McKenzie: Free agency to begin November 1, 2020

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No. It gets missed a lot but the NHL is a gate league. They need to sell tickets to make money. The tv money isn't enough. There is NO WAY that they are playing games with fans in the stands next fall. Both the NFL and the NCAA's football program is in jeopardy of not happening at all.

Starting the season on January 1 2021 gives them extra time to get healthy enough to sell tickets to their games. It allows them to plan for something they have a better chance of delivering. Playing games the first week of October would be unlikely at best right now if playing with fans was required.

Football can occur next year without fans because TV rights easily cover player salaries and operational expenses.

Hockey needs fan ticket sale to cover salaries. A team that sells 95% for all 41 home games breaks even wiry player salaries and operational costs.

By late December it might be ok for 50% arena capacity. Likely next season players take some sort of prorated salary based on arena capacity rules and games in a season.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Has anyone heard from NHL.TV about a discount or money back? I’m set on autopay right now, and it usually comes out in August or September, but I hope they don’t try to take the full amount.
I have the same question, but haven't found an answer yet. Not sure when they take the money via the auto-pay though. In my case, I think it might not be until October (iirc).

Does anybody have a telephone number for NHL.TV? They don't seem particularly easy to get in touch with.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Football can occur next year without fans because TV rights easily cover player salaries and operational expenses.

Hockey needs fan ticket sale to cover salaries. A team that sells 95% for all 41 home games breaks even wiry player salaries and operational costs.

By late December it might be ok for 50% arena capacity. Likely next season players take some sort of prorated salary based on arena capacity rules and games in a season.

Dr Fauci has been asked by congress about football and said its unlikely that they will be able to play even without fans.
EFriedman reports that the Cap will be flat for the next 2 seasons with a slight increase in the 3rd. At that time there will be a larger escrow.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
No way you can do a full 82 game schedule
Season would end in early July, playoffs and cup don’t end till labor day if not later.

A season going to mid April over 15 weeks could fo 50 or so games.
The league can't afford not to. It has been implied for quite some time that while the timing would change, the season would be played in full. It's delayed as they need fans in the seats to be successful. Many season ticket holders have already paid for a full slate and been told to expect a full season (limited breaks, not ASG, no week long break and longer on the back end).

I just noted Pierre LeBrun just tweeted this today as well (82 games expected). I'd plug the tweet but I'm not savvy enough.... :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad