Frank Gallaghers Final Rankings 2018

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Great read! Thanks for all the deets.
I like that you ranked Serron Noel so high (13) compared to other sources, but...
not sure why McBain is ranked so low (#54), especially when some NHL teams have him in the first round...I saw that he also did very well at the Combine

Serron Noel has such a high skill level and so much more potential that he just kept on moving up for me. He does things that make you say Wow.

For McBain I see him as a guy who has relied on size and athleticism a lot to do as well as he has. I don't think he's a high end shooter or passer and I really am not a fan of his skating. Crash and banger to me and at the end of the day guys ahead of him just do a bit more for me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Top 31 no reports in first post.

Sorry for the long post and any typos. My final ranking and scouting reports for the draft. Reports on all my top 31 and guys that interest me for one reason or another afterwards. All players ranked are my draftable guys. NOT TRYING TO PREDICT DRAFT ORDER. Appreciate all feedback and discussion. ...

Congrats on your thorough and well written reports.

For those of us not familiar with your posting history, would it be possible to provide us with your background and your methods -- how did you mine your data, how many hours, did you do this in person or only via video, did you consult anyone in the scouting community, etc.

Thanks in advance and once again, job well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Disagree with some of your bold rankings, but your write up is actually better than most scouting agency out there, solid job :thumbu:

As previous poster, curious to know how much viewing you have done.

Last edited:

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Nice stuff, but question: is Addison's defense really that bad? I thought he was better in his own end than other RHDs like Woo and Merkley.
Addison's defence is definitely better than Merkleys. Woo is very solid defensively, better positionally and with instincts on top of being a lot stronger physically.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Congrats on your thorough and well written reports.

For those of us not familiar with your posting history, would it be possible to provide us with your background and your methods -- how did you mine your data, how many hours, did you do this in person or only via video, did you consult anyone in the scouting community, etc.

Thanks in advance and once again, job well done.
Thanks, will try to explain my process a bit.

I'm a university student, who finished playing this past year and coaches youth hockey now. Was with a WHL organization, not good enough to make it and decided I'd rather start my life with school than waste a couple years in Jr A. Have been interested in the draft my whole life and always loved trying to figure out who was gonna be a steal, which was a lot easier when small scorers were so devalued.

For what I value I would say the first thing I'm really looking for are guys that think the game well and have creativity. If you aren't outthinking players in junior or able to make high skill plays at that level you don't have much of a chance to succeed. Creativity is a lot more important for forwards but still something I look for in D, don't want guys that are one read players on the breakout. I place a lot of value on guys that are elite skaters as that translates anywhere and the NHL is going in a more fast pace forechecking and transition style in my opinion. I view it as a major positive when guys are dominating despite being physically underdeveloped as that is some of the easiest room for growth with any player, whereas bigger stronger guys have that advantage in juniors which they won't have in the NHL and have less growth potential there. I also see a lot of value in guys playing in less well scouted leagues which are definitely undervalued. I also avoid making judgements of players attitude, or leadership abilities since I'm not around them to know such things. I think size is a bonus in some cases but not a make or break thing at all, I'm looking for talent and that often comes in unique packages.

Unfortunately I am only able to watch games online. Basically whenever I had free time I was watching games, have minimum of 4 viewings on everyone I have ranked with a lot more than that on most of them. Wish I had some contacts in the scouting community but I'm all on my own with my observations other than reading the work of scouts that is publicly available, with HP probably my favourite and Pronman a guy who I like even though I disagree with both of them on a ton of stuff.

End of the day doing this was for fun and a great experience. Really liked digging in to players games and trying to understand why they are good and how they project, many times this made me realize who I was overvaluing and undervaluing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Disagree with some of your bold rankings, but your write up is actually better than most scouting agency out there, solid job :thumbu:

As previous poster, curious to know how much viewing you have done.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Ya I'm sure that other people are going to see different things in players and value different traits, I think those questions are good and having to defend my reasoning on where I rank guys is good too.

See the post above for a bit more info on my viewings and what I'm looking for.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Thanks for the list. Really enjoyed very thoughtful writeups, and especially appreciated your followup explaining your scouting philosophy. I think you managed to relay your views to the reader with great clarity, which is not a common trait. I am a fan.

:wave:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
not going to touch on your Tkachuk ranking, but Smith and Farabee where you have them are absolute head scratchers for me.

you obviously are going more swing and miss here, which is cool, its your list, but way too many players that have a bit more flash are ranked higher over guys who are more likely to make it...Smith and Farabee are about two of the smartest players in this draft, and easily on par skill wise with most names ahead of them...just confused why they would be lower than guys like Noel and Tychonik who neither belong anywhere ahead of those two..

I think you are pretty far off on most of your USHL players, all are ranked lower than should...not sure if you don't really pay attention to the USHL or what, but that group is a bit of a mess...Miller at 16 is pretty crazy, I read your write up, some I agree with some I don't...His IQ has been poor, his positioning just ok, I know he is learning the position just not sure of that upside anymore. M Samuelsson is better overall IMO, and I do see the potential for Miller, just not at 16.

I like Bokk, but at 9??? ballsy.

the name that will continue to haunt people is Jay O'Brien - you seem to be ranking many other players with massive upsides higher, but somehow leave this kid mid second round when all accounts are GMs are drooling over this kid as a first round pick...he does it all, no real weakness outside of playing Prep hockey.

interesting list, I don't agree with much but that is the beauty of this...thank you for the effort and read.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
the name that will continue to haunt people is Jay O'Brien - you seem to be ranking many other players with massive upsides higher, but somehow leave this kid mid second round when all accounts are GMs are drooling over this kid as a first round pick...he does it all, no real weakness outside of playing prep hockey...

A little off topic, but relating to O'Brien. How does a guy like O'Brien get all this hype and then 3 years ago guy named Keith Lambert : Keith Lambert at eliteprospects.com , put up 109 points in 22 GP @ 17 and eligible for the '15 draft and didn't even get a ranked by anyone ...

He obviously wasn't talented enough as he is currently in the ACHA, but it's crazy to put up those kinds of stats and not get noticed.

Reactions: Dux917

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Love the Tychonick ranking, thought I personally had him a bit high at 16
Same with Johansson, I never really see much talk about him. I don’t have him first round but I’m really high on him (2nd round) nice write ups as well. I’m posting my final top 150 ranking+mock draft soon as well and don’t know if I should include write ups (have write ups for pretty much everyone on the list, missing about 20 or so)

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Like others, I much appreciate the time and effort that was needed to produce this excellent report. Also giving us input as to what you value in developing this is also very helpful. Overall, a great effort. I wish you success in refining your process and look forward to next year’s report :)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A little off topic, but relating to O'Brien. How does a guy like O'Brien get all this hype and then 3 years ago guy named Keith Lambert : Keith Lambert at eliteprospects.com , put up 109 points in 22 GP @ 17 and eligible for the '15 draft and didn't even get a ranked by anyone ...

He obviously wasn't talented enough as he is currently in the ACHA, but it's crazy to put up those kinds of stats and not get noticed.
I don't know of Harvey Prep, where Lambert scored his 109 points, but I do know that here in MN USHS that there are drastic differences in the level of competition between conferences. In some, a top player will take every third shift and score about 40 points....the exact player playing in a weaker conference might play every second shift, and score twice that.

There can also be drastic differences between private schools in terms of their hockey prowess. Shattuck (arguably the best HS in the US for hockey)would probably beat Hill Murray( one of the best privates in MN) 7 times out of 10, but Minnehaha Academy would probably be beaten 9 times out of 10 by HM, and wouldn't get a game of off of Shattuck. A star player on Minnehaha wouldn't make the Shattuck team, and wouldn't play much at HM. However, that same player would be going against weak competition day in, day out, and could easily rack up points against some of the competition THEY play.

Bottom line is that context matters.

Last edited:

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Thanks for the list. Really enjoyed very thoughtful writeups, and especially appreciated your followup explaining your scouting philosophy. I think you managed to relay your views to the reader with great clarity, which is not a common trait. I am a fan.

:wave:
Thank you, definitely tried to be specific about the reasons I like guys and what I see in their games. Glad you enjoyed it!

Reactions: Runner77

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
not going to touch on your Tkachuk ranking, but Smith and Farabee where you have them are absolute head scratchers for me.

you obviously are going more swing and miss here, which is cool, its your list, but way too many players that have a bit more flash are ranked higher over guys who are more likely to make it...Smith and Farabee are about two of the smartest players in this draft, and easily on par skill wise with most names ahead of them...just confused why they would be lower than guys like Noel and Tychonik who neither belong anywhere ahead of those two..

I think you are pretty far off on most of your USHL players, all are ranked lower than should...not sure if you don't really pay attention to the USHL or what, but that group is a bit of a mess...Miller at 16 is pretty crazy, I read your write up, some I agree with some I don't...His IQ has been poor, his positioning just ok, I know he is learning the position just not sure of that upside anymore. M Samuelsson is better overall IMO, and I do see the potential for Miller, just not at 16.

I like Bokk, but at 9??? ballsy.

the name that will continue to haunt people is Jay O'Brien - you seem to be ranking many other players with massive upsides higher, but somehow leave this kid mid second round when all accounts are GMs are drooling over this kid as a first round pick...he does it all, no real weakness outside of playing Prep hockey.

interesting list, I don't agree with much but that is the beauty of this...thank you for the effort and read.
Glad you enjoyed the read, will try and explain on some of your questions.

Smith and Farabee both suffer with me for different reasons. With Smith I just don't see the elite in zone offensive game and creativity to be an elite offensive guy in the NHL. Now that would be fine if I thought he was as good defensively as many here think he is, but I cannot agree with that. Defensively he gives up inside positioning too often and was really exposed in this regard at the u18s. His skating is absolutely elite and he's excellent in transition, though he does opt to skate it a bit too much which makes sense given his skating advantage in junior but is going to be less effective as he moves up a level. Being 17th is no slight, just reasons I like guys above him better. Comparing directly to Tychonick I think Smith is not as smart or as skilled of a guy with the puck, I see Tychonick making creative plays and consistently outthinking players in ways I only occasionally saw from Smith. I would give Smith an edge in skating but defensively Tychonick has better instincts and has shown a much better stick and ability to force turnovers.

Farabee is a guy who I just don't see major upside with. He's a great quick decision maker and processes the play very fast, his brain is an A+ asset. When it comes to actually creating and not just making the right read however I don't think he's as special, as a skater he's above average but certainly not putting guys on their heels often. His puck handling ability is once again good, but not approaching great. His shot has a lot of room for growth, but thats not a massive problem as a view him as more of a playmaker, however I didn't see nearly enough truly special passes from him for me to think he's gonna be some major playmaker in the NHL, again being 19th is no slight to him and I still really like him. Noel is significantly more raw but his skating and hands combination is absolutely insane. Noel is a complete outlier in some of the stuff he can do on the ice and climbed my rankings all year as he's just too talented not to take a chance on, I don't see that kind of special in Farabee.

I paid plenty of attention to the USHL guys but I think a lot of them had numbers better than their talent level. Drury I really wanted to like more but he succeeds because he's so above average at everything in Junior, he moves up a level and he's not fast or skilled enough to be an offensive producer, limited upside I think. McLaughlin is a noticeably slow skater and I think he benefited a ton from playing with Dugan who I absolutely love. He does see the ice extremely well so he could surprise if his skating improves a ton. Ranta, elite tools and no brain. Madden and Steeves are guys I do like but both are late 99s and have a long ways to go. Only USHL guy I love compared to consensus is St. Ivany who I'm convinced is gonna be an NHLer.

Miller vs Samuelsson is not even a question for me. Miller is noticeably in a completely different tier of prospect, there is not one element of the game I think Samuelson is better at other than throwing a puck out of the glass. Defensively I will admit Miller is more prone to a big mistake, while Samuelson rather makes a bunch of little ones all game. There are numbers that back this up as well if you subscribe to The Athletic. I think Millers IQ is only average but I love a lot of his instinctual things like his gap control and some of the plays he makes off the rush.

Bokk at 9 I think I explain in my write up. Elite puck handling and creativity and so much growth potential that there's not many guys beneath him I even had to legitimately debate having above him, big fan of his potential.

O'brien has no clear weakness sure, but no real clear strengths at the next level either. More of a guy thats pretty good at everything, all the guys above him I simply see more in. And again 48 is definitely not ridiculously low on him, I still am a fan.

Hope this helps clarify a couple things, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Reactions: Runner77 and Dux917

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Love the Tychonick ranking, thought I personally had him a bit high at 16
Same with Johansson, I never really see much talk about him. I don’t have him first round but I’m really high on him (2nd round) nice write ups as well. I’m posting my final top 150 ranking+mock draft soon as well and don’t know if I should include write ups (have write ups for pretty much everyone on the list, missing about 20 or so)
Ya Tychonick is a guy that I loved every single time I saw him, always showing reasons I should be moving him up. Johansson is an interesting one as he had bad production but is an excellent player. I am convinced he's still gonna be a second rounder because to me its so clear how smart and solid all around he is when you watch. Good luck with that, definitely looking forward to it as I've enjoyed your lists all year.

Reactions: Runner77 and Lays

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Like others, I much appreciate the time and effort that was needed to produce this excellent report. Also giving us input as to what you value in developing this is also very helpful. Overall, a great effort. I wish you success in refining your process and look forward to next year’s report :)
Thanks really appreciate all the responses from everyone. Hopefully can learn how to add some video clips for next year since it would really help in showing some of what I am talking about, but looking forward to attempting this again

Reactions: meefer

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Excellent job !

Like you I'm higher on Dobson then most people. I think he will translate very well to nhl and will be able to log huge mins since he can play in multiples situations. He reminds me of Seth Jones. I also like Kravtsov at 12. To me he is very close to be a top 10 talents and I feel he is ranked too low in most draft boards.

Noel I don't really see it. The way the game is shifting in the nhl I don't think he will be skills enough to play on the top 2 lines. He also ran very hot this year with with close to 27% shot success.

Tkachuk I agree with you that he is overrated a bit but to me 14 is a bit off a stretch. Like you I don't think the upside is that high but is floor is very high. He will play in nhl 100% and he could play on any line first to 4th. He is fast enough that he will be able to play with skills players and make them some space. I think at worse he will be a very physical player like Tom Wilson. In 4-5 years, I see him as one of the most physical player in the league. You need guys like that to win in the playoff.

Kupari is now almost 6ft2 and close to 19o. Most gm are talking about speed speed speed. I feel with Kupari speed + hands and size. A team will take a chance sooner with him.

Hayton I dont see the upside to me he is a late first rounder. (I'm on the same page with you)

Finally, one guy I think is one of the most underrated is Filip Hallander. At the same age he has similar numbers then Filip Forsberg, Pastrnak, nylander etc. I just love is playmaking ability he make pass few players are able to see and he has a sneaky good wrister.

Cant wait for the draft. Absolutely enjoy reading your prediction.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Glad you enjoyed the read, will try and explain on some of your questions.

Smith and Farabee both suffer with me for different reasons. With Smith I just don't see the elite in zone offensive game and creativity to be an elite offensive guy in the NHL. Now that would be fine if I thought he was as good defensively as many here think he is, but I cannot agree with that. Defensively he gives up inside positioning too often and was really exposed in this regard at the u18s. His skating is absolutely elite and he's excellent in transition, though he does opt to skate it a bit too much which makes sense given his skating advantage in junior but is going to be less effective as he moves up a level. Being 17th is no slight, just reasons I like guys above him better. Comparing directly to Tychonick I think Smith is not as smart or as skilled of a guy with the puck, I see Tychonick making creative plays and consistently outthinking players in ways I only occasionally saw from Smith. I would give Smith an edge in skating but defensively Tychonick has better instincts and has shown a much better stick and ability to force turnovers.

Farabee is a guy who I just don't see major upside with. He's a great quick decision maker and processes the play very fast, his brain is an A+ asset. When it comes to actually creating and not just making the right read however I don't think he's as special, as a skater he's above average but certainly not putting guys on their heels often. His puck handling ability is once again good, but not approaching great. His shot has a lot of room for growth, but thats not a massive problem as a view him as more of a playmaker, however I didn't see nearly enough truly special passes from him for me to think he's gonna be some major playmaker in the NHL, again being 19th is no slight to him and I still really like him. Noel is significantly more raw but his skating and hands combination is absolutely insane. Noel is a complete outlier in some of the stuff he can do on the ice and climbed my rankings all year as he's just too talented not to take a chance on, I don't see that kind of special in Farabee.

I paid plenty of attention to the USHL guys but I think a lot of them had numbers better than their talent level. Drury I really wanted to like more but he succeeds because he's so above average at everything in Junior, he moves up a level and he's not fast or skilled enough to be an offensive producer, limited upside I think. McLaughlin is a noticeably slow skater and I think he benefited a ton from playing with Dugan who I absolutely love. He does see the ice extremely well so he could surprise if his skating improves a ton. Ranta, elite tools and no brain. Madden and Steeves are guys I do like but both are late 99s and have a long ways to go. Only USHL guy I love compared to consensus is St. Ivany who I'm convinced is gonna be an NHLer.

Miller vs Samuelsson is not even a question for me. Miller is noticeably in a completely different tier of prospect, there is not one element of the game I think Samuelson is better at other than throwing a puck out of the glass. Defensively I will admit Miller is more prone to a big mistake, while Samuelson rather makes a bunch of little ones all game. There are numbers that back this up as well if you subscribe to The Athletic. I think Millers IQ is only average but I love a lot of his instinctual things like his gap control and some of the plays he makes off the rush.

Bokk at 9 I think I explain in my write up. Elite puck handling and creativity and so much growth potential that there's not many guys beneath him I even had to legitimately debate having above him, big fan of his potential.

O'brien has no clear weakness sure, but no real clear strengths at the next level either. More of a guy thats pretty good at everything, all the guys above him I simply see more in. And again 48 is definitely not ridiculously low on him, I still am a fan.

Hope this helps clarify a couple things, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

after my original post, I feel as if it came off a bit too harsh which wasn't my intention.

I always applaud those that put lists out there for people to tear and shred, like you, I did my top 60 list each and every draft...I would defend what I felt was right over what others thought was wrong. We need more of this type of stuff and not less, so my apologies if it came off as dickish as that was not my intention at all.

I again just respectfully disagree with Smith and Farabee here. For me, Smith just thinks the game at a near elite level. I have rarely seen him make a mistake, rarely which is so beyond impressive with how fast he moves out there. His decision making at high speeds is what makes him near elite for me. Now here is what makes what we discuss so fun. Craig Button has Smith outside his top 15 at #22, but Kyle Woodlief has him inside his top 10. People just see things different or hold certain skills/attributes higher than others.

You cannot convince me that a player of that skill, IQ, speed, etc should be behind guys like Miller and Wilde...then have him behind a guy like Bokk who you have in the top 10. You have issues with Smith and his play at times as well as him not being as good offensively and defensively, yet Bokk with so many more flaws is at #9 for you? Different positions no doubt, but it is your justification for certain prospects being ranked higher than others when some have same concerns or even more flaws in their game has been my main issue here.

I have no problems with you calling out Smith's deficiencies if they are there, but no way should he be punished and yet guys like Miller and Wilde who have been Atrocious for parts of the year are ranked higher and their issues/flaws are being marginalized...does that make sense?

I can take your explanation in a sense with Farabee that you don't see his upside as high as others. That is fair I guess. When you have a guy that can play the game any way you want, sometimes they just lose that flash because they can grind it out or play that 200ft game...I have never seen a 200ft Gretzky right?? lol.. After watching Joel this entire year and stretches last year, I just am not sure what you are missing to be honest. He is one of the fastest guys on the ice, you obviously agree he is one of the smartest, but the way he buzzes around nets, creates havoc and opportunities is just a thing of beauty. Very reminiscent of Zach Parise. Button has Joel at #11 and Woodlief at #12...though 19 isn't a bad spot, it is a slight to him IMO as the kid has talent and brains which likely sees him inside that top 12.

And I am just listing rankings of Button and Woodlief to prove points on how actual scouts (no slight to you or me) views the guys we are talking about, it isn't meant for a gotcha...even they see things differently.

I really like Bokk....for the Hawks to select..at #27 though lol! You can like your guys but your justification for him at 9 is almost dreamy IMO...I think you have your guy that you are going to the fire with, and I have done that soooo many times as well, been burned a few times but looked good others. I think he will be a good player, has some challenges ahead, but he could turn out to be that gem, and you were the guy saying it. Hard sell for me, but the kid has a lot of skill and I would definitely look at him in that later first round range.

Button has him 30th and Woodlief outside of the top 22...

I have been waiting all year for the real K'Andre Miller to show up and I haven't really seen it yet to be honest. The two players on that US blue line that have been the steadiest and most impressive this entire year are M Samuelsson and Ty Emberson for me. Both players are going to have nice careers and guys who should go higher. I even really like Stastney over both Miller and Wilde as well.. There was so much hype for both Wilde and Miller I almost think it has blindfolded some people. I can see glimpses of what "could" make them great, but man are the brain farts, bad positioning, turn over outlet passing pilling up for these two. On physical gifts and tools, yep these kids are top 15 threats, but actually on the ice and in the games, I have seen these guys just look average to blah most of the year.

Mattias Samuelsson for me has looked a lot like Connor Murphy but even more mobile. He is a lock for a top 4 dman, just built for that role. Maybe even something like Brooks Orpik as the game still has an average size over 6'1, so a player like Samuelsson who makes smart simple plays will have a bright future here. Not fast on his skates, but he isn't a snail either, kid will work hard on that, his bloodlines will make sure of that.

for K'Andre Miller - Button has him 31st and Woodlief not in his top 20
for Mattias Samuelsson - Button has him 33rd and Woodlief 18th I believe.
for Bode Wilde - Button has him 16th and not sure where Woodlief had him to be honest but it was inside the top 22.

so who knows what will happen with these three hulking US blue liners, it can go any way possible in 2 weeks.

As for Jay O'Brien, he is an enigma to most on here. He seems to be one of the players that has been rising since February as more scouts have been heading out to Thayer to see him. He has had multiple meetings with a number of NHL teams already, and according to some, he will not be around come round 2. Everything this kid does is near elite. His IQ, his work ethic, his speed and hands are just near elite for me. He held his own with the USNDP as a fill in which isn't easy to do, but he plays in a Prep league that isn't filled with the best competition so I understand some concerns. I just felt that a number of the guys you put really high like Bokk or Tychonic, this kid has every bit the skill and ceiling as they do, yet he is down in the mid 40's. That just doesn't seem like it will be happening with him draft day.

Button has O'Brien -38th, no idea where Woodlief has him at, but did say he is one of the risers for the draft for a potential top 31 pick.

Button has Tychonic- 54th and Woodlief outside his top 31....so yeah you are out to lunch on that kid lol!! I like Tychonic as a nice early second round sleeper, but having him where you have him at is a hard sell again for me.

Again, thanks for the list with write ups and for the differing opinion. There is nobody on here that is right or thinks they are smarter than anyone else..we all just see things differently. I think you are a bit down on the USHL as most of the top players you are low on, but that is just my opinion on that as guys like McLaughlin, Drury, O'Brien, etc are going to go higher than you have them at...

Can't wait to see how this draft pans out.....and two players that I am going to the fire for - Jake Wise and Kyle Topping - these two kids are going to make a number of GMs look foolish with where they get selected at. Two of my top centers for this draft period.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Excellent job !

Like you I'm higher on Dobson then most people. I think he will translate very well to nhl and will be able to log huge mins since he can play in multiples situations. He reminds me of Seth Jones. I also like Kravtsov at 12. To me he is very close to be a top 10 talents and I feel he is ranked too low in most draft boards.

Noel I don't really see it. The way the game is shifting in the nhl I don't think he will be skills enough to play on the top 2 lines. He also ran very hot this year with with close to 27% shot success.

Tkachuk I agree with you that he is overrated a bit but to me 14 is a bit off a stretch. Like you I don't think the upside is that high but is floor is very high. He will play in nhl 100% and he could play on any line first to 4th. He is fast enough that he will be able to play with skills players and make them some space. I think at worse he will be a very physical player like Tom Wilson. In 4-5 years, I see him as one of the most physical player in the league. You need guys like that to win in the playoff.

Kupari is now almost 6ft2 and close to 19o. Most gm are talking about speed speed speed. I feel with Kupari speed + hands and size. A team will take a chance sooner with him.

Hayton I dont see the upside to me he is a late first rounder. (I'm on the same page with you)

Finally, one guy I think is one of the most underrated is Filip Hallander. At the same age he has similar numbers then Filip Forsberg, Pastrnak, nylander etc. I just love is playmaking ability he make pass few players are able to see and he has a sneaky good wrister.

Cant wait for the draft. Absolutely enjoy reading your prediction.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it and will try and answer on some of your questions.

Noel is a guy I wanted to not like due to what your mentioning. His IQ isn't extremely high and ya he did have a very high shooting percentage, though a lot of that is due to the shots he's taking and his elite hands in tight. I think his skills are why he'll be successful his stick handling and skating combo at 6'5 are freakish, outlier level good. Also saw him make some jaw dropping plays that really moved me on him.

I think Tkachucks floor is even a bit overstated, I think at worst he's a 3rd/4th line tweener who is a fairly easy type of player to find. Tom Wilson I'm very high on and I think brings an intimidation factor that Tkachuck never will, Wilson is a monster while Tkachuck plays more of a pest style. I don't know that he develops the skill to be a first liner in more than a Zach Hyman role, whereas guys above him bring more for me.

Kupari was just constantly disappointing to me because his skill set suggests he should be a whole lot more. Don't like the way he thinks the game, and he's a bit too much of a tunnel vision guy. Reminds me of an Andre Burakovsky type, who is an excellent straight line attacker but doesn't have enough depth or creativity to how he thinks to consistently bring it.

Hallander is a victim of me not seeing his best I think, hear so much good about him but I just never saw him perform where he looked at all like a high end prospect. Production is nice but I look for that high end ability moreso and I didn't see it with him

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
after my original post, I feel as if it came off a bit too harsh which wasn't my intention.

I always applaud those that put lists out there for people to tear and shred, like you, I did my top 60 list each and every draft...I would defend what I felt was right over what others thought was wrong. We need more of this type of stuff and not less, so my apologies if it came off as dickish as that was not my intention at all.

I again just respectfully disagree with Smith and Farabee here. For me, Smith just thinks the game at a near elite level. I have rarely seen him make a mistake, rarely which is so beyond impressive with how fast he moves out there. His decision making at high speeds is what makes him near elite for me. Now here is what makes what we discuss so fun. Craig Button has Smith outside his top 15 at #22, but Kyle Woodlief has him inside his top 10. People just see things different or hold certain skills/attributes higher than others.

You cannot convince me that a player of that skill, IQ, speed, etc should be behind guys like Miller and Wilde...then have him behind a guy like Bokk who you have in the top 10. You have issues with Smith and his play at times as well as him not being as good offensively and defensively, yet Bokk with so many more flaws is at #9 for you? Different positions no doubt, but it is your justification for certain prospects being ranked higher than others when some have same concerns or even more flaws in their game has been my main issue here.

I have no problems with you calling out Smith's deficiencies if they are there, but no way should he be punished and yet guys like Miller and Wilde who have been Atrocious for parts of the year are ranked higher and their issues/flaws are being marginalized...does that make sense?

I can take your explanation in a sense with Farabee that you don't see his upside as high as others. That is fair I guess. When you have a guy that can play the game any way you want, sometimes they just lose that flash because they can grind it out or play that 200ft game...I have never seen a 200ft Gretzky right?? lol.. After watching Joel this entire year and stretches last year, I just am not sure what you are missing to be honest. He is one of the fastest guys on the ice, you obviously agree he is one of the smartest, but the way he buzzes around nets, creates havoc and opportunities is just a thing of beauty. Very reminiscent of Zach Parise. Button has Joel at #11 and Woodlief at #12...though 19 isn't a bad spot, it is a slight to him IMO as the kid has talent and brains which likely sees him inside that top 12.

And I am just listing rankings of Button and Woodlief to prove points on how actual scouts (no slight to you or me) views the guys we are talking about, it isn't meant for a gotcha...even they see things differently.

I really like Bokk....for the Hawks to select..at #27 though lol! You can like your guys but your justification for him at 9 is almost dreamy IMO...I think you have your guy that you are going to the fire with, and I have done that soooo many times as well, been burned a few times but looked good others. I think he will be a good player, has some challenges ahead, but he could turn out to be that gem, and you were the guy saying it. Hard sell for me, but the kid has a lot of skill and I would definitely look at him in that later first round range.

Button has him 30th and Woodlief outside of the top 22...

I have been waiting all year for the real K'Andre Miller to show up and I haven't really seen it yet to be honest. The two players on that US blue line that have been the steadiest and most impressive this entire year are M Samuelsson and Ty Emberson for me. Both players are going to have nice careers and guys who should go higher. I even really like Stastney over both Miller and Wilde as well.. There was so much hype for both Wilde and Miller I almost think it has blindfolded some people. I can see glimpses of what "could" make them great, but man are the brain farts, bad positioning, turn over outlet passing pilling up for these two. On physical gifts and tools, yep these kids are top 15 threats, but actually on the ice and in the games, I have seen these guys just look average to blah most of the year.

Mattias Samuelsson for me has looked a lot like Connor Murphy but even more mobile. He is a lock for a top 4 dman, just built for that role. Maybe even something like Brooks Orpik as the game still has an average size over 6'1, so a player like Samuelsson who makes smart simple plays will have a bright future here. Not fast on his skates, but he isn't a snail either, kid will work hard on that, his bloodlines will make sure of that.

for K'Andre Miller - Button has him 31st and Woodlief not in his top 20
for Mattias Samuelsson - Button has him 33rd and Woodlief 18th I believe.
for Bode Wilde - Button has him 16th and not sure where Woodlief had him to be honest but it was inside the top 22.

so who knows what will happen with these three hulking US blue liners, it can go any way possible in 2 weeks.

As for Jay O'Brien, he is an enigma to most on here. He seems to be one of the players that has been rising since February as more scouts have been heading out to Thayer to see him. He has had multiple meetings with a number of NHL teams already, and according to some, he will not be around come round 2. Everything this kid does is near elite. His IQ, his work ethic, his speed and hands are just near elite for me. He held his own with the USNDP as a fill in which isn't easy to do, but he plays in a Prep league that isn't filled with the best competition so I understand some concerns. I just felt that a number of the guys you put really high like Bokk or Tychonic, this kid has every bit the skill and ceiling as they do, yet he is down in the mid 40's. That just doesn't seem like it will be happening with him draft day.

Button has O'Brien -38th, no idea where Woodlief has him at, but did say he is one of the risers for the draft for a potential top 31 pick.

Button has Tychonic- 54th and Woodlief outside his top 31....so yeah you are out to lunch on that kid lol!! I like Tychonic as a nice early second round sleeper, but having him where you have him at is a hard sell again for me.

Again, thanks for the list with write ups and for the differing opinion. There is nobody on here that is right or thinks they are smarter than anyone else..we all just see things differently. I think you are a bit down on the USHL as most of the top players you are low on, but that is just my opinion on that as guys like McLaughlin, Drury, O'Brien, etc are going to go higher than you have them at...

Can't wait to see how this draft pans out.....and two players that I am going to the fire for - Jake Wise and Kyle Topping - these two kids are going to make a number of GMs look foolish with where they get selected at. Two of my top centers for this draft period.
Took no offence, you are completely welcome to disagree!

A couple inaccuracies I will correct are that I do not have Wilde(#23) above Smith(#17), that I really don't care where Button, Woodlief, or any scout or agency has players, and that I'm not concerned with where these guys actually get drafted but where I see them being as players in 7 years.

I take it you have actually watched all these prospects as well, and I think the differing opinions are natural in this situation with nothing either of us says going to win the other to their side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad