Blue Jays Discussion: free agency #2: Jays sign Cuban Gurriel Jr 7yr\22 mill, & Kendry Morales 3yr\33 mill)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Shouldnt the jays consider giving Carerra a full time spot in the outfield. outside of Donaldson he was arguably our most consistent hitter this post season.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario

I get what you're saying, I know Eaton isn't Mike Trout or anything close to it at the plate, but he's been consistently above average. A 117 wRC+ over a 3 year sample period is nothing to sneeze at though. He's still in the same class as guys like Brian Dozier and Albert Pujols and surprisingly Michael Saunders over that period. He's outperformed the likes of Anthony Rendon, Carlos Beltran, Kole Calhoun, Ian Kinsler, Dustin Pedroia, Mark Trumbo, and Charlie Blackmon. There's also platoon advantages that impact wRC+ to take into account. Guys like Justin Ruggiano and Franklin Gutierrez that have a higher wRC+ thanks to being put into a position to succeed. Also there are outlier seasons like Corey Dickerson's 140 wRC+ in 2014 that skew results too as well as small sample sizes like Andrew Toles last season. Point is that Eaton has been consistently above average for 3 years now. When combined with his defensive prowess in RF, he's a pretty elite player being able to contribute on both sides of the ball.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Shouldnt the jays consider giving Carerra a full time spot in the outfield. outside of Donaldson he was arguably our most consistent hitter this post season.

It's this same thinking that had people clamoring for the Jays to trade Tulo/Travis because of the way Goins ended the 2015 season.

Carrera has always been a depth OF. Last year, he did enough that he deserves a 4th OF spot somewhere, and that he likely wouldn't clear waivers to get stashed in Buffalo again. But he's still never done anything to suggest he's a starting OF.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Was Cecil really work 7.5 million per year?

On a 2-3 year deal, at the money RPs are looking at now, he's easily worth that. But 3 wasn't going to get it done with his market, so the Cards gave him the extra year. He should still be good value over the life of that contract, though it's more than most were willing to go term-wise, but dollars-wise he probably could have gotten $25M on a 3 year deal.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If Chicago isn't asking for the world for Eaton, he'd be nice to have.

Fowler LF
Eaton RF
Donaldson 3B
Encarnacion 1B
Morales DH
Tulowitzki SS
Martin C
Travis 2B
Pillar CF

But realistically Eaton will cost Stroman+ or Reid-Foley/Alford/Urena++ which I personally would not do.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
On a 2-3 year deal, at the money RPs are looking at now, he's easily worth that. But 3 wasn't going to get it done with his market, so the Cards gave him the extra year. He should still be good value over the life of that contract, though it's more than most were willing to go term-wise, but dollars-wise he probably could have gotten $25M on a 3 year deal.

Seems like a truckload of cash, but I guess that makes sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's something that makes me chuckle that Brett Cecil will make just 1.2M less in salary than Sidney Crosby.

1 is a fairly reliable relief pitcher, and the other is the best hockey player in the world.

Just kinda funny, and shows that the business side of sports is mighty interesting

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There's something that makes me chuckle that Brett Cecil will make just 1.2M less in salary than Sidney Crosby.

1 is a fairly reliable relief pitcher, and the other is the best hockey player in the world.

Just kinda funny, and shows that the business side of sports is mighty interesting

MLB no cap, obviously. Top players in MLB make more than double what top players in NHL make.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
MLB no cap, obviously. Top players in MLB make more than double what top players in NHL make.

MLB also makes 2.6x the NHL's revenue, so it would make sense that a top player in baseball would make 260% more than a top hockey player

ie, Toews makes $13.8....multiplied by 260%....and Kershaw makes $35m

voila!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

triple, actually.

and they should really get more, but mlb's cba (and collusion?) keep the player's share of revenues down near 40%.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
MLB also makes players play for pennies there first like 5 years in the league unless you are an absolute superstar ala Trout. They make up for by giving scrubs like Cashner 10 million a year when their 30.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Why exactly should they get more?

I believe NHL and NBA player unions have negotiated ~50% of the revenue for the players. MLB player share of revenue has fallen below 40% in recent years.

What does this mean? Well, it means that when the CBA is expires, we're either in for another lockout, or more likely, MLB salaries are going to spike...bigly.

edit: Oh, and NFL players get about 48% as well.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I believe NHL and NBA player unions have negotiated ~50% of the revenue for the players. MLB player share of revenue has fallen below 40% in recent years.

What does this mean? Well, it means that when the CBA is expires, we're either in for another lockout, or more likely, MLB salaries are going to spike...bigly.

The CBA expires in about a week.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the mets remain optimistic a deal can be struck that will return yoenis cespedes to their lineup in 2017, but market forces are threatening to thwart that reunion.

within the industry, there is a growing sense the star outfielder will command a five-year deal, which would leave the mets facing a major decision on their immediate future.

As it stands, the mets are likely committed to signing the 31-year-old if a four-year contract in the $100 million-to-$110 million neighborhood can be hammered out, according to an industry source, but there is less clarity on the matter when an additional year — which could push the value of a deal beyond $130 million — is considered.

cespedes has been linked to the giants, dodgers and nationals, with speculation mounting that the yankees could become a factor before the winter meetings conclude outside washington, dc, on dec. 8. A source told the post last week that four teams, including the mets, were showing legitimate interest in cespedes.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

MLB also makes 2.6x the NHL's revenue, so it would make sense that a top player in baseball would make 260% more than a top hockey player

ie, Toews makes $13.8....multiplied by 260%....and Kershaw makes $35m

voila!

triple, actually.

and they should really get more, but mlb's cba (and collusion?) keep the player's share of revenues down near 40%.

Like I said, mighty interesting.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Not a fan of trading the farm for corner OF's even one as good as Eaton.

Jon Jay on a short term deal makes way more sense.

Huh? John Jay and Adam Eaton aren't even comparable. Eaton is a 6 WAR outfielder with pop, and a mighty consistent 115 wRC+ hitter and plus defender at 27. Jon Jay is 31, had a 57 wRC+ in 2015 and had a whopping .371 BABIP last season. He's clearly going to regress back to replacement level. He's not even as valuable as Zeke Carrera for goodness sake

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

edit: Oh, and NFL players get about 48% as well.

Yet, it doesn't explain why they deserve more. They are all grossly over paid, period. And only in sports is it supposedly logical that it's an equal split between owners and employees.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Huh? John Jay and Adam Eaton aren't even comparable. Eaton is a 6 WAR outfielder with pop, and a mighty consistent 115 wRC+ hitter and plus defender at 27. Jon Jay is 31, had a 57 wRC+ in 2015 and had a whopping .371 BABIP last season. He's clearly going to regress back to replacement level. He's not even as valuable as Zeke Carrera for goodness sake

I've never been a fan of Jon Jay, but this is a horribly inaccurate assessment. He's been roughly a league average player (not just overall, but in each individual component: offense, defense and baserunning) every year except 2015.

That .371 isn't even that much higher than his .340 career BABIP, and you think he should be expected to to regress back to the .246 BABIP from 2015? The only time in his career he's ever been below .325?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

I don't think that poster was comparing the two as players. But more comparing the cost to bring those players in.

Is what the Jays would have to give up to get Eaton worth it? How about Jay? That's the discussion that's relevant here.

The team might be better off signing a guy for free short and long term than trading away a mitt full of assets to get Eaton for instance.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Yet, it doesn't explain why they deserve more. They are all grossly over paid, period. And only in sports is it supposedly logical that it's an equal split between owners and employees.

I never understood the 'pro athletes are overpaid' notion. Its entertainment in a private industry, they get a percentage of what they bring in. Why should the owners get more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad