Franson and Kostka: Where do they fit?

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
What has become evident in head coach Randy Carlyle’s 24 games as the Maple Leafs bench boss is his penchant for roles and line matching. Each player, no matter their position, contractual status or skill, is given a role that they must fill. These roles, while encompassing certain universal traits, expected of all players – a hard forecheck, first-to-the-puck mentality – are clear and well defined.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1222-franson-and-kostka-where-do-they-fit

franson.jpg

contour

Mar 31, 2011
I see Kostka as a serviceable 2nd or 3rd pairing. Carlyle is turning Kostka into a Beauchemin right now, which I don't mind too much. I still think Gunnarsson should go back with Phaneuf.

Once Gardiner comes back, it's clear Kostka should be off the PP unit.

As for Franson, I like him. He can wow you some nights, and on some other nights, not be as impressive. What I feel though, is that Franson will be the odd man out when it comes to the trade deadline and that he will be huge trade bait (either in a package or draft picks in return).

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I absolutely love Franson's game. He's physical, has a great shot that always manages to get through, and he has a long reach to poke pucks loose.

I think he's finally coming around to be the player I hoped he would be when we first acquired him. I think Wilson mismanaged him (along with several other players) and he's seeing the success he's capable of under Carlyle. You can visibly see how much happier of a person he is under the new coaching staff, and I think that is translating in his game.

Kostka I think is a pretty solid player, but we're relying on him too much and giving him minutes that will eventually break him down significantly because he simply isn't used to them. I also think we've seen almost zero success with him on the powerplay, though I wouldn't blame that solely on him. Either way, I'd like to see a lot less of him on the PP. I think Liles and/or Franson (and soon Gardiner) are better options. Give the kid a chance to catch his breath.

I like the guy but as the season goes on, with the minutes he has been getting (NHL minutes that he obviously hasn't seen before) I think it will wear him down. I'm worried that his performance will decrease as a result.

Overall, I think he's been pretty decent for us, but I don't see the same things in him that Carlyle sees.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
I also like Franson..........Kostka needs to go back once Gardiner comes back. Just wish they had someone to screen the front of the net. Maybe the new guy they claimed off waivers would help with that. McLaren.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
i dont see much wrong with Kostka's game really beyond not being very good on the PP. In his own zone he's pretty solid, and has played well with Phaneuf on the whole.

Franson needs a full NHL year, where he can get better, he's not going to get better watching people from the press box, he needs to get better on the ice, and has looked quality in the offensive zone.

In short, Franson Phaneuf on the PP with Liles and Kostka on the 2nd unit. I can't think of any reason why Kostka needs to be on 1st line pp duty when he's more suited to play with Kadri on the 2nd unit anyways.

Kessley Snipes*

Kostka... no where.

to be honest he isn't terrible. Actually would be a very serviceable number 5/6

Ideally our D this season should look like:

Phaneuf/Gunnar
Liles/Franson
Gardiner/Kostka(Komisarek)

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
to be honest he isn't terrible. Actually would be a very serviceable number 5/6

Ideally our D this season should look like:

Phaneuf/Gunnar
Liles/Franson
Gardiner/Kostka(Komisarek)

Maybe as a 7. I'd rather have Komo play with Gardiner there....

Franson fits where Kostka doesn't, and that is on the powerplay.

Not with Phaneuf - Koskta's footspeed is ****ing terrible but a Phaneuf/Franson could be a disaster albeit they're both solid dmen.

Ideally:

Gardiner/Liles-Phaneuf
Gardiner/Liles-Franson

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Maybe as a 7. I'd rather have Komo play with Gardiner there....

Not with Phaneuf - Koskta's footspeed is ****ing terrible but a Phaneuf/Franson could be a disaster albeit they're both solid dmen.

Ideally:

Gardiner/Liles-Phaneuf
Gardiner/Liles-Franson

Carlyle is making our powerplay look very bad. Your pairing ideas are ones I agree with, all I am saying is Kostka is NOT a powerplay defenseman by any means, he just doesn't have the shot or the vision or speed for it. I think Gunnar should get some power play time as well. He seems to mesh well with the Frattin- Kadri connection.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think Franson is playing better and better and is growing on Carlyle....he will not be in the press box ....I like Franson's game.....I think we keep him and we will move Liles at some point this year.

Kostka I not sure about him yet....he has only played 7 NHL games thus far....I will wait another 7-10 games to make a decision on him.

Last edited:

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Kostka and gunnarsson should be no higher than bottom pairing. Franson is solid, he can play a good 15-20 minutes a night with liles.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I've liked Franson's game. He's never been known for his great defensive game, and he shows that. His offensive game however, right now is the best on our blueline. He makes a great first pass, can skate the puck up the ice, (a little slow but he gets it there) and can hit the net with a good hard and low shot with consistency (take note Phaneuf)

When we're healthy I see our blueline like this:
Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Komi

Kostka/Fraser for fill ins.

There's always injuries, so having Kosta and Fraser there for depth is solid enough IMO.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
Franson on 2nd pairing with liles and 2nd pp....... Kostka on the top pairing and first pp........ ON THE MARLIES!!!!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Kostka fits on this team. He's a #6/7 guy who's playing over his head every night. I hate watching him on the PP because of his lack of creativity and weak, high shot. Luckily for him, he can rely on Phaneuf to cover up for his weaknesses and also uses him as an outlet almost every time he has the puck. I'm not a fan of his game.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I don't think Kostka fits on this team. He's a #6/7 guy who's playing over his head every night. I hate watching him on the PP because of his lack of creativity and weak, high shot. Luckily for him, he can rely on Phaneuf to cover up for his weaknesses and also uses him as an outlet almost every time he has the puck. I'm not a fan of his game.

Are watching the same games as I am? Kostka actually is pretty poised out there on the PP, he doesn't panic and that was Carlyle sees in him. His shot isn't bad and he's not afraid to sneak in to the slot for a shot. I'm not saying he's the answer but he isn't the reason the PP stinks. For starters Phaneuf needs to hit the net once a year. As for Franson, he has all the tools he just need to be consistent and more physical.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Are watching the same games as I am? Kostka actually is pretty poised out there on the PP, he doesn't panic and that was Carlyle sees in him. His shot isn't bad and he's not afraid to sneak in to the slot for a shot. I'm not saying he's the answer but he isn't the reason the PP stinks. For starters Phaneuf needs to hit the net once a year.

He doesn't panic, but his decision making isn't quick enough. It's a step slower then everyone else on the first unit. He just doesn't have the offensive creativity that Franson, Liles or Gardiner have.

Agreed with Phaneuf having to hit the damn net though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kostka (auto correct for this is mistakes lol) is great, 4 pts sweet pass, he is the kind of guy any team could use, could fetch a first easy, just look at him, what a beauty! Beauchemin trade 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad