the D in. He's making himself easy to defend. I'm interested in his inability to touch the puck cleanly. No net drive, not that he's had a ton, but still, he's barely in dangerous areas and with little possession time when he does.

Steen, Shatty, and Tarasenko have all been piss poor in my opinion. A different series with them modestly clicking....

That's a good breakdown. When they want to set Tarasenko up to break in with speed it usually involves passing the puck to a stationary player at the red line who one touches it Tarasenko who's already at speed. I havnt seen them use this at all.

Fabbri and Stastny have been consistently effective with the puck. Should shift those 3 together when they can

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
That's a good breakdown. When they want to set Tarasenko up to break in with speed it usually involves passing the puck to a stationary player at the red line who one touches it Tarasenko who's already at speed. I havnt seen them use this at all.

Fabbri and Stastny have been consistently effective with the puck. Should shift those 3 together when they can

Why try to activate our most prolific scorer when we can obsess over line match ups against the hottest line in hockey right now and lose to them in all our home games? :sarcasm:

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Tarasenko is going to be fine. I'd be irate if he's traded, but it's comical because thats not going to ever happen.

He's been guarded well by San Jose, and the frustration has gotten to him by the way his body language is on the ice. Either way, it just takes one goal to turn it around. The pressure is on and we'll see how he reacts.

This is still the guy that has made highlight real plays and scored 40 goals for us this year.

Bob Sacamanu

Nov 11, 2008
Something is obviously bothering him, but you guys act like he's the reason we're down in this series. How about appreciating that he's one the biggest reason why we're IN this series? He has 7g and 13p this year (not to mention 2g that were called back due to an irrelevant offside call). He has a career 0.53 goals per game in the playoffs. He is not a choker.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Something is obviously bothering him, but you guys act like he's the reason we're down in this series. How about appreciating that he's one the biggest reason why we're IN this series? He has 7g and 13p this year (not to mention 2g that were called back due to an irrelevant offside call). He has a career 0.53 goals per game in the playoffs. He is not a choker.
Ummm yeah the 'best player' having 0 points has quite a bit to do with the Blues losing this series...

I don't think he was that great against Dallas and certainly not the reason we beat them. He helped against Chicago for sure, as he did against Minnesota and Chicago again. We all realize that.

I haven't read through all the posts (because most of them look like typical overreaction which isn't surprising) but I don't think anyone is calling him a choker, lol. His past is obviously still very strong. At the same time, he's not immune to criticism. When you're playing this poorly, especially a guy like him, you cannot escape it.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Having your best player have 0 points is a big reason we're down in the series.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
This is all nonsense. The Blues aren't getting rid of Vladdy. Does he need to step it up, absolutely. This off season I would really like to see him add another element into his game. I feel like his inability to one-time pucks is something that really hurts him. I would love to see him work on this during the off season.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Without Elliott, Petro and Tank, we would not have gotten to the second round.

I think he's playing hurt notwithstanding whatever disinformation Hitch is spouting at the moment. As of yesterday, I've stopped putting stock in anything Hitch has to say.

In either case, he's one of the greatest talents in the league and is our best forward by a large margin. Tough series....it's Ok...all stars have them.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Tarasenko's problem is easy to figure out: He just became a dad and has been trying to spend time with his newborn and play playoff hockey. In short, he's fatigued and it really shows.

I'd be less concerned with his performance and more concerned with this team's sense of resolve. It comes and goes so much the team should be tested for bipolar disorder.

This lol!

Yeah, focus is not the teams long term strength. It seems SJS likes pulling a B'hawks on us and just get's in our kitchen and messes stuff about and then we throw a hissy fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad