Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
credits

CqV5_PuWcAIuYya.jpg:large

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Almost get a lot of radiohead remniscent chaos on some tracks. But it works really good. Like a controlled mess essentially.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Did everyone know that he was releasing both Boys Don't Cry and Blonde? I knew he was supposed to drop an album for forever and it kept not dropping. It seemed like everyone thought Boys Don't Cry was it but then the next day Blonde drops (going to listen to it today). Did Blonde come out of nowhere?

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009
Did everyone know that he was releasing both Boys Don't Cry and Blonde? I knew he was supposed to drop an album for forever and it kept not dropping. It seemed like everyone thought Boys Don't Cry was it but then the next day Blonde drops (going to listen to it today). Did Blonde come out of nowhere?

Blonde is Boys Don't Cry. He just changed the name.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Ahhhhhhhhh okay gotcha. But so did people know both were coming at the same time? Or was the reaction that the visual album thing was what everyone was waiting so long for and then the next day it was like "whoa we get something else too?"

No one was expecting two albums. We all thought for sure that the music playing on his stream was just a teaser to his actual album, but nope.

Major props to Frank for providing us with this great musical experience.

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009
Ahhhhhhhhh okay gotcha. But so did people know both were coming at the same time? Or was the reaction that the visual album thing was what everyone was waiting so long for and then the next day it was like "whoa we get something else too?"

There was confusion at first but when Endless came out Rolling Stone put out an article confirming that Endless wasn't Boys Don't Cry and that BDC would be released under a new name over the weekend, which ended up being Blonde.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
No one was expecting two albums. We all thought for sure that the music playing on his stream was just a teaser to his actual album, but nope.

Major props to Frank for providing us with this great musical experience.

There was confusion at first but when Endless came out Rolling Stone put out an article confirming that Endless wasn't Boys Don't Cry and that BDC would be released under a new name over the weekend, which ended up being Blonde.

Ahhhhhhh okay, gotcha. Listened to Blond, really enjoyed it. I need to listen to it again though.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'll have to check this out. I haven't really listened to Ocean but all my friends are either raving or hating on it so worth a listen to find out for myself I guess. Just remember his performance at the Oscars a few years ago where he sang some wack song about Forrest Gump and it was all kinds of terrible.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Listened to about half the album and turned it off. Huge Frank Ocean fan, but this is a bit too.....somber? for me. They were all sounding kinda the same, no catchy parts/choruses. Blah. I want to like it, but just find it ultra boring.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Listened to about half the album and turned it off. Huge Frank Ocean fan, but this is a bit too.....somber? for me. They were all sounding kinda the same, no catchy parts/choruses. Blah. I want to like it, but just find it ultra boring.

This post makes no sense. How can you be a "huge" Frank Ocean fan and not like it to the point where you can't even finish the album? The album is very Frank Ocean.. it's not like he completely changed his sound up. Not only that, but you judge the album after having listened to only half of it?

Last edited:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
This post makes no sense. How can you be a "huge" Frank Ocean fan and not like it to the point where you can't even finish the album? The album is very Frank Ocean.. it's not like he completely changed his sound up. Not only that, but you judge the album after having listened to only half of it?
You're right, I forgot this is the first album Frank has ever released, how could I possibly be a huge fan!? This album is different from Channel Orange or Nostalgia Ultra. I'm allowed to have my opinion on what I've listened to so far and I'll finish it eventually when I'm not so down on it.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
My early favorites are Rushes To, Nikes, Self Control, and Siegfried. To the above poster, I think if you're having trouble getting into the album Rushes To on Endless is a nice starting point. Some really pretty chord changes with killer production.

There's definitely some interesting choices on this album. My first and only listen through I questioned if the chording on Ivy was satirical. But there's also a lot of symmetry and Nikes is a stunning track to start on.

Frank also references Elliot Smith, who was known for weird chord changes and abrasive first-listens (I love Elliot Smith's music).

I'm going to need more time to judge it but I'm really happy. Definitely a worthy and distinct follow up to Channel Orange.

P.S. Boy's Don't Cry is the name of Frank's 268 page magazine that had the album inside it and was given away in a few cities. It is also the name of his record label that he created. The rumor right now it that Endless was released under Def Jam because he was still contractually obligated to one more project but Blonde was under Boy's Don't Cry.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
I've listened a lot to Nikes, Futura Free and Godspeed. Ivy and Self Control are up there too. Will probably find something new when I've listened to it a few more times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad