Speculation: Free Agency 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Don't know if this has been talked about but on Prime Time sports with Bob Mac they are currently talking about Stamkos is signing with Toronto. They have a plan in place to pay him 3-4 mill extra in various commercial opportunities. This would not count against the cap so they could essentially pay him a max deal plus 3mil more on top of that per season. Says lawyers have vetted it and it's all legal.

There would be quite a bit more revenue for the NHL ,if LEAFS made playoffs every year ..Might be something they let go ..lol
Heck of a difference charging $500 to $1500 a ticket in Toronto for playoffs,compared to say selling out in Tampa in the playoffs...

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That 8th season is what makes the brunt of the difference, not the taxes.

Using that 8th season is dishonest at best because every other team than TB would have to offer 1 mil more to start with to compensate for that 8th season.

For actual annual salary teams like Montreal and Toronto would have to pay him close to 11 million to compensate for the taxes, but at the end of the fiscal year, he'll make more money even still because of the endorsements. We don,t need to offer 11 mil per for him to make as much money here.

And this is not counting on tbe fact that Stamkos may still hold residency here and did pay Canadian taxes while playing in TB which would render the point moot.

Not to mention, getting paid in USD and every other local expense in CAD.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm saying TampaBay's cap hit on Stamkos (if he decided to stay)would be less than it would be for the Leafs to match for example..But yet every team US or Canada plays with 73 mill cap even with different tax differences in each jurisdiction.

Same way Nashville just locked up Forsberg at 6 mil per ...You think Habs are goona get Gally27 at a cap hit of just 6 million over 6 years??? Nope

Galchenyuk would still make more here because of endorsements. Very few people in Nashville know who Forsberg is. Half the province knows who Chucky is.

The anonimity of Nashville has its cons.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well, we pay him in USD. Habs tend to gain their "income" in CAD though.

I'm sure ticket, concession and merch prices are set to compensate for the dollar gap. How much is a cup of beer at the BC? $15?

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
:shakehead

I'll be back here on July 2nd and laugh at your face when you bash Bergevin for doing exactly what you wanted him to do.

Wouldn't waste a second of my time on him. We are NOT going to get him, no matter what your fantasies are, and even if we got him, Stamkos getting Kane/Toews money is ridiculous.

"WAH WAH WAH Pacioretty isn't physical, implicated in the play and a no-show in the playoffs"
"Let's give 10M to Stamkos!"

:laugh: What's sad is that most people on this thread don't have any idea about what Stamkos really is as a player as of 2016.
this whole post is a complete mess :shakehead

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm sure ticket, concession and merch prices are set to compensate for the dollar gap. How much is a cup of beer at the BC? $15?

That's on an "organizationnal" standpoint. That indeed helps the org. paying its litteral dues in USD.

Stamkos will purchase his house in CAD. Now, a house is probably the biggest investment a player will make during its playing career, unless he purchases a fledging business (which is a rare occurence anyways). Put him on a 11M USD yearly deal. That will amount to somewhere between 12M and 15M CAD/year. Thus, Stamkos has more free income after purchasing his house than he would if he signed in, say, Buffalo, unless the housing market there is completely crazy (and it probably isn't).

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Pls mods delete that tread, as it was suggested I put it in the trade proposal section

He meant in the trade proposal thread that's already on the Habs forum... not the main "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" page.

Honestly I'd just suggest you stop making threads until you understand this website, like you made 4 Price threads yesterday and I think 3 were closed.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
No, Nash has 0 Canadian teams on his short list. Same as last time.

He's a closet American :sarcasm:

Last edited:

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
lol....ya don't post here too often anymore....still come to the site a couple/few times a week to see whats going on.

Nice flashback. It's because of posters like you, McPhee and a few others that I got hooked to this place. Now I really want to leave but I can't help myself. Hopefully you post some more, this place needs poster like you.

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
He meant in the trade proposal thread that's already on the Habs forum... not the main "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" page.

Honestly I'd just suggest you stop making threads until you understand this website, like you made 4 Price threads yesterday and I think 3 were closed.[/QUOTE

I learn through my mistake. Its true some of my thread were closed after I asked the mod to do it.

One of the thread on Price was pretty good. They made an article about it in a very popular sports website in MTL. And it was my first thread. Thats not too bad

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm sure this is a very loose discussion at best, the Shaw trade pretty much means Weise's ship has sailed, unless he'd be willing to come in for 4th line money, which he won't.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
good news...?

No. A dalr Weise contract means less money for a real forward and less roster spots as well.

They probably didn't think they were overpaying for Shaw ,DD or Emelin. So what they think is not an overpayment is probably a cap anchor for this team. They have no idea how to properly evaluate players.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
That's on an "organizationnal" standpoint. That indeed helps the org. paying its litteral dues in USD.

Stamkos will purchase his house in CAD. Now, a house is probably the biggest investment a player will make during its playing career, unless he purchases a fledging business (which is a rare occurence anyways). Put him on a 11M USD yearly deal. That will amount to somewhere between 12M and 15M CAD/year. Thus, Stamkos has more free income after purchasing his house than he would if he signed in, say, Buffalo, unless the housing market there is completely crazy (and it probably isn't).

Considering the largest difference between teams in income taxes is around 14%, this would make SS pay roughly 10.8M$ more in taxes in MTL compared to TB. To make this gap worth while, the cost of living in MTL should be more than 10.8M$ (1.5M/yr) lower than in TB. Even though the housing market in Toronto or Vancouver is sky high, there is no way the cost of living is 1.5M/yr less in MTL.

If you factor in the USD/CAD situation, MTL has a 30% advantage in the cost of living versus US based teams.

If you take Buffalo, the difference in tax is around 580k instead of 1.5M per year (TB). This should be closer to the gains in cost of living / currency he would get in MTL.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Honestly I'd just suggest you stop making threads until you understand this website, like you made 4 Price threads yesterday and I think 3 were closed.[/QUOTE

I learn through my mistake. Its true some of my thread were closed after I asked the mod to do it.

One of the thread on Price was pretty good. They made an article about it in a very popular sports website in MTL. And it was my first thread. Thats not too bad

Don't worry about it man...it's an HF site, no lives will be lost here. Keep em coming ;)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Considering the largest difference between teams in income taxes is around 14%, this would make SS pay roughly 10.8M$ more in taxes in MTL compared to TB. To make this gap worth while, the cost of living in MTL should be more than 10.8M$ (1.5M/yr) lower than in TB. Even though the housing market in Toronto or Vancouver is sky high, there is no way the cost of living is 1.5M/yr less in MTL.

If you factor in the USD/CAD situation, MTL has a 30% advantage in the cost of living versus US based teams.

If you take Buffalo, the difference in tax is around 580k instead of 1.5M per year (TB). This should be closer to the gains in cost of living / currency he would get in MTL.

Still the endorsments he'd get in Montreal and Toronto would be the biggest difference maker in terms of total worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad