GDT: Free Agency III - Continues.....

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
We should trade for Dustin Brown, he brings intangibles and he'll protect the kids, and he's signed for a bargain long term. Seems like the type of player we'd love to have around here.

Yeah a 5.8 Million dollar cap hit is so awesome to have. Not to mention giving up assets to acquire him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think we could have signed a dude who did the exact same thing for a lot less term and dollars...

Phaneuf took a lot of runs at Tavares over the years and I never saw Martin make Dion accountable for it.

Id much rather us draft our own Martin type player because you can sign them cheaper usually to stay, but we don't have any in the system and people would flip out now if we drafted a player like him. We didn't overpay for Martin and he'll help this team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Martin is a great shot suppressor, the most physical player in the league, and a decent PK guy. He can do more than one thing. And those teams have had worse deals.

He's a decent possession guy, especially at suppression which is what you want from a guy on your fourth line.
Who knows? That's bad logic though. We know others wanted him, we don't know the reason we won out. And players get traded even though they got signed as UFAs from time to time.
Much worse players. Martin can do more than one thing.

Perhaps. But he is much cheaper, more in line with a high end fourth liner. Which is what he is.
Not necessarily in a fourth line. And Martin is decent at possession.

Yep, fighting doesn't matter in the playoffs. For sure. Totally agree.
Completely right.

I think his play looks a lot better playing with Cizikas and Clutterbuck (who are a luxury on the 4th line)

I don't know of any other 4th line guys who makes what Martin is going to make beyond Clarkson and Brown this year. Seriously. Maybe the other guys we have in Laich, Greening and Michalek?

If you want to use analytics to suggest shot blocking and suppression then you need to acknowledge it says he's a 4th line guy, nothing more (2nd or 3rd line guy...)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Russell's agent says the rumored 5x5 offer from VAN isn't true. VAN never made an offer.

Hopefully TOR being involved is false too

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m2 minutes ago
Pierre LeBrun Retweeted Allain Roy
Kris Russell's agentPierre LeBrun added,
Allain Roy @alroy42
Lots of false reports on Kris Russell signings floating around out there. Still talking to multiple teams. Some fake accounts=false info.

Calm down every one

Thank god. Sportsnet Calgary just said $5.5M over 5 as well.

Mad Brills*

do the leafs even have cap for russell?

Horton LTIR + RFA signings isn't cap compliant I think.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I did good?

yes :nod:

honestly for me. I don't know who this kid is.
at 27 - considering his skill set - it appears that we did decent.

thiis guy is really good defensively, he's a physical player, and can help on the PK: 3 things we needed.
i honestly don't understand the "Rome is Burning" here.

Lou is speaking at 4:30. so i think we're done anyway.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Okay let's spell it out

Do any of Chicago/Anaheim/Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay (class of the league imo) have 2.5M allocated to a guy who can literally do one thing (on the 4th line)? No

We play a puck possession game - Does Martin have any puck skills? No

Is he going to be tradeable later? Maybe. No one else wanted him at 2.5M for 4 years apparently because we managed to sign him.

Can you sign someone else who literally does this one thing (hitting) for less? Probably. Ryan White is available. Rinaldo was available for on waivers.

"But character, intangibles, and toughness" - These are ways you describe people who are bad at hockey - Clarkson, Bolland, Armstrong - This is the exact same type of addition, just a different name.

The main point is the original one- It's a stupid signing that has a lot of outdated thinking behind it. None of the best teams employ this type of player. It's about a speed, skilled and possession game.

Fighting doesn't matter in the playoffs, you might get one fight in the entire post-season. If you think you need need this type of guy to win in the playoffs, the Islanders have only won 1 entire post-season series (just recently) when John Tavares went legendary against Florida. This was despite having the *best* 4th line in the entire league.

If you think toughness is a detriment, tell that to Marc Savard - team of Lucic, Chara and Thornton and the dude got knocked out....

There. I spelled it out.

Relax Pointdexter ... Matt Martin will not be the reason we fail to win a cup next year.
Or the year after that or the year after that.

And yes, he is imminently tradeable at the deadline in the next year or three.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Relax Pointdexter ... Matt Martin will not be the reason we fail to win a cup next year.
Or the year after that or the year after that.

And yes, he is imminently tradeable at the deadline in the next year or three.

What other 4th line guy besides David Clarkson or Dustin Brown makes what Matt Martin will make?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Cor, I think you're okay man - now with the Martin signing, the Cowen buyout holding things up, and pending RFA signings, I don't believe we have the cap to do anything.

I'll probably throw my computer out the window if I see a Russell signing at 5x5 or more though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad