Frank St. Marseille

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Frank St. Marseille

One of my favourite stories from the first expansion was the “arrival” of Frank St. Marseille. For four seasons he had toiled in the IHL – the last three with the Port Huron Flags. During the 1966-67 season – which would be his last in the IHL – St. Marseille was putting up big numbers: finishing with 41 goals and 77 assists for 118 points in 72 games. That same season – in a game in Toledo – he had Lynn Patrick and Sid Salomon in the audience, thanks to a letter Frank's older brother Frederic had written to Patrick. St. Marseille was invited to attend the St. Louis Blues' training camp in the Fall of 1967.

At that training camp, Frank immediately “clicked” with Gary Sabourin and Terry Crisp, but – nonetheless – the entire trio was sent to the Kansas City Blues of the CPHL to begin the season. After 11 games there – where St. Marseille had 7 goals and 8 assists – that trio was brought back to St. Louis. Scotty Bowman said that trio was better than the third line which had begun the season. Frank, Gary and Terry formed the Blues' new third line, and – besides being very effective in a checking role – put up 38 goals. St. Marseille finished his first NHL season – playing 57 games – with 16 goals, the same amount of assists, and 32 points. In 18 playoff games, he had 5 goals, 8 assists and 13 points. Dickie Moore – with 14 points – was the only Blue to have more.

Frank ended up playing ten seasons in the NHL: parts of six seasons in St. Louis, and parts of four seasons in Los Angeles.

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
EpMrDJqXEAIfOhh
Picture of Frank with the Kings with Rogie Vachon (30), Captain Terry Harper (2) and Leafs forward Norm Ullman (9)

Attachments

• frank.jpg
    frank.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 2

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Weird. I was thinking about starting a thread on the 74-75 Kings yesterday evening, so I was reading a bit about Frank. No disrespect intended, but he's the second highest scoring Los Angeles King from Onaping Falls/Levack, Ont (population 2042). Without looking, anyone know who number one is?

Reactions: Davenport

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Weird. I was thinking about starting a thread on the 74-75 Kings yesterday evening, so I was reading a bit about Frank. No disrespect intended, but he's the second highest scoring Los Angeles King from Onaping Falls/Levack, Ont (population 2042). Without looking, anyone know who number one is?
That Kings team - from 1974-75 - is probably my favourite edition of that team. It's amazing how much Los Angeles improved defensively over the course of three seasons.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011

I know very little about Ontario's geography. I searched the internet.
Onaping Falls - Wikipedia
It doesn't mention Frank. It does, however, mention several other NHLers.
Maybe the wikipedia article needs to list his name? (I cannot tell. I don't know the geography.)

Regarding 1975 LAK, you are very welcome to write in this thread.
Why did 1975 LAK have such low GA?

Reactions: The Pale King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad