Prospect Info: Frederik Tiffels (Left wing | Western Michigan (NCHC) | 6th round, 167th overall)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
CIhc5gPWcAAnWFg.png

tiffels.jpg

Strengths/Weaknesses

Speed is the number one asset that Tiffels brings to the game. He's incredibly difficult to handle in one-on-one situations because of he has the ability to vary his speed, making it difficult for the defenseman to gap him, before hitting an extra gear and blowing by a defenseman. He has good hands and is able to make plays with the puck even at top speed. His vision and playmaking ability is a strong asset as well.

Tiffels is listed at 6'1" 200 lbs., but doesn't play that big yet. He could still become more physically mature and harder to knock off the puck. He uses his speed to attack on the perimeter well, but could improve at using his speed to attack interior lanes to get into high-quality scoring areas. In the past, a lack of finishing ability has been a problem for him on the offensive end, but he showed improvement in that area this past season.

The best comparison to Tiffels would be New York Rangers forward Carl Hagelin. Both players are smaller, but have elite speed that they use to put pressure on the opposing defense and create offense, and play a responsible two-way game. Hagelin and Tiffels even had very similar statistics in their first NCAA season. That gives a good idea of Tiffels' upside. A reliable second or third line wing that hits double digits in goals consistently and is a nice piece on a good team.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...raft-profile-frederik-tiffels-scouting-report

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's funny how we were all complaining about not having enough representation at the WJCs and here we ended up having more than we knew.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
It's funny how we were all complaining about not having enough representation at the WJCs and here we ended up having more than we knew.

haha, yeah. Too bad it was before we drafted them :P

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Pens announcers should have enough practice with german names now.
How about the next step:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11844

He is a very solid hockey player too. Only need to ask Dallas Fans who saw him with Benn during lockout. Its a mystery for me why he never got the chance to play NHL. Maybe poor scouting in Germany.

Last edited:

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Grabbing a Hagelin like player in the 6th would be great (Carl was a 6th rounder I believe.) Does anyone know enough about him to say what his weaknesses are or have a projection for him hitting WBS?

Speed is great, I just hope he can finish as well.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hagelin was picked 168th overall, or 1 spot after Tiffels, FWIW. Of course Hagelin was only entering college when he was picked (drafted out of Sweden juniors), not a year in, but it seems like the comparisons hold some water.

Now hopefully he develops like Hagelin did.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Was Hagelin projected to have good finishing ability?

I know he's a little older, but if he can develop to something close to Hagelin I'll be incredibly excited

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Had comparable 1st years in College, hopefully Tiffels develops similarly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oh man, landing a player that turns out to be similar to Hagelin would be huge for this organization, regardless of whether he was drafted in round 6 or round 1 or 2.

Hope he can maximize his potential thanks to his speed better than the last prospect the Pens chose who had speed to burn (Marcantuoni).

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Based on what you've seen of his play?

I mean he obviously plays in the US so I cant really watch him play that often but I've watched him play in the wjc 3 times. He obviously is one of the better german players, but in my opinion he is like an average player. He doesnt have this special thing that would blow you away. He may become an all around solid player if everything works out perfectly so I would love to see him in our bottom 6 some years from now, but in my opinion its unlikely to happen. Then again I shouldnt judge him on like 15 WJC games, so I may underrate him. I mean its not easy to play on the german team in such a tournament...

Well he went to the US "early" so its not like I can go and watch him play every week. I can however put the numbers he had in Germany into perspective and he played on the best under 18 team here after he left Cologne and put up solid numbers. He played u18 as a 16 yo. Sole based on the points you may could compare him to Kühnhackl. People like Rieder who made it however scored a lot more. Then again Rieder isnt the type of player Tiffels is. Tiffels could play a good bottom 6 role with his body

EDIT: And it shouldnt sound like I wouldnt like him or wouldnt want him on the Pens, I really do, I just felt like comparing him to players like Hagelin may be a bit too much

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Sexton called his speed only "slightly above average". How does that fit in with the scouting reports in this thread?

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I mean he obviously plays in the US so I cant really watch him play that often but I've watched him play in the wjc 3 times. He obviously is one of the better german players, but in my opinion he is like an average player. He doesnt have this special thing that would blow you away. He may become an all around solid player if everything works out perfectly so I would love to see him in our bottom 6 some years from now, but in my opinion its unlikely to happen. Then again I shouldnt judge him on like 15 WJC games, so I may underrate him. I mean its not easy to play on the german team in such a tournament...

Well he went to the US "early" so its not like I can go and watch him play every week. I can however put the numbers he had in Germany into perspective and he played on the best under 18 team here after he left Cologne and put up solid numbers. He played u18 as a 16 yo. Sole based on the points you may could compare him to Kühnhackl. People like Rieder who made it however scored a lot more. Then again Rieder isnt the type of player Tiffels is. Tiffels could play a good bottom 6 role with his body

EDIT: And it shouldnt sound like I wouldnt like him or wouldnt want him on the Pens, I really do, I just felt like comparing him to players like Hagelin may be a bit too much

You've seen him a lot more than any of us have so it's good to get some perspective! I saw the Hagelin comparison and wanted to know more about him as I think Carl is a dangerous player. It's a long shot for sure that he ends up hitting that mark. Thanks for the insight.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
You've seen him a lot more than any of us have so it's good to get some perspective! I saw the Hagelin comparison and wanted to know more about him as I think Carl is a dangerous player. It's a long shot for sure that he ends up hitting that mark. Thanks for the insight.

I mean in the end he is like any other late round pick. There is a reason that he didnt get draftet the first time. He produced during the wjc, however he played on a line with draisaitl. This year he was like the star player and still managed to produce, so he showed a big improvement this year. He can make it if he continues to improve like this every year and if he lifes up to his potential in every aspect of the game he could be a solid bottom 6 forward. Sadly most of the players dont get to this point so I could imagine that it would be very hard for him to make the line up. But as we all know, from time to time it happens with this late round picks and I hope he will make it :)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I wouldn't write Marcantuoni off just yet, he had a solid year as a role player in WBS.

Those who write off Macaroni do so at their own peril. He's biding his time... waiting... probing for weaknesses. And then one day... he's going to score NHL goals with blinding speed.

macaroni-and-cheese.jpg

Also if Tiffels ends up being anywhere close to Hagelin good, I'll be real happy with that result. That guy is the type who improves your team's skill depth and versatility.

hage

Mar 9, 2011
Here's a short German interview with Tiffels:

http://www.hockeyweb.de/nhl/erst-mal-weiter-in-der-college-liga-78963

Google translate manages to preserve the gist of it :)

Congratulations Draft by Pittsburgh. Are you happy?

Thank-You. Of course I am happy!

How did you hear about it? Did you follow the Draft?

I was in the car when my advisor called me and told me that the Pittsburgh Penguins have drafted me. A short time later, someone has reported of the Penguins with me. The draft I have only partially followed.

Was there before the Draft Contact NHL teams? Especially to Pittsburgh?

During the season, I had contact with a few teams. Among these teams was Pittsburgh.

As pleasest you it was Pittsburgh?

I like it great. Pittsburgh has brilliant player and has always achieved in the past, the play-offs.

So, what does the plan? Next College or it goes into the Pengiuns organization?

I'll go in two weeks for Development Camp. Then I'll come back to Western Michigan University and will continue here have summer training. I will continue playing this season definitely college hockey. I must still improve in many things before I get the chance to play in Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad