GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - Dater says Avs will be quiet today so......

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Something a lot of folks seem to forget is its a free agents choice. Folks are saying we shouldnt over pay, but how do you tbink we get decent talent to sign with us when better teams with better locations are interested?.

No one likes losing, but a few hundred thousand more then im worth makes it an easier pill to swollow.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Something a lot of folks seem to forget is its a free agents choice. Folks are saying we shouldnt over pay, but how do you tbink we get decent talent to sign with us when better teams with better locations are interested?.

No one likes losing, but a few hundred thousand more then im worth makes it an easier pill to swollow.

If it's gonna be overpayment it should be on a real good player. Alot of average players got overpaid in free agency, something I'm glad Avs stayed away from.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Who said anything about fixing it entirely? I want to see some type of move in the right direction. The only positive one made in the last 3 seasons was acquiring EJ. Getting rid of zanon doesn't count since sarich is pretty much as bad.

The offseason is basically a week old. Relax and be patient.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It woudln't hurt for us to overpay an FA dman tbh. We could afford it next year and cap is probably gonna be above $70 M year after that.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The offseason is basically a week old. Relax and be patient.

Are you really expecting more to happen this offseason? They've been up front with us so far and acknowledged that there probably wasn't much they could do this summer. I expect we're pretty much set with our roster for next season, and to me going into another season with the worst defense in the league is another lost season.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Are you really expecting more to happen this offseason? They've been up front with us so far and acknowledged that there probably wasn't much they could do this summer. I expect we're pretty much set with our roster for next season, and to me going into another season with the worst defense in the league is another lost season.

The only thing they've been upfront with us about was MacKinnon. We didn't see the Tanguay/Jones trade coming and we certainly didn't see Hunwick/Zanon on waivers. I mean we all wanted Jones/O'Brien/Zanon/Hunwick gone but we didn't think it would happen did we?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The only thing they've been upfront with us about was MacKinnon. We didn't see the Tanguay/Jones trade coming and we certainly didn't see Hunwick/Zanon on waivers. I mean we all wanted Jones/O'Brien/Zanon/Hunwick gone but we didn't think it would happen did we?

Yes in the sense that Sakic spoke about the issue of the number of contracts preventing them from making moves. So sure, they cleared one but already replaced it with another (Benoit).

I'm not really sure what this conversation is about anymore. I am looking forward to next season, to see Mackinnon play, to see if any of the other young guys take another step forward, to see what the team looks like with a different coach at the helm. I think we could very well see some player movement in season as well. However, I simply prefer to have realistic expectations as to what we can do with a defense corps this bad. To me it's a recipe for another bottom 5 finish, regardless of who your coach is or who you have up front.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I went away for the holiday weekend, but kept in touch of the signings with the reception I had. Glad we didn't go and over pay for 3rd liners, but that Ferance contract was pretty damn good.

The most shocking thing is how cheap Ottawa got Bobby Ryan for, Wow. Why the hell did Alfredsson sign with Detroit and why is the Red Wings keep signing social security players?

Averick*

So I went away for the holiday weekend, but kept in touch of the signings with the reception I had. Glad we didn't go and over pay for 3rd liners, but that Ferance contract was pretty damn good.

The most shocking thing is how cheap Ottawa got Bobby Ryan for, Wow. Why the hell did Alfredsson sign with Detroit and why is the Red Wings keep signing social security players?

Ference is from Edmonton and wanted to be there--a home town discount.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Hainsey 2x3-3.25M? Seems from what I've read he's probably not a true top pairing guy anymore, but may fill the spot better than Wilson. Only FA left I've even thought may fit on the top pairing.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Hainsey 2x3-3.25M? Seems from what I've read he's probably not a true top pairing guy anymore, but may fill the spot better than Wilson. Only FA left I've even thought may fit on the top pairing.

I can't believe he hasn't been signed yet. He may be looking for too much term. I think on a 2 year contract he is a good signing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Well, the media outlet widely recognized for their incredible hockey insight, USA Today, have Hainsey ranked as the 6th best UFA still left.

6. Ron Hainsey: He played almost 23 minutes a game on the Winnipeg Jets' defense. He's a smart man. He was a leader for the NHL Players' Association during the collective-bargaining negotiations, and always conducted himself professionally no matter how heated the negotiations.

I do wonder which teams are interested and what the going price is. A 6'3", 215 pound defenseman who has been shifted completely into a defensive, shut-down role in the last couple of seasons. He can skate well, makes a very good outlet pass, and is pretty much as good as he's going to get at 32 years of age. Doesn't use his body much, though. Never has. Was 4th in the NHL in blocked shots last year, but let's not look at that statistic since The Beard was 2nd in the whole league in that stat. Anyhow, not a bad option on a 2/3 year contract or something.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Only a matter of time before the media starts the collusion talk because of Hainsey's role in the CBA negotiations. Somebody please sign him and soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad