Free Agency/Trade thread - 2014-15 season V. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Agreed.. It`s the same old stuff every year, acquiring a center like Staal will legitimately give us a center that we`ve craved since the departure of Sundin.

It all depends on what our new management thinks of our core. If they truly believe in this core, then we forsure will be in on staal. From my pov, I think they do believe in this core and could 100% see us after staal. He would fit the core age perfectly.

Swayze*

Since when did 29 become the new 40? By the way some people are talking you'd think he's on the verge of retirement.

- He's consistently healthy

- has averaged 70 points a year the last 5 years

- #1 C with size, and two way play

People look at his point totals last year and think he's done. He was on one of the 1st teams in the league talent wise. His line mates at their best was TLUSTY and SEMIN. Yet still put up 60 points. Imagine what he'd do with JVR and Kessel?
80-90 points probably

Would love to have him

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Same old Leafs. Start throwing away young assets in an effort to get a 30-year-old player that is closer to the back nine of his career than his prime.

What exactly would be the point of getting Stall at this point in his career?

At their best the Leafs are a fringe playoff team this season. For argument's sake let's say a package of Kadri plus Rielly/Percy/Gardiner and draft picks lands them Stall.

Then what? They're still a fringe playoff team. The trade has done nothing to solve their biggest problem - goals against.

I`m not so sure we`d be fringe. If anything it would give Nonis more motivation to figure out our D situation. Our team continues to win with Gardiner in the press-box hypothetically, you obviously look at a trade for Eric Staal.

If we have the puck more than the other team, and score more goals then our GA will go down. Our GA was high last season because we were dependent on our top-line, and our third-line was non-existent.

Rielly and Percy at this point are safe to say will not be traded. What if the deal hypothetically is Kadri + Franson + lessar prospect. Next season you`re looking at a line-up of:

JVR-Staal-Kessel
Lupul-Bozak-Nylander
Komarov-Santorelli-Clarkson

Phaneuf-Robidas
Gardiner-Percy
Rielly-Polak

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
It all depends on what our new management thinks of our core. If they truly believe in this core, then we forsure will be in on staal. From my pov, I think they do believe in this core and could 100% see us after staal. He would fit the core age perfectly.

I think we`re hesistant to give-up youth because in the past we`ve gone after players like Francis, Nolan, Wesley etc.. These players were on the tail-end of their careers. Eric Staal is a 1C and will be a 1C for atleast 4-5 more years in this league.

I would refrain from giving up a 1st round pick however, Kadri realistically is more of a 2C and is Gardiner magically going to turn into a 1D in the next 2 season.. Their ceilings are starting to become realized.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Next seasons forward group with a Staal trade..

JVR-Staal-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Nylander
Komarov-Santorelli-Clarkson
Winnik-Carrick-Panik

HometownHockey

Is Staal the right fit for the Maple Leafs?

Is Staal the right fit for the Maple Leafs?

Staal_Eric2_L.jpg

There has been much speculation in NHL circles that Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal might be moved this season, if the team continues to struggle. TSN reported last night that a team like the Toronto Maple Leafs would have definite interest in the big, power centre. They speculated that the asking price for Staal would be one of Tyler Bozak or Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner and a first round draft pick.

READ MORE (HometownHockey.ca)...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/TOR0002.php

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth I don't think we're in the position to go after an expensive player....Unless his price is similar to Ryan Kesler

Edit - He got a first but it was from Anaheim so not as valuable as ours

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
what team couldn't use him? But it does have to be for a decent price like that what Kesler went for.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Rumours swirl about Eric Staal coming to Toronto

Hey guys,

According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, Eric Staal is apparently willing to waive his no-trade arrangement for a deal that would land him with the Maple Leafs. The Leafs have been kicking tires on Eric Staal throughout most of the summer, according to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger and at least one Leafs front office source. The Leafs have made numerous trade proposals before the season began. But in recent days there has been absolutely no talks between the two teams.

In my opinion, the Leafs would be better off trading Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, and a 1st round pick for a younger #1 centre instead of Eric Staal.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/14/rumours-swirl-about-staal-coming-to-toronto

This much we know: The Leafs have been kicking tires on Staal throughout most of the summer, according to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger and at least one Leafs front office source. The Leafs have made numerous trade proposals before the season began. But in recent days there has been absolutely no talks between the two teams.

When asked how serious to take the talk of Staal, a source close to the Leafs front office said: “Right now, not very.”

The key words, perhaps being, right now.

The Leafs have not had any trade discussions of any kind with Carolina since the season began.

Any talk of a Staal deal, while premature, coincides with another night in which Jake Gardiner was left out by the Leafs. The more Gardiner doesn’t play, the more you have to wonder how long before the Leafs explore a trade involving. He does have trade value.

A possible Leafs scenario would have them offering centre Nazem Kadri and Gardiner for Staal. Carolina would want a first round draft pick in any deal but Kadri, Gardiner and a first is likely too much for Staal, who has just two years remaining — this year and next year — on his Hurricanes contract.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
I have mixed emotions about this one... as much as I would love to see Staal in blue and white, that's a pretty hefty price to pay

People have mentioned the Kesler deal as a comparible but I think Staal would fetch a bit more than Kesler

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Leafs absolutely need to inquire on Staal. He'd be the best center since Seguin to be traded.

If the Canes make the choice to trade Staal off for futures, Staal with his NTC calls the shots for where he goes.

My biggest concern is Staal extending past next season. However, getting Staal is the type of move that could turn us into a contender very quickly. Something neither Gardiner or Kadri are going to do.

Kadri at his absolute best is Staal at his absolute worst. Kadri is also up for a new contract and I'm betting he'll be asking for at least 4.5 but wouldn't surprise if he wants something like 6 to buy up free agency years.

Gardiner has shown flashes of brilliance because it's easy to get mesmerized by his skating but his actual impact on the game has never been that high as the coaching staff clearly still doesn't trust his decision making in making the simple play. With Rielly, Phaneuf, Percy, Finn all lefties who can bring offence he's a very good trade chip.

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Staal I think would be a solid addition, but that asking price to me is too much for a guy who's 29 and has only 2 years remaining on his contract. Not to mention we'll likely have to continue to pay him the 8.5Mil he currently makes.

I would consider Gardner, Bozak and maybe a low end prospect.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If Leafs are truly looking to make a deal for a high cap hit player at any point this season they need to start accumulating all the cap space they can.

Hopefully we find a new home for one of Frattin, Ashton, Franson very soon.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
If Leafs are truly looking to make a deal for a cap hit player at any point this season they need to start accumulating all the cap space they can.

Hopefully we find a new home for one of Frattin, Ashton, Franson very soon.

Gardiner and Bozak = $8.25M total, same as Eric Staal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Hey guys,

According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, Eric Staal is apparently willing to waive his no-trade arrangement for a deal that would land him with the Maple Leafs. The Leafs have been kicking tires on Eric Staal throughout most of the summer, according to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger and at least one Leafs front office source. The Leafs have made numerous trade proposals before the season began. But in recent days there has been absolutely no talks between the two teams.

In my opinion, the Leafs would be better off trading Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, and a 1st round pick for a younger #1 centre instead of Eric Staal.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/14/rumours-swirl-about-staal-coming-to-toronto

I totally agree, to me, acquiring Eric Staal, surrendering significant assets, would be a huge mistake IMHO. I think it would set us back a few years once again! :nod:

I'd rather get a younger version of Staal, while giving up our young top prospects and 1st round picks!!! We need to STOP turning over youth for older vets! It hasn't worked out so well in the last 14 years ;)

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I would do Tyler Bozak + Jake Gardiner + 1st.

Eric Staal between JVR and Phil Kessel would be a thing of beauty. I think Staal could rejuvenate his career in Toronto. He'd be playing close to home, would shed those pesky expectations that come with being a captain, and would have the best linemates of his career. On the Toronto end of things we could use his size at the center position, face-off ability and experience most of all. Staal on his game is one of the best in the league. I think with a little change of scenery and some new motivation he could/would revert to form.

It would truly take us one step closer to being a real contender IMO.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Same old Leafs. Start throwing away young assets in an effort to get a 30-year-old player that is closer to the back nine of his career than his prime.

What exactly would be the point of getting Stall at this point in his career?

At their best the Leafs are a fringe playoff team this season. For argument's sake let's say a package of Kadri plus Rielly or Percy or Gardiner and draft picks lands them Stall.

Then what? They're still a fringe playoff team. The trade has done nothing to solve their biggest problem - goals against.

There is a similar type of player to Staal available in the draft this year, Dylan Strome.

Would hate to miss out on him due to trading away the first rounder.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gardiner and Bozak = $8.25M total, same as Eric Staal.

I'd only do this deal if we were one player away from being a Stanley Cup contender. I don't think Staal puts us over the top into solid contender status.

If we're going to give up youth, we still need to get youth back IMHO. At 30, Staal is getting up there, and, unless we contend immediately with him he'd likely be clearly on the downside in 3-5 years.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes Staal would be nice but keep in mind the Leafs are assuming ALL the risk.
Staal is 30 years old. He has lost a step but is still a 1st line center. He is not getting better. He makes 8.5 million and is a UFA in 2016.
Carolina is about 99% certain to replace Staal with McDavid/Eichel.
Plus they get Gardiner/Kadri (or both) to add to J. Staal and Lindholm.
They might also get a 1st from us which could be (even with Staal) anywhere between 8-16.
Carolina can't lose but the Leafs can get taken.
Be very very careful.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
One thing though..

It won't be Nazem Kadri + Jake Gardiner.

Eric Staal's value is not what it once was. He's coming off a very pedestrian 21G-61pt season, has been a minus player 3 of the last 4 seasons and his physicality has dropped off season-by-season as well. Furthermore, his defensive play and effort level has been called into question along with his ability to be a true leader.

What really makes all these question marks inexcusable is that he carries a very hefty cap hit of 8.25M for this year and next.

I personally believe he would definitely regain form on the Toronto Maple Leafs -- but that likely is not the consensus leaguewide. He's will after all, be 30 in 2 weeks and hasn't topped the ~70pt mark or played in the postseason for 6 seasons running.

Furthermore, Staal only outscored Kadri by 11pts last season. Kadri was playing his first full NHL season, Staal his 10th. Staal was fed #1 PP minutes and top ES minutes while Kadri was on the 2nd PP and 2nd line. The difference in age between them is like 7 years. There is no way the difference in value between Staal and Kadri is possibly Gardiner + a 1st. Kadri is one of our only homegrown talents with star potential. He is from the GTA. He loves playing for Toronto. He has immense chemistry with Joffrey Lupul and carries our 2nd line. He would be the perfect player to play behind Staal, not going the other way in a trade for him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yes Staal would be nice but keep in mind the Leafs are assuming ALL the risk.
Staal is 30 years old. He has lost a step but is still a 1st line center. He is not getting better. He makes 8.5 million and is a UFA in 2016.
Carolina is about 99% certain to replace Staal with McDavid/Eichel.
Plus they get Gardiner/Kadri (or both) to add to J. Staal and Lindholm.
They might also get a 1st from us which could be (even with Staal) anywhere between 8-16.
Carolina can't lose but the Leafs can get taken.
Be very very careful.

Exactly, unless we're getting some other youth back in the deal, we're getting hosed on the age side of the equation!

Staal's best days are behind him IMHO!

hockeyfanz*

Man.. People think we would need to offer Kadri + 2015 first + Rielly to get Ryan Johansen?

Wow that guy is overrated

Until he wears the Blue and White..then he becomes the best young centerman in the game...honestly have you even seen him play?

I am not making judgement on whether he is over rated or not..but I can honestly say I am not familiar with him.

I do know that he is a center...he is 6'3 and weighs in over 200lbs. I also know that in his first full NHL season he scored 4 less goals than Phil Kessel and he is only 22.

Over rated? Perhaps. But by who? And also is it really because of his jersey and the fact that the Leafs will most likely never get him?

Kyle Doobas*

I'm not sure how a Staal trade would work anyway. The Canes are presumably looking to ditch Staal's contract for cheap, young players, and we're more or less up against the cap. The only way a trade would work is if we sent back enough to offset Staal's cap hit, so I don't think Kadri + Gardiner even works logistically, nevermind being an overpayment. Bozak + Gardiner maybe, but even assuming Bozak's modified NTC wouldn't become an issue (or that Staal's NTC wouldn't be one in the first place), is that the best, most future-oriented offer Carolina is going to get? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad