Salary Cap: Free Agency Part VI | Pens updates, roster ideas, proposals here | Cap space: $7.3M

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
The intention of bringing in Whitney would be to play in the top-6 and push Dupuis into the bottom-6. Whitney still has some gas left in the tank and would be a solid option as a short term stopgap.

The point of bringing in Whitney would be to play in the top-6, because he still can pass as a top-6 LW. We could afford Whitney at like $2 million. Which of these 2 look nicer:

Whitney-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Dupuis
Comeau-Goc-Downie

Or

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Malone-Goc-Comeau

I don't mind the first one at all, but Whitney didn't look very good last year. I mean the guy is 42 and he really looked his age last season. I'm not so sure he could fit in the top 6.

The 2nd one isn't bad either, although I was hoping to see Dupuis on the 3rd line finally this year. I'm not totally against giving him another look with Crosby if need be though. Plus I like Downie on the third more than the 4th.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Old, slow, unproductive for years, and now drug issues to boot and Penguins fans want to bring him back. It's Kevin Stevens all over again.

Unproductive for a 4th liner? Disagree. He was being paid to be more than what he is at this point. I don't see the harm in giving him a shot.

But I guess guys don't deserve second chances.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No one is saying sign him to a one way deal or give him a lot of money. Some of us just aren't opposed to giving him a tryout. There's nothing to lose by doing that.

Heatley and Malone are very different players and people. I can picture Malone being serviceable as a 4th liner if he gets himself in shape. I just can't picture Heatley accepting that role or taking the money that role offers. Malone probably will have no choice but to take a tryout deal for dirt cheap.

They both have a lot of mileage and, imo, are done. Different players but they have that in common.

Sure, there's nothing to lose, but that still doesn't make it a good idea. Why would you give him a tryout, what about him makes it seem like he'd do anything with it or be good on the team? Say he makes the roster for whatever reason, he's old, slow and broken down. It's putting another rundown player on the 4th line and hoping it doesn't end badly.

You'd also risk bringing a guy fighting his own demons into a team they're trying to fix right now. TBH, who knows if it would be good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad