Post-Game Talk: Free Agency Part 2

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
One less contract year, so less money in the end. He would've lost at least close to 10 mil.

But wasn't he working on his last contract? If that's the case, it wouldn't have changed anything.

Sure.....he could have got that money from many teams.....

People should stop thinking every local player wants to play here because every medias keep asking them:
- Would you like to play here home?
It's a trick question, they can't say no.....they're force to say yes.....but it's not the truth.

Just like those people thinking PLD only wants to play here...IT IS NOT TRUE

All I ask is for ONE, bro. lol

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Message endorsed by current Habs management exec. Martin Lapointe, who as a player, used the Habs in order to get a better contract elsewhere.

Habs Special Advisor Cousin Vinny also says hi. As a UFA, he chose to sign with Philly on account of a coaching preference, prompted by another current Habs employee, Kent Hughes:

Philadelphia wasn’t one of the teams Lecavalier was interested in at first, but Hughes convinced him to meet with the Flyers because their head coach, Peter Laviolette, really wanted to meet him. The Flyers, Dallas Stars and Canadiens ended up being the last three teams on Lecavalier’s list and he picked Philadelphia because of Laviolette.

Of course, Hughes was just doing his job but it’s a tad ironic when looking back.

No worries, no need to sign with the Habs as a player when you can be admitted with open arms as a suit.

That's why I didn't want Briere here as the GM.

We're surrounded by traitors! 😁

...8 year deal could only be offered by Calgary...would you turn down an extra $10.5 mill??...:dunno:

No but we have no way to know what the Habs would have given him.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
But wasn't he working on his last contract? If that's the case, it wouldn't have changed anything.

This makes no sense.Whether he's working on his last contract or not, If he signs with Calgary, he's getting 8 years whereas he gets 7 years on the open market. It's guaranteed money, so yeah it makes a difference. At 10 mil per, that extra year counts for a lot. Plus, he gets it all in bonuses early.

Nobody was going to gobble that extra 10 mil spread over 7 years, bringing his cap hit to 12 mil.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion and 417

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
No but we have no way to know what the Habs would have given him.
...would/should we have given him $12 mill per??...that's basically what it would have take to make up for the extra $10.5 mill Calgary could offer him with that extra year...the answer here should be a RESOUNDING NO...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This makes no sense.Whether he's working on his last contract or not, If he signs with Calgary, he's getting 8 years whereas he gets 7 years on the open market. It's guaranteed money, so yeah it makes a difference. At 10 mil per, that extra year counts for a lot. Plus, he gets it all in bonuses early.

Nobody was going to gobble that extra 10 mil spread over 7 years, bringing his cap hit to 12 mil.

But if you go by that Calgary would have given that to him anyway, 10 per for 8 years is the base. Huberdeau go the table of other teams and he shows what the Flames are offering. Worst case scenario, he would have re-signed with them. No big deal. Anyways if he signed for 9.5 for 7 years and got to play with the Habs, it might have been worth the wait. He may the last french star that's gonna be for a long time.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Totally agree but in the end of the day, the Huberdeau extension is about Business and it's Bergevin type management.

Flames to me are middle of the pack or fringe top 10 team now. It's not likely a cup or multiple deep playoff runs. I think they are stuck on this road for the foreseeable future.

The point started with this... Imagine what they would have gotten with futures if they flipped Huberdeau at 50% retention in a season where contenders are desperate to add with limited cap space. Huberdeau at $2.95M is unreal value for one full season and the flames can take a contract back as well. Cup contenders would fight each other for this big time!
I think a Sutter team with a great defence and great goaltender, which Calgary have, is always a playoff threat. He’s shown us time and time again. I think they are darkhorses for a long Cup run.

Reactions: flames23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad