Tennis: French Open 2019

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A composed and well-played match from a calm, cool and collected customer in Ash Barty. Congrats on her maiden slam. And here's hoping we see Barty contend for more majors in the future because I like both her game and demeanor a lot.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Cool photo from the ATP socials.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1560010429357.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560010429357.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 5

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Well the final is gonna be tomorrow. I hope Thiem has enough left in the tank, it should be an excellent match if he does.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Wow Thiem pulled it off. He’s played for 4 days straight now including tomorrow so not sure how much is left in the tank for Domi. He’s only 25 tho so his recovery time would naturally be a lot quicker than someone Nadal/Djokovic/Federer’s age (despite those three being superhuman)

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A composed and well-played match from a calm, cool and collected customer in Ash Barty. Congrats on her maiden slam. And here's hoping we see Barty contend for more majors in the future because I like both her game and demeanor a lot.
Barty seems very old-school Australian to me (pre-Hewitt, Tomic and Kyrgios, in other words), a very refreshing and easy to like presence.

Wish I got to see the men's final tomorrow, but I will be on the road early.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
That's mind-boggling. First player born in the 80s to win a Slam was Marat Safin almost 19...19 years ago at the 2000 USO.

I'm hoping the 90s player drought continues, though.
The youngest male on planet earth right now to have won a major is Marin Cilic and he's 30.....90's born players have easily been the worst gen in ATP history

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Game on as Thiem evens the French Open final at a set a piece.

Nadal just took one of those patented 10-minute bathroom breaks those main purpose is to reset himself and halt Thiem's momentum. Hate that.

Unsurprisingly Rafa breaks at love the very next game and his first service game as love as well. Ugh. I think Thiem should have gone to the locker room himself too.

Last edited:
Reactions: umbertovanek

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Rafa's tenacity is unmatched in tennis and maybe other sports, too. Well deserved win.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
At a certain point Rafa's dominance at Rold Garros is going to have be recognized as one of the greatest achievments in this history of sport. Especially since he has done this directly across the primes of Federer and Djokovic. He's a ridiculous 93-2 at Roland Garros, and even that understates his dominance as he's only dropped 27 sets across his 95 matches.

Its also not a coincidence that the only 3 non-Rafa winners since 2005 all avoided him en route to victory.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
At a certain point Rafa's dominance at Rold Garros is going to have be recognized as one of the greatest achievments in this history of sport. Especially since he has done this directly across the primes of Federer and Djokovic. He's a ridiculous 93-2 at Roland Garros, and even that understates his dominance as he's only dropped 27 sets across his 95 matches.

Its also not a coincidence that the only 3 non-Rafa winners since 2005 all avoided him en route to victory.

he also had an 81 game win streak on clay. Just his dominiance on the surface is one of the greatest achievements in sports.
Every tennis player seems to have a favorite surface and tournament. For Roger it's Wimbledon/grass, for Djoko it's Australia/hard surface. But nobody has dominated like Rafa has dominated clay. Specially since, if I'm not mistaken, clay seems to be where most Europeans and Latin Americans train.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad