GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The funny thing is everyone is talking how we need Holtby for a compressed schedule. What is our D going to do in the compressed schedule

One Edler injury and we have

Hughes Myers
Rathbone? Benn
OJ? Raferty

Ideally Benn would be our 7..
I think there’s almost zero chance that we go into this season with that defense. I’m not saying that we will necessarily be happy with the price we pay or the players we acquire but there’s no way we start with that D imo. One top 4 guy and one depth guy, both on the right side will be acquired.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think there’s almost zero chance that we go into this season with that defense. I’m not saying that we will necessarily be happy with the price we pay or the players we acquire but there’s no way we start with that D imo. One top 4 guy and one depth guy, both on the right side will be acquired.
Benning has only been able to acquire ONE top four guy via free agency in six seasons. And he’s at best a #4. And it took a $6 million per year cap hit/multi year deal to do that.

Reactions: bossram

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I am very confident they will get one more d man but depending on who that is, not sure if they get two. They will only have about 4.5-5 in cap space once Virtanen and Gaudette sign,

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Honestly Ekblad would be the perfect fit for this team...

4 more years @ 7.5 and 24 years old... would be a great partner for Hughes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Anyone actually looked at how much flexibility Detroit has starting in 21/22. Incredible. If you assume Mantha and Bertuzzi cost $10m combined they have $40m in room. With what I’d actually consider a deep pool of prospects.

The league is going to change a lot coming up quickly.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Baertschi is an AHL player. Makes almost 4.5 million. Different players and contracts

I don't necessarily agree that Baertschi can't play in the NHL anymore (his cap hit is under $3.4M FYI) but okay, I'll let that one go.

I notice you didn't mention Sutter though. Guy has the family name, pedigree, balls of steel, intangibles/mentorship for days and plays the right way - the kind of guy that old school GM's love. Why hasn't he been moved...?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
For the Utica Comets, nothing. For an NHL team that almost got to the 2nd round by heavily relying on their now-gone tender and top defensive d-man.. probably a lot.

Finally? Are you implying that Chris Tanev has prevented Tyler Myers from playing on the top pairing with QH43 and now with Chris gone, Tyler can now blossom into the 1D that he's destined to be?

Perhaps you can look into our system for us and report back on if we have any Chris Tanev's hidden away out east?
We were running a bottom pairing of Benn and Fantenberg in the playoffs and winning games. We can win games with Juolevi and Rafferty as a bottom pairing unless you think Benn and Fantenberg are superior players.

Myers is a better defenceman than Tanev. Hughes was doing everything on his pairing because Tanev isn't skilled with the puck.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am very confident they will get one more d man but depending on who that is, not sure if they get two. They will only have about 4.5-5 in cap space once Virtanen and Gaudette sign,
They can't really do term, which is the issue for them. You don't want to end up like STL locking yourself into Faulk and not having enough to sign AP.

Canucks need to ensure that they have around $18 mill in free cap space to allocate to Petey/Hughes for 21-22.

This off-season, I can understand fans being upset, but this organization has to think 21-22 and taking care of the cornerstones first before adding anything.

Sucks, but this is their reality. We all know this day was coming, even without a Pandemic.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Back to my guessing board;

I’m guessing Hamonic ultimately signs a deal in the 3 year, $3.75 to $4m per year range - whether that’s in Vancouver or elsewhere.

I also think Toffoli still sticks with Vancouver. Maybe on a 2-3 year deal around $4m per season, give or take a quarter million. Outside chance he “bets on himself” a la Tyson Barrie and signs a 1 year, sub $4m deal and hopes to cash in next summer.

I don’t believe they have money to sign Toffoli if they lock in a Dman. It’s one or the other. The remaining player would have to make close to 1m~ AAV.

There’s only about 5.5m~ left.

(Not 100% on this though)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would agree. I think Fantenberg is the Stecher replacement and Vatanen the Tanev replacement.

It still looks really bad with an Edler injury or Hughes.

Hughes-Vatanen
Edler-Myers
Fantenberg-Benn
Juolevi-Rafferty

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don't necessarily agree that Baertschi can't play in the NHL anymore (his cap hit is under $3.4M FYI) but okay, I'll let that one go.

I notice you didn't mention Sutter though. Guy has the family name, pedigree, balls of steel, intangibles/mentorship for days and plays the right way - the kind of guy that old school GM's love. Why hasn't he been moved...?
Could be two reasons. One, Benning actually values Sutter and is moronic enough to keep him instead of shed his cap. Two, no team wants him at that cap hit. It’s an interesting situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad