Tennis: French Open 2023

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ruud is hanging in there tougher than I thought he would. Not a shortage of pressure on Nole, given the significance of the potential win.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ruud is putting up a fight at least even if we know the final outcome.

Edit: and then he goes on to lose 8 straight points when Djokovic decides to really try. I don't know whether to be supremely impressed with Djokovic or sad for the state of men's tennis. Maybe both.

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I think Djokovic will also win the next three GS tournaments; the 2024 French Open might offer some challenge (a more mature Alcaraz and POSSIBLY a healthy Nadal (=a very distant possibility)).

In any case, when he's through, there's not much question about the GOAT.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger is the most beloved player in tennis history; Rafa is the greatest on a single surface. But Nole is the GOAT.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Well, Novak has pulled away. He now has at least three of the big ones. It's ridiculous.
I think Djokovic will also win the next three GS tournaments; the 2024 French Open might offer some challenge (a more mature Alcaraz and POSSIBLY a healthy Nadal (=a very distant possibility)).

In any case, when he's through, there's not much question about the GOAT.

Big Three made it look somewhat easy, so people forget how hard it is to win a major, let alone five majors in a row, especially considering how old Novak is and that USO is not exactly his alma mater.

As for Nadal, I hope he quits and saves the little health he has left for his kids. He is not catching Novak, it's pointless to chase another FO title (he is already untouchable and the ultimate clay savant). Why bother?

Reactions: I am not exposed

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Congrats to Djokovic! Fitting for Novak's fans that he passes Nadal on Rafa's favourite surface.

Federer and to a greater extent Roger/Rafa is still what transcended tennis for me, but it's clear that within the confines of the sport itself Novak stands alone in history.

Reactions: Oilhawks and kihei

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Do you guys think he gets the Calendar Slam?

I think he will. Wimbledon is already in the bag, nobody has a chance against him on grass. The U.S. open is the one tournament where crazy things can happen but I just can't see anybody beating him in a Best of 5 on a hard court, I don't think Alcaraz has the conditioning quite yet and Medvedev (probably the 2nd best hard court player of the last few years) just doesn't seem in top form, nobody else is in the same stratosphere. I think he gets the Calendar Slam and will surpass 30 in total barring injury. Unreal and the undisputed GOAT IMO.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know if he gets the Calender Slam, but I think his win today takes a lot of pressure off Wimbledon. If he wins Wimbledon he will also have an excellent shot at 400 weeks at #1. He's not thinking about any of this stuff tonight, though.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
US Open is a big anomaly and frankly, bit of a letdown in his career (if you're going to look at one negative) given 10 wins at AO and only 3 at USO.

His finals record (lost 6 of them) is quite poor for whatever reason despite pretty high win % overall. Combination of Federer early on, the windiest final of all time (2012), Stan x2, disqualified x1, not able to play x1, etc.

Reflecting back, turning points of his career:
1. Beating Federer in 2010 USO SF
2. Beating Nadal in 2018 Wimbledon

Things were looking quite rough prior to those matches.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
About as poor a start as I’ve seen from Novak ever. Yikes.

And you know, the funny thing is that after the match, Eurosport asked Alex Corretja when he thought Nole had the match in hand, and he said "After the second game." "Even though he was broken" they asked? He replied that yes, because Djokovic didn't look fazed at all, and had a way about him that said he was "ready for business." My wife--a HUUUUGE Nole fan--said the same thing: of course you never know what's going to happen, but he just didn't looked too bothered. Turns out they were right, so...take that for what it's worth. :laugh:

As for the GOAT race: I don't think it really matters, but yeah it's Djokovic. For fans of all tennis, just think how good we've had it getting to see Federer, then Nadal, and now Djokovic over the last two decades. Amazing. I remember when they were talking about how crazy it was that Sampras had won 14 majors, and how no one would get that for a long time.

As for the Calendar Slam: well, he's the only one who has a chance (ha!) but it will be a tremendous hill to climb. Alcaraz, Sinner, Rune, Medvedev, all have shown form on grass before and all are a year better from 2022. Personally, I hope he does it. But I wouldn't lay odds on it.

Reactions: Beau Knows

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
A weak era of tennis has dictated that 3 players dominate for 20 years. Tennis will be much better once Nole and Nadal have retired. Novak will have the accolades, but will never have what's most important. Love by his peers and fans. I am a Nadal fan and have so much respect and admiration for Fed and a list of others. Nole's behavior on court is no better then everyone's black sheep player, Nick Kyrigos.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
US Open is a big anomaly and frankly, bit of a letdown in his career (if you're going to look at one negative) given 10 wins at AO and only 3 at USO.

His finals record (lost 6 of them) is quite poor for whatever reason despite pretty high win % overall. Combination of Federer early on, the windiest final of all time (2012), Stan x2, disqualified x1, not able to play x1, etc.

Reflecting back, turning points of his career:
1. Beating Federer in 2010 USO SF
2. Beating Nadal in 2018 Wimbledon

Things were looking quite rough prior to those matches.

I'd add Wimbledon 2014 after he had lost 5 of 6 major finals going in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad