Cut/Released: Frank Clark cut in October after signing with the Broncos (1 year, $5.5 million)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Surprised he only got a 1 year deal
He's really not much more than decent veteran DE depth. He was either underperforming or injured or a combo of the two throughout his time in KC. He did seem to turn it up in the playoffs though, I will say that. I'm not surprised there wasn't much of a market for him at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going to be hard for Denver to do what they really want and part ways with Russ with all of that dead cap pending. Is he tradable? Not unless he restructures his contract which I believe has the 2025 base salary becoming fully guaranteed come the first week of the 2024 league year. 2024 base is fully guaranteed.

I do not think another team would take Russ unless he agrees to push the 2025 base salary guarantee until March 2025 to give the team a chance to see how he performs first.

Denver is going to have to redo some contracts to take the hit on Russ.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Going to be hard for Denver to do what they really want and part ways with Russ with all of that dead cap pending. Is he tradable? Not unless he restructures his contract which I believe has the 2025 base salary becoming fully guaranteed come the first week of the 2024 league year. 2024 base is fully guaranteed.

I do not think another team would take Russ unless he agrees to push the 2025 base salary guarantee until March 2025 to give the team a chance to see how he performs first.

Denver is going to have to redo some contracts to take the hit on Russ.

Are there rumors that the Broncos will move on from Wilson after this season?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Yeah they probably will bite the bullet with the dead cap, Russell Wilson has been trash since leaving Seattle. But hey, he wanted this…he wanted to be ‘on his own’ and not ‘be under Pete Carroll’s’ system. Turns out that system pretty much what got him to what he became, Wilson has been horrible being on his own. He’s not a true pocket passer, he makes plays while moving his legs.

Whoever convinced him to brand himself and be this alpha dog needs to be fired, probably people from his entourage who’s been feeding him bad advice.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Wilson hasn't been horrible this year, would be pacing for 33 TD:s with 6 INT:s at the moment, no one cares or remembers that though when the Broncos are losing games by historic margins.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah they probably will bite the bullet with the dead cap, Russell Wilson has been trash since leaving Seattle. But hey, he wanted this…he wanted to be ‘on his own’ and not ‘be under Pete Carroll’s’ system. Turns out that system pretty much what got him to what he became, Wilson has been horrible being on his own. He’s not a true pocket passer, he makes plays while moving his legs.

Whoever convinced him to brand himself and be this alpha dog needs to be fired, probably people from his entourage who’s been feeding him bad advice.
Wilson has been better this season, but not good enough to warrant the contract & cap charge.

He's lost mobility, same with Cam who not only could run over you but past you, but without the speed players could catch Cam and bring him down, plus the shoulder injury did him in. If Russ can't move as well, he isn't great from the pocket thus not as good a QB.

Will this happen to the younger QBS in the future? Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Jackson, Mahome a bit, Lawrence how much effectiveness would they lose if they lost mobility like Russ?

Game is trending towards more mobile QBs but if they lose that in their 30's then you shouldn't bet on them being as effective as Brees, Manning, Brady, Ben, Rivers when they hit 33/34 onwards.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Wilson hasn't been horrible this year, would be pacing for 33 TD:s with 6 INT:s at the moment, no one cares or remembers that though when the Broncos are losing games by historic margins.
He's very streaky from quarter to quarter, and some of those stats are in garbage time.

But he has been playing a bit better.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

The way Mark schlereth was explained the contract

Is after June 1st they will this offseason if they were to do it
But surprisingly it gets worse after that if they do it the following offseason

Also eye test doesn’t fit with Wilson
PFF broke it down as empty Calories for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The way Mark schlereth was explained the contract

Is after June 1st they will this offseason if they were to do it
But surprisingly it gets worse after that if they do it the following offseason

Also eye test doesn’t fit with Wilson
PFF broke it down as empty Calories for him.
I think it gets worse due to the 2025 base salary being guaranteed a week after the start of the 2024 league year in March 2024. So if you keep him in 2024 then the 2025 base salary becomes guaranteed. So really not any better off just kicking the can down the road still.

Regardless the broncos will eat the 2024 base salary as that was guaranteed.

Like Carr last offseason. He ended up getting cut which is what he wanted vs having the Raiders decide his fate. Russ situation is worse cause it’s not the upcoming year’s base salary that would become Guaranteed, it’s the following year’s one that would.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Possibly the worst trade/signing ever. Wilson sucks and doesn’t even care that he sucks.

I like the comeuppance for Sean Payton, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Possibly the worst trade/signing ever. Wilson sucks and doesn’t even care that he sucks.

Lost mobility.

Kind of a cautionary tale moving forward since the standard for QBs is to have some mobility. Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Kyler, Jackson, even the kids coming up like Williams, Maye, etc have it.

So, what happens if/when they lose some of their mobility in their 30's? Do they end up like Russ or do they evolve like Steve Young and Cunningham who were very mobile in their 20's but transitioned to more pocket passers as they aged into their 30's?

Can they make that transition from having their instincts tell them to move out of the pocket to sliding within the pocket to bide time or throw the ball away (Brady was the master of just getting the ball close enough to his RB and WR to ensure limited negative plays).

Hurts Wilson that he is shorter and it's harder for him to stand in the pocket.

Teams may need to monitor their QBs for lower body injuries as they get into their 30's. And be careful with their contracts as well at that age.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

We've had a few QBs recently do good things playing into their mid and late 30s, so it has opened the door for QB-desperate teams to think it's worth taking a shot adding one. But the few guys who have done amazing things at later ages remain outliers.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We've had a few QBs recently do good things playing into their mid and late 30s, so it has opened the door for QB-desperate teams to think it's worth taking a shot adding one. But the few guys who have done amazing things at later ages remain outliers.
Most of those were pocket passers. Russ is dependent on his mobility. Losing some of that makes him a sitting duck as he’s not a real pocket guy. Needs to move otherwise he’s a sitting duck being a short QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad