GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - July 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m still annoyed & disappointed, like any kid who didn’t get the highest-priced new toy he wanted on Christmas Morning.

But I’ve calmed down.

Without anyone taking JVR, they couldn’t afford Gaudreau or any big price players.

And did anyone on here think it would be a good idea to trade a 1st to get rid of JVR?

Hell, before the fever of the day, I swear 90% of this board staunchly supported tanking & were against signing Gaudreau to a huge long term deal.

So you’d think a hell of a lot more posters would be happy they stayed out of huge contracts and from trading a first rd pick to dump salary.

If you can’t trade JVR without adding a first, you’re stuck.

I thought they could bury Ellis on LTIR, also, but apparently he really is trying to come back. So you have to budget for the possibility.

If Ellis doesn’t come back, you need another top 4 RHD. That was DeAngelo.

You need a cheap 3rd RD while Attard learns in the AHL, so that’s Braun.

And people will hate $1.75M for Deslauriers, but they’re trying to re-establish an identity, & 1.75M for one of the rare 4th liners who will do that (and can PK) is far from a major expense. Same cost as Reeves. Puts up 10-15 pts.

So basically, I wanted excitement & intrigue, but unless you’re trading a 1st with JVR, it wasn’t going to happen.

And hey, most people thought a Gaudreau contract would be a ticking time bomb. So perhaps all for the best, if they even were interested in him.

Reactions: Rebel247

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m still annoyed & disappointed, like any kid who didn’t get the highest-priced new toy he wanted on Christmas Morning.

But I’ve calmed down.

Without anyone taking JVR, they couldn’t afford Gaudreau or any big price players.

And did anyone on here think it would be a good idea to trade a 1st to get rid of JVR?

Hell, before the fever of the day, I swear 90% of this board staunchly supported tanking & were against signing Gaudreau to a huge long term deal.

So you’d think a hell of a lot more posters would be happy they stayed out of huge contracts and from trading a first rd pick to dump salary.

I thought they could bury Ellis on LTIR, also, but apparently he really is trying to come back. So you have to budget for the possibility.

And people will hate $1.75M for Deslauriers, but they’re trying to re-establish an identity, & 1.75M for one of the rare 4th liners who will do that (and can PK) is far from a major expense. Same cost as Reeves. Puts up 10-15 pts.

So basically, I wanted excitement & intrigue, but unless you’re trading a 1st with JVR, it wasn’t going to happen.

And hey, most people thought a Gaudreau contract would be a ticking time bomb. So perhaps all for the best, if they even were interested in him.
Do you think the trade and signing of Risto were good moves?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
I'm done as a fan for this year. Or until chuck is fired. Actually until the whole front office is rehauled. There really isn't any reason to follow this team, even if it's through illegal streaming.

i stopped by illegal streaming after the covid playoff loss to the islanders.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Unfortunately, Deslauriers doesn't PK, he's rarely played it and when he does it's about a minute per game.
And that identity is out of date by two decades.
The one good thing is if they find a real 4LW they can bury him at a cap cost of $750K or so until they decide to buy him out.

I also don't think Attard needs to learn in the AHL, 3 years in a top college program and 15 NHL games is a lot more experience against men than the CHL until you're 20.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
@Captain Dave Poulin you have a new job. Go blast him!
he can sign it for all of us with something like "The real Bring it to Broad" or something

an identity that is 4 decades removed at this point

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But I’ve calmed down.

Nice to see you are back to your contrarian ways and defending Fletch, that good GM you spoke of.

Justify not getting the 2nd leading scorer in the league and instead signing one of the worst regular forwards. Impressive stuff.

Time for me to go to bed and forget this day for a bit.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I just went back and listened and there are points in that presser Chuck sounded really annoyed, like someone who sucks at there job being called out on all the dumb shit they’ve done and try to defend it.

This was the most angry/annoyed you’ve heard him.

I get the sense that he knows he didn’t do enough and is trying to defend it but it’s not defenseable.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

But I’ve calmed down.

You can’t trade a 2nd 3rd and 4th for DeAngelo and back away from Gaudreau because of the cost of assets. It makes no sense especially because they only signed DeAngelo for two years. There is no direction which is actually worse than having a bad one. That’s how you have a bottom 4 team in the league with very little draft capital and no capspace and still making short term expensive band aid signing costing a lot of assets. This management team is really just throwing crap against the wall at this point and without any direction is stuck in purgatory. The only hope I have is at they are so inept that they may end up tanking by accident.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be honest, I'm happy they didn't go after JG, 7x9.5 or whatever is exactly what they don't need.
TDA is 2 years, so if he keeps his nose clean, he could bring back assets next summer or TDL 2024.
After watching 31 year old Manson get 4x4.5, 30 year old Risto in 2 years could have value at 3x5 (maybe retain a million).

So Fletcher didn't dig a deeper hole, which is all we can ask at this point, awaiting the inevitable house cleaning.

Reactions: Lurch

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
Well likely many of you won't agree but I live here in Calgary and I am thrilled we passed on Johnny......that is going to be a terrible contract in a few years....and he is not the guy we need to build around....some of the best deals you make, are the ones you never make.....though I am surprised he ended up in Columbus......
That’s certainly a good point, but CF being out on JG - as only one example of a good player not being an option for this club - was a situation that existed only because of his terrible asset management and utter lack of planning. It’s a feature of his management style that he invests in little bits of overpriced junk rather than saving for the right player at the right time, not a bug.

Edit: Brind’Amour beat me to it. Also, to be clear, I understand the point you’re making.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
To be honest, I'm happy they didn't go after JG, 7x9.5 or whatever is exactly what they don't need.
TDA is 2 years, so if he keeps his nose clean, he could bring back assets next summer or TDL 2024.
After watching 31 year old Manson get 4x4.5, 30 year old Risto in 2 years could have value at 3x5 (maybe retain a million).

So Fletcher didn't dig a deeper hole, which is all we can ask at this point, awaiting the inevitable house cleaning.
This is embarrassing

I'll ask again. Out of all the bullshit you spew, how much of it do you actually believe in?

Reactions: Nizzle

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Gaudreau could be a huge mistake but Fletcher's own incompetence made that not a possibility. The shit he said was so bad I'm sure he doesn't even believe it.

This is embarrassing

I'll ask again. Out of all the bullshit you spew, how much of it do you actually believe in?

Well deadhead's take is always "we can recoup the assets!" as if that's actually feasible.

The Flyers threw away a ton of draft capital with Fletcher at the helm.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Rough day. Rough 2 years in reality. Chuck isn’t the rebuild type GM, but you can’t really fire him now after letting him do the draft and free agency day. But there is just no direction. It’s scary. If we are rebuilding/tanking, looking at the moves, they make no sense. Why throw picks away for TDA? Why sign Deslauriers for 4 years? Why bring Braun back? Why sign a 32 year old goalie with 4 games of nhl experience to battle for the backup spot? I’m just dejected lol.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I cannot believe you think Manson and Risto are comparable in any way.

He has absolutely dug a deeper hole. We are out even more picks and chained to even more bad players with term. Every aspect of the team's situation has become worse than it was last offseason, which is unbelievable because last offseason was a blatant disaster and the team crashing was only a surprise to the Fletcher Fans.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Nice to see you are back to your contrarian ways and defending Fletch, that good GM you spoke of.

Justify not getting the 2nd leading scorer in the league and instead signing one of the worst regular forwards. Impressive stuff.

Time for me to go to bed and forget this day for a bit.
Didn’t you support tanking?

And weren’t you against trading a 1st rd pick to dump JVR?

So I don’t even know your argument. They should tank, but also should give up a 1st to dump JVR so they can sign Gaudreau?

Inconsistent stances. Choose one. Right now you’re only choosing complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad