Free Agency XII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
So we are all bored... let's throw out some questions:

1) With the current roster, where do you rank the Penguins coming into this season? Is it even plausible to rank without knowing our strategy first?

2) What are your strengths/weaknesses?

3) Who is one Penguin you think will have an unexpected great season?

1. I think they're going to falter out of the gate big time. Adjusting to a new coach tends to cause this anyway, but there are so many entrenched bad habits from the previous staff lasting so long that I think it's almost inevitable they'll be, at best, a bubble team at the Christmas break (to much local panic).

I also think they'll come around in the second half.

I'll say second or third in the Patrick division.

2. The transition game should be a major strength. Powerplay as well.

The ability to keep the puck out of the net is a complete wild card. I like everything I've seen from Johnston when it comes to transition and attacking. I know next to nothing about his philosophy on what to do when the puck is in your zone.

There are several high profile D to come out of Portland over the years who seem to be confused when it comes to D zone coverage, including, but not limited to both Pouliot and Jones. It's cause for concern to me.

3. Considering how low people seem to regard them, judging by recent comments, I'll say one of Samuelsson or Dumoulin will surprise people.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Johnston will probably be an improvement, but we can't be sure yet. He has said all the right things so far.

Has he? According to Madden, Malkin "wasn't impressed" by MJ's visit to Russia:

http://m.timesonline.com/columnists...3a3-524b-5de2-82ce-c6aafa013473.html?mode=jqm

edit: weird, you need a subscription to view this, even though I read it earlier today without one. It was just really brief and Madden said that Malkin wasn't impressed by the visit. Have we heard anything else about this?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Has he? According to Madden, Malkin "wasn't impressed" by MJ's visit to Russia:

http://m.timesonline.com/columnists...3a3-524b-5de2-82ce-c6aafa013473.html?mode=jqm

edit: weird, you need a subscription to view this, even though I read it earlier today without one. It was just really brief and Madden said that Malkin wasn't impressed by the visit. Have we heard anything else about this?

It was discussed in the media thread how it was ******** and anyone who would know if that was the case (Geno, Kadar, Johnston) wouldn't have shared it with Madden. He's just trying to find something to start controversy about in the middle of summer.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Interesting perspective about the center depth, Shady, but I'll ask you this...

Is having a bunch of average to good third line centers worth it? Is that good depth? Or should we have focused on one of those guys and allocating funds elsewhere. Or maybe taking all 3-4 3rd line centers we have and putting it to one much better 3rd line center?

I think Sutter is a candidate for the unexpected great season category. A coach that uses him as the defensive stud that he is + give him 2 quality linemates = excellent 3C for us.

As for the team overall. I think we'll struggle early on to get rid of some of the BS that crept in under DB. But I think Sid will come into this season with a purpose. As long as he commits to buying in early and often, the team will follow. Hopefully Malkin takes a step in terms of leadership and does the same.

The East is wide open. Boston isn't the juggernaut they're made out to be.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Johnston will probably be an improvement, but we can't be sure yet. He has said all the right things so far.

I seriously wonder how bad Johnston would have to be to be worse than Bylsma. Bylsma struggled with really simple things to an alarming degree, as long as he can do the simple things competently it will be an improvement. Like knowing who is awful and doing something not stupid about it, knowing handedness and doing something with that information, not turning the end of the game into crappy 4th liner time to protect a close lead, not having a spy, not having a comical issue with young talent, actually practicing, not having ridiculous stubbornness, not deliberately icing an inferior lineup, etc. Not to mention the damn go north as fast as possible philosophy.

Johnston doesn't have to step in and be an NHL tactical genius, just don't deliberately sabotage things. The assistants should be an improvement, too. Which should be big.

It was discussed in the media thread how it was ******** and anyone who would know if that was the case (Geno, Kadar, Johnston) wouldn't have shared it with Madden. He's just trying to find something to start controversy about in the middle of summer.

And then you have Madden's thing with Geno. Maybe Johnston didn't bring a nice present, though?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I don't disagree. Especially considering that Madden isn't exactly known as a big Malkin fan.

Though I have to admit that I'm a little curious as to why there was all of this (relative) hooplah over this visit and then... nothing. Not one follow up. Hockey news isn't exactly coming at us fast and furious, right now. You'd think there would at least be some puff piece out there.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
What's going to happen to Zatkoff? Starting in WBS or maybe someone else will claim him? I don't know his waiver status and all that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What's going to happen to Zatkoff? Starting in WBS or maybe someone else will claim him? I don't know his waiver status and all that.

Yeah he has to go through waivers, and he's on a one-way deal too. If someone's starter or backup gets hurt he might get claimed. Otherwise probably not. Most teams already have a Zatkoff in their system.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013

1) With the current roster, where do you rank the Penguins coming into this season? Is it even plausible to rank without knowing our strategy first?

1. Win the Metro. 1st or 2nd in the East behind Boston.

2. Strengths:
Bottom 6
Sidney freakin' Crosby
Evgeni freakin' Malkin

Weakness:
Top 6 (winger-wise anyway)
Potentially goaltending, but probably not until around April.

3. If we're thinking really unexpected, then Kasperi Kapanen. It's a longshot, but I think the kid could get a 10-game trial and impress us and the coaching staff (therefore staying with the team for the season), play on Sid's wing and score ~20 goals.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I think we win the division again by a fairly sizable margin again.

Strengths: Bottom 6. Special teams. Transition game. Sid and Geno.
Weaknesses: Relatively weak top 6 even strength scoring. Still above average across the league.

Would it be unexpected for Sutter to have a really good season?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah he has to go through waivers, and he's on a one-way deal too. If someone's starter or backup gets hurt he might get claimed. Otherwise probably not. Most teams already have a Zatkoff in their system.

Not a good year for goaltenders either, there's a lot of guys that are still looking for work as well.

Thomas, Bryzgalov, Brodeur...

But in Zatkoff's case, he's signed cheap, is a decent enough back-up, at worst if the team does waive him, they free up cap space and a contract slot if someone claims him. I hope someone claims him.

As it stands right now, the Jets are in the market for a veteran back-up. Dealing him to the Jets for a 5-6th? Better than nothing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

1) Top 4 in the East, probably top 3. Top 2 in the Metro but 1st is doable given the division. I think they'll struggle at first but that should be offset by better coaching and a better roster to a degree. The talent is capable of smoothing over the teething pain well enough, and they're in the Metro and East. Barring and injuries...

The strategy is a question mark, but given the pile of **** that they went into last season with and the improvements they've made I think it's possible to make a decent guess.

2) Strengths: Centre depth, Crosby and Malkin, defensive depth and quality of defense. The PP in theory should be great.
Weaknesses: Top 6 wingers and the subsequent depth problem that creates. Inexperience and the grind could hit the young guys. The injury question.

God only knows what Fleury does this season.

3) Unexpected? Greiss. I could see him really pushing Fleury for the starting job. Possibly Goc, if they can give him decent wingers he could do damn well behind Crosby, Malkin and Sutter. But I think it could be an improvement for a lot of our skilled players overall and I expect them to do well. Actually, playoffs Sutter in the regular season would be a surprise.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Too hard to judge how this coaching staff is going to handle things, and how the players are going to respond to the staff. It looks like a good match on paper but who knows how Johnston will do, and if Tocchet finds his niche. Agnew is like the only guy that's previously proven to be capable at his current position.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Sid and Geno are healthy, we are going to make the playoffs and if Martin and Letang stay healthy we likely win the division to go along with it. That is regardless of any coaching. I could coach this team to the playoffs.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Less than 2 days until Hayes is a Pen.

1) The Pens should easily be Top 3 in the East.

2)

Strengths
  • top center talent
  • bottom 6 depth
  • mobile defensemen

Weaknesses
  • top wingers
  • overall grit
  • Glass
  • adjusting to a new system

3) Downie and Spaling

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Less than 2 days until Hayes is a Pen.

1) The Pens should easily be Top 3 in the East.

2)

Strengths
  • top center talent
  • bottom 6 depth
  • mobile defensemen

Weaknesses
  • top wingers
  • overall grit
  • Glass
  • adjusting to a new system

3) Downie and Spaling

Glass is gone....do you mean Adams?

penguins2946*

Nope. I will continue to blame Glass for things that go wrong.

I'm still going to post the smug Bylsma picture whenever something bad happens. Despres benched for Scuderi? Smug Bylsma. Adams on the PK? Smug Bylsma. Fleury lets in a softy? Smug Bylsma.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the gif of Shero throwing money needs to be posted whenever complaints are made about Dupuis and/or Scuderi.

Edit:

Had to crop out Mario & Malkin.

a6q0xyZ.gif

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm still going to post the smug Bylsma picture whenever something bad happens. Despres benched for Scuderi? Smug Bylsma. Adams on the PK? Smug Bylsma. Fleury lets in a softy? Smug Bylsma.

Yeah, it's about what Smug Bylsma represents.

I think the gif of Shero throwing money needs to be posted whenever complaints are made about Dupuis and/or Scuderi.

Yes. :laugh:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

1) I think they will struggle for the few months. New coach, new assistants, new system, a bunch of new players. They still have the star power so it wont be a gong show but its gonna be rough in a few spots. My hope is that they finish the year 2nd in the metro but only a couple of points up on 3rd. Id like to see them finish 4th or 5th in the conference to get into the playoffs. Maybe not steamrolling through the season will be good for the team. They had struggles through injuries last year and they still killed it during the regular season.

2) Strengths: Center, bottom 6, top 4 D

Weaknesses: overall team grit / toughness, top 4 wingers, a lot new adjustments, as mentioned above

Coin-flip: As always, Fleury.

3) Hornqvist. I think he is going to have a monster season. 36g/33a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: