Line Combos: Franson - Fraser

Mapleleafs Fan*

IMHO I felt the need to create this thread. Fraser and Franson both are struggling really bad and it's causing us games. Franson on PK sucks, as a result we have dropped to 10th in PK now.

Franson - Fraser together can make a decent 3rd or 2nd pairing and Gardiner can get some PK experience.

What do you think guys? Should this pair be made again or they are better the way they are now? I am also tiered of seeing different lines each night and each period. Should Rielly be scratched this often? Should he be given some quality time at AHL?

So many questions and many different opinions to be given. I am curious to hear what you guys have to say about this.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
AHL isn't an option for Rielly due to age's restriction (19+ I believe?). Either staying in the big league or going to junior.

Asif16*

I agree. Reunite the Fra-Fra line.

LEt ranger sit in the pressbox

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If we bring back Franson + Fraser then we have to play either Rielly or Ranger on the 2nd pairing where they would look out of place. Ranger is playing like a decent bottom pairing defenseman, and Rielly and Gardiner could be too much of a good thing. I think the best pairings we could match right now are

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Fraser
Ranger

Asif16*

2 pylons on one line, woohoo!

If you watched any of last season, you would know that they did not play like pylons when they were together. Which brings up the question as to why they're not playing together right now. They complimented each other well

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If you watched any of last season, you would know that they did not play like pylons when they were together. Which brings up the question as to why they're not playing together right now. They complimented each other well

They played fine as a sheltered third pairing, looked horrible when they became the 2nd pairing. Gardiner - Ranger isn't a strong enough top 4 pairing to give Franson and Fraser sheltered minutes.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Seemed to be some who thought Franson should be first pairing because he had good offense last year. IIRC some were saying Ranger would be 1st. pairing!

Wanting something doesn't make it true.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yea great bottom pairing. Trade Gardiner for a rh defensive dman to play with Rielly and role with

Gunnerson-Phaneuf
Rielly - right handed dman
Fraser-franson

7th man ranger
Ranger has been playing a much better game than both Franson and Fraser. He seemed even more effective than Gardiner or even Gunnarsson. Our D core is actually pretty effective, and I think it needs to be re-balanced. We need to pair our D/TWD with PMDs.

Mapleleafs Fan*

IMO Ranger has been excellent in last 3 games. He is showing excellent improvement and till January he will be ready for a consistent 2nd pairing D. Ranger on PK has been more successful than Franson. Fraser has been bad relatively. He seems to bash the bodies around and not paying attention to passes.

Would you like to give Gardiner some PK time as well? For me Gardiner is still a raw talent use it as much as you like while we are already loosing. We can make our own diamond rather than searching for one.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I really don't get the Ranger hate. He's progressed and is playing better than Franson and Fraser yet people zone in on a mistake or a stupid penalty he takes all the while Franson can pass the puck to the opposition so he has an easy tap in and people are still ragging on Ranger for sucking.

The problem is that we have too many solid bottom pairings and no clear 2nd pairing.

Rielly with Franson isn't working. Rielly makes Franson look like the rookie on that pairing. Or maybe it's Franson making Rielly look like the vet. Either way, it doesn't work.

Maybe try Rielly with Fraser and Gardiner with Ranger or switch Rielly and Gardiner's spots. It doesn't hurt to experiment at this point. Franson needs to take a breather in the pressbox.

Mapleleafs Fan*

I really don't get the Ranger hate. He's progressed and is playing better than Franson and Fraser yet people zone in on a mistake or a stupid penalty he takes all the while Franson can pass the puck to the opposition so he has an easy tap in and people are still ragging on Ranger for sucking.

The problem is that we have too many solid bottom pairings and no clear 2nd pairing.

Rielly with Franson isn't working. Rielly makes Franson look like the rookie on that pairing. Or maybe it's Franson making Rielly look like the vet. Either way, it doesn't work.

Maybe try Rielly with Fraser and Gardiner with Ranger or switch Rielly and Gardiner's spots. It doesn't hurt to experiment at this point. Franson needs to take a breather in the pressbox.

Rielly and Ranger will be a nice pairing. They won't be as bad as they looked at the start of the season where Ranger was coming back from a long break and Rielly coming from juniors. Ranger has shown some quality at defense in last 3 games and will only improve and so will Rielly. R-R, F-F, P-G. Trade Gardiner in a package for a strong center prospect. Something like Strome can be had for good return.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
while ranger has some good games, i'd rather see him in botttom pairing if he's playing at all.

fraser and franson were playing amazing last year. but fraser has a crack in his head and that's probably playing with his head. since he's come back, it's not only timing but poor decision making. he holds on to the puck when he should clear it and his passes are awful.

gunnarson his picked up his game, blocking more shots, playing better position and covering the boards, but he's still extremely slow. we need someone faster on first line.

i'd rather have macwilliams than fraser in right now. so we could go:

phaneuf gunnerson
gardiner franson
ranger reilly.

an interesting pairing might be
franson phaneuf
gunnarson gardiner
reilly macwilliam/percy

i don't remember too many short handed shots when franson and phaneuf were playing the point this year, and when franson gardiner were playing together last year, franson normally sat back.

having 2 rookies on last pairing may not be a good idea, but reilly has star i.q. and percy might be ready. macwilliams seems to be quicker than fraser as well.

i'd want reilly in, so that during pp, he could play the point with phaneuf.

McLovin*

The thing is, if we play Franson on the third pairing with Fraser, in the off season we're gonna have a tough time trying to decide if he's worth top 4 money or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad