Frederik Gauthier

Status
Not open for further replies.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
I haven't been watching him in junior this year, but his stats are less than exciting. I realize he's a "shut-down" centre, which is great, and his size is certainly a benefit, but from watching the juniors, I'm particularly worried about:

a) his speed - I don't know if he's just having some bad shifts in this tourney or what, but his foot speed is terrible
b) no grit to his game. I realize that the world juniors often highlight skill and leave a lot of the grit out of the game overall, but still... I've seen some monster hits and some rough stuff after the whistle by Canada and the other teams and absolutely nothing that shows me this kid has any heart.

Am I overreacting to a small sample size here? He reminds me of a less offensively talented Joe Colborne when I see him play. Appreciate thoughts from anyone who watches him play a considerable amount.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I haven't been watching him in junior this year, but his stats are less than exciting. I realize he's a "shut-down" centre, which is great, and his size is certainly a benefit, but from watching the juniors, I'm particularly worried about:

a) his speed - I don't know if he's just having some bad shifts in this tourney or what, but his foot speed is terrible
b) no grit to his game. I realize that the world juniors often highlight skill and leave a lot of the grit out of the game overall, but still... I've seen some monster hits and some rough stuff after the whistle by Canada and the other teams and absolutely nothing that shows me this kid has any heart.

Am I overreacting to a small sample size here? He reminds me of a less offensively talented Joe Colborne when I see him play. Appreciate thoughts from anyone who watches him play a considerable amount.

I know we're the worst franchise ever to have patience, but he'll get there.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
His foot speed isn't terrible at all IMO.

He's a pretty decent skater for a man his size, but his acceleration could use some work, still it's not below average for his size.

I agree though that I'd like to see more bite out of him, that could make him far more versatile and less predictable.

Work in progress, I like the prospect and he fills and area of need moving forward. I compare him to Stuart Percy of our Forwards.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He is pegged as a 3rd line center who kills penalties, and that's who he was when we drafted him with our first round pick.

He has elite defense but the offense hasn't been coming...hopefully he can develop his offensive side a bit

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I really like Gauthiers game in his own end. Having a prospect that good defensively at 19 is rare.

His skating is fine, lots of room for improvement though. He lumbers a bit still growing into his body, but some strength and work in that area should make it good given how long his stride is

Effort level has been there hes not afraid to play the body and work down low.

The offensive flash isn't there, maybe won't ever be but I don't get the disappointment some have with him. Our current roster is full of guys with good offensive skills and piss poor defensive IQ and effort. Why is it such a bad thing that we have a guy who is the complete opposite?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
he's been invisible this tourny and shouldn't be on the team but like all Leaf prospects all they need is a little bit of time and they'll all turn into star players

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
His foot speed isn't terrible at all IMO.

He's a pretty decent skater for a man his size, but his acceleration could use some work, still it's not below average for his size.

I agree though that I'd like to see more bite out of him, that could make him far more versatile and less predictable.

Work in progress, I like the prospect and he fills and area of need moving forward. I compare him to Stuart Percy of our Forwards.

I think you're largely right about the footspeed... it's more his acceleration. He just seems to get lost in plays quite quickly because he doesn't keep up when the play changes directions

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He's played 15 games this year. What exactly was anyone expecting in those games from a 2nd line center whose own linemates aren't great offensively?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
If all goes absolutely perfect with him, he'll make the NHL as a 3C who can play hard defensive minutes/PK and probably top out at 30 points max.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
I really like Gauthiers game in his own end. Having a prospect that good defensively at 19 is rare.

His skating is fine, lots of room for improvement though. He lumbers a bit still growing into his body, but some strength and work in that area should make it good given how long his stride is

Effort level has been there hes not afraid to play the body and work down low.

The offensive flash isn't there, maybe won't ever be but I don't get the disappointment some have with him. Our current roster is full of guys with good offensive skills and piss poor defensive IQ and effort. Why is it such a bad thing that we have a guy who is the complete opposite?

I think you get me wrong - I'm not dying for offensive skills (although I would like to see some progression in the stat line when you're third-year Q player). I'm scared that his lack of physicality and acceleration are leaps behind where I would hope to see it. I'm down for an elite shut-down centre... but physicality and speed are two areas I think you need to excel at (along with defensive IQ) to be a good defensive player in the NHL. Just hasn't developed as much as I thought.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I think you get me wrong - I'm not dying for offensive skills (although I would like to see some progression in the stat line when you're third-year Q player). I'm scared that his lack of physicality and acceleration are leaps behind where I would hope to see it. I'm down for an elite shut-down centre... but physicality and speed are two areas I think you need to excel at (along with defensive IQ) to be a good defensive player in the NHL. Just hasn't developed as much as I thought.

Sean Couturier

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
he's been invisible this tourny and shouldn't be on the team but like all Leaf prospects all they need is a little bit of time and they'll all turn into star players

He hasn't been invisible at all. The Ritchie-Gauthier-Crouse line has been excellent in the medal round, solid in their end and hemming other teams in.

Are you suggesting that two years of Elite jr hockey evaluators got it wrong putting Gauthier on the team and making him a primary Pk and faceoff Guy?

I haven't seen a single person in this or any other thread say he will be a star. Truth of the matter is there are very few stars in the league taken outside of the lottery.

Gauthier has the makings of a solid pro, if not a spectacular one. Not a Homerun pick but definitely not a bust so far

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
Completely disagree with the statement that he shouldn't be on the team. What you see him do for this Canadian team is what you will see him do for the Leafs. Win draws, 75% for the tourney I believe, kill penalties, block shots, top notch board play and cycling and a great mind for the game. Definitely a player you win with.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He hasn't been invisible at all. The Ritchie-Gauthier-Crouse line has been excellent in the medal round, solid in their end and hemming other teams in.

Are you suggesting that two years of Elite jr hockey evaluators got it wrong putting Gauthier on the team and making him a primary Pk and faceoff Guy?

I haven't seen a single person in this or any other thread say he will be a star. Truth of the matter is there are very few stars in the league taken outside of the lottery.

Gauthier has the makings of a solid pro, if not a spectacular one. Not a Homerun pick but definitely not a bust so far

I have no idea what games you've been watching but Gauthier has done nothing at the WJC .

If you struggle to score in jr the chances of you putting up points at the NHL level are slim and if he can't be at least a 25 plus point player in the NHL it means he'll be at best a 4th liner .

The kids development has flat lined since he was drafted and that's a bad sign for prospects and usually means they won;t make the NHL .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
lol. Because I was comparing him? No, i wasn't. I was showing a player with "lack of physicality and acceleration" who has become a very valuable member of a team

so you are comparing them

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He was a +17 Corsi last night and him and Ritchie had the best CF% on the team last night (both were 87% which is pretty dominant)

Looks like he's driving play which is nice

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I had a hard time getting excited the day he was drafted and that hasn't changed at all. I would be all right with his lack of offence if he was a gritty get in your face player. I see 4th line center written all over him. But watching this team play defence...maybe a defensive forward who actually back checks and can clear his own zone while winnning a few face offs is as valuable as a 30 goal scorer.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I didn't think he was a good pick the day he was picked, and don't think so now.

I could see him making the NHL, but won't be of significant impact.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
I've been happy with his recent games for Canada. He's cycling the puck very well and even threw a big hit in the closing stages of last night's game. And the defence has always been there. Hoping for his best game tonight

LeafsFIO*

I'm not saying his foot speed is good or anything, but these are some of the fastest games you'll see all year. The QMJHL is very fast too and he keeps up there. The NHL is going to be a slower pace than the World Juniors. He's a strong skater for someone who's 6'6, let him fully fill out his frame in the AHL the next year or two and then freak out.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why are people dumping on this guy?

When he was drafted, he was labelled as a strong defensive center with size - someone who wasn't going to be an impact player, but a reliable bottom 6 forward. That's exactly what he was projected to be, and nothing has changed; he's done a good job for Canada.

This isn't a player who was projected to be a #1 center, and has fallen off. He is what he is, and he can be a useful piece to this team in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad