Player Discussion Frank Vatrano II

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Why can't that be Vatrano?

He can play both wings and play both on a scoring line or a 4th line.

For a spare winger on a playoff run, I'd rather have a guy who can be inserted in multiple places, than another guy to "fill a role".

i suppose it "could" be vatrano based on what you said...but my feeling is cassidy doesn't trust him,
he's been passed on the depth chart by younger guys, and has enough value where they can move
him for a better fit for the playoff run without dealing a draft pick. we'll see.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i suppose it "could" be vatrano based on what you said...but my feeling is cassidy doesn't trust him,
he's been passed on the depth chart by younger guys, and has enough value where they can move
him for a better fit for the playoff run without dealing a draft pick. we'll see.

I don't think Cassidy trusts him a whole lot either, which is an issue.

For the right depth player sure, but I hope they don't flip him for another Scaller or Kuraly type UFA.

I'd rather see them deal the pick to be honest to bring in depth at the deadline. If I'm Sweeney, picks are my main currency this year, this team has many picks coming up, and a stocked prospect pool.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'd rather see them deal the pick to be honest to bring in depth at the deadline. If I'm Sweeney, picks are my main currency this year, this team has many picks coming up, and a stocked prospect pool.

see, i'd rather move bodies now and make those picks. it spreads out the timeline for your prospects, and we've
seen that they are capable of utilizing those picks quite well.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
see, i'd rather move bodies now and make those picks. it spreads out the timeline for your prospects, and we've
seen that they are capable of utilizing those picks quite well.

The thing for me when moving picks vs. young players is I see the Bruins in a window here this year and next before the top young guys need new deals. Injuries can happen as we've seen. Frank Vatrano gives the Bruins a better chance at winning this year than a 4th-5th rounder in 2019 will in the event of injuries to regular players. If I'm Sweeney I'd try to maximize my depth in this window as much as possible within the confines of the salary cap.

Look at Joe Morrow last year. Was a healthy scratch for months on end, but by mid-April, Krug, Carlo and McQuaid were out injured. Even O'Gara down in Providence was hurt at the time. Next thing they know they are inserting Tommy Cross into a playoff game. Had they moved Morrow at the deadline for a late round pick, who would of been in next?

Now if some team stepped up and offered the Bruins a 2nd rounder for Vatrano, then bye bye Frankie, but I see that as unlikely. Or if he was part of a package to bring in a 1-2 year rental like a Nash or Zuccarello, I'd be open to that as well. But for a late round pick? I'd just as soon keep him for this year and if need be, move him for a late round pick prior to the draft.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I will echo the unpopular stance that to be successful Frankie V needs to be up in Marchand's spot.

(in protected starts obviously)

He needs two guys who can find him when he's open and cover for him even if in both cases he's out of position.

I have not watched any of his work in Providence but most of his goals in Boston were because he wasn't covered

... I believe that's because who is this kid and what is he doing there?

Crap!

I probably would have tried that.,his talents need to be exploited by offensive talents to see if he can do it at this level. 4th line duty,minutes will only keep him down.

Reactions: Salem13

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The thing for me when moving picks vs. young players is I see the Bruins in a window here this year and next before the top young guys need new deals. Injuries can happen as we've seen. Frank Vatrano gives the Bruins a better chance at winning this year than a 4th-5th rounder in 2019 will in the event of injuries to regular players. If I'm Sweeney I'd try to maximize my depth in this window as much as possible within the confines of the salary cap.

Look at Joe Morrow last year. Was a healthy scratch for months on end, but by mid-April, Krug, Carlo and McQuaid were out injured. Even O'Gara down in Providence was hurt at the time. Next thing they know they are inserting Tommy Cross into a playoff game. Had they moved Morrow at the deadline for a late round pick, who would of been in next?

Now if some team stepped up and offered the Bruins a 2nd rounder for Vatrano, then bye bye Frankie, but I see that as unlikely. Or if he was part of a package to bring in a 1-2 year rental like a Nash or Zuccarello, I'd be open to that as well. But for a late round pick? I'd just as soon keep him for this year and if need be, move him for a late round pick prior to the draft.

yeah, i'm not suggesting to deal vatrano for a 5th and then do nothing. basically, move vatrano for a rental or for a pick that
you subsequently flip for a rental - a guy who fits whatever sweeney is looking for. my point about trading bodies over picks
was to extend your timeline and lessen the glut...i'd rather move vatrano for a rental than moving our 3rd or 4th round pick,
since we know they can find players in the draft.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
Frankie was finding open space in front of the net well last night. Looked pretty confident overall actually. I trust someone is working with him every day to make the positioning more instinctive, right? Because there are enough tools there. More than enough.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Frankie was finding open space in front of the net well last night. Looked pretty confident overall actually. I trust someone is working with him every day to make the positioning more instinctive, right? Because there are enough tools there. More than enough.
Wow,he got less than 7 minutes of ice time,had 3 shots and fanned on one point blank from 4 feet out. I thought he showed very little,one in front battle,but that wouldn't be where he'd be successful. I see a frustrated,flailing player getting very little opportunity.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He is just not that good. He certainly tries hard. I just don’t think this team would miss him at all.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
It's time to cut bait on this guy. Simply waive him if there's no teams dumb enough to trade for him.
If he wasn't from Mass, we wouldn't have him in the first place. Seriously, this guy has had way too many chance and is simply not good.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It's time to cut bait on this guy. Simply waive him if there's no teams dumb enough to trade for him.
If he wasn't from Mass, we wouldn't have him in the first place. Seriously, this guy has had way too many chance and is simply not good.

I see people say this stuff, but who is replacing him as the extra forward? Why just give him away when he's filling a need right now. He's a depth forward on this team who plays sparingly. Lose him for nothing, you still need to replace him with someone in the AHL. So if you don't get anything for him, you're better off just keeping him,

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
He is just not that good. He certainly tries hard. I just don’t think this team would miss him at all.
I disagree , I believe in Vatrano, I might be one of the few out here who still does? You cannot teach his shot/release, he is one of our fastest skaters and one of our only forwards who finishes his checks. His confidence is shot and obviously cassidy doesnt like his game or just doesnt trust him. If we trade/release Vatrano I would not be surprised to see him score an average of atleast 20 goals a year and would not surprise me if he scored alot more, he doesnt have the pedigree that wheeler or seguin had ''top 4 picks'' but I feel Vatrano on another team would come back to bite us. Time will tell..

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I don't think Vatrano will 'come back to bite us' but I do think he has value. My big concern with him that developed over the past two seasons was that, at this stage in his career, he is a one trick pony with his shot. He is far from a 200 foot player that the Bruins preach they want, and rightfully so. I wonder if his goal per game AHL status actually brought him to the NHL too soon, before he devloped other aspects of his game, and now making him an incomplete player. He has skill, scored in his first game against Montreal, OT winner in Detroit, hat trick in Pittsburgh. But I also remember his man scoring after he didn't backcheck on more than one occasion. But the B's didn't have the depth that they have this year, so he still got to play. Now, with depth, until he rounds out his game, he isn't making the cut. And by not playing, his confidence is shot. He's still a kid and that shot will get him claimed on waivers. So I keep him on the roster the rest of they year, and if there is no room foreseen, then include him in a deal for another asset.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I disagree , I believe in Vatrano, I might be one of the few out here who still does? You cannot teach his shot/release, he is one of our fastest skaters and one of our only forwards who finishes his checks. His confidence is shot and obviously cassidy doesnt like his game or just doesnt trust him. If we trade/release Vatrano I would not be surprised to see him score an average of atleast 20 goals a year and would not surprise me if he scored alot more, he doesnt have the pedigree that wheeler or seguin had ''top 4 picks'' but I feel Vatrano on another team would come back to bite us. Time will tell..

The kid hasn’t taken a step forward since he first came into the NHL. He came in had a few great games and people hold onto that as a litmus of what he can do. He got lucky, had one streak, players learned his only skill and that is all she wrote.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I'm with you. In the right situation, he's going to flourish

Reactions: Beantowns Best

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
The kid hasn’t taken a step forward since he first came into the NHL. He came in had a few great games and people hold onto that as a litmus of what he can do. He got lucky, had one streak, players learned his only skill and that is all she wrote.
He also has 36 goals in 36 games at providence, I honestly dont believe that was a fluke or just a few great games.Last time I posted about about a player that I really thought would not be good was Lashoff, I got killed on here for even suggesting he wouldnt be good in the NHL. I feel opposite about Vatrano. Lets see if i can go 2 for 2, or maybe I will have to eat some crow.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
His speed makes him a better depth forward than Beleskey at this point in time, but that's about it.

Not that I don't wish him well but we have so much talent at the wings that there isn't much of a need to keep him around after this year.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I don't think his chance to shine will come in Boston. I definitely think the kid will atleast be a solid 3rd line player maybe more. His confidence is shot here and he won't be given the rope to get it back since we have so many kids that have passed him on the depth chart. I think much like Subban injuries put him in a spot where the Bruins can't really find a spot in the lineup for him, and he can't be sent back down to the AHL without passing through waivers, but aren't that far off from being solid NHL players.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
He was one of those players I was excited about at first and now I ask "he's still on the team?" sad he never panned out but sometimes things just dont happen. I would keep him unless you use him as a throw in for a better player in a trade.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Vatrano is what a RW/C on this teams 3rd line? I would keep him there but the team must have someone in the AHL who is ready and can produce more than he has. JKF, Bjork, Cehlarik, Blidh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad