Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
https://www.tsn.ca/canes-name-brind-amour-coach-waddell-gm-1.1079227

Has anybody seen this O-Dog and Craig Button segment?

What worries me is the part where he talks about guys who were getting interviewed for the GM position were saying half way through "I don't even want this job, this is embarrassing".

There's only 31 GM jobs in the NHL and guys are saying "I don't want to work with this owner"

This is not a good situation
Bullshit. I'm calling bullshit on all of that. You want to claim that come with receipts. Otherwise, it's all bullshit.

He's embarrassed about this franchise, well good we've long been embarrassed of his alleged drug induced drunken benders when he was here. Glad we found equal footing.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
f9c9ebefdacb16c40f0a520fa0dedacb4d93dbedd3def60b07a34b55fa5b1cbf.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, that worries over "Waddell's draft record" seem odd. The whole reason why Dundon reportedly wanted Francis gone, was that he wanted a more collaborative approach to decision making. Our scouting staff hasn't changed. Our Assistant GM's that were here under Francis are still here (for the time being). Tlusky is still here. etc... It may be completely unwarranted, but I'm a bit more worried (not much though) that the team will make a bad rash move to improve quickly which will backfire, like Chiarelli did. I don't think that will happen this year, but that's a bit more of a concern than drafting.

We lucked into the 2OA pick. Necas is looking like a home run pick. Aho and TT took huge strides in their development. AHL guys have shown big strides in their development and a couple of them look ready. Our defense, who was very young last year have another year under their belt. If we can fix the goaltending, this team could have a NJ Devils type season next year.

Maybe it's a case of fool me twice, shame on me, but I'm more optimistic for next year than I am pessimistic. Of course, that can change once the draft and free agency is over, but that's where I am now.

Aho-Lindholm-TT
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Skinner-Necas-Svechnikov
Martinook-Rask-Foegele
Zykov, Wallmark

For the first time since forever, I could see the Canes trading a forward, like Skinner, Rask, or Lindholm, and thinking that might be ok because we have some depth and skill.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Aho-Lindholm-TT
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Skinner-Necas-Svechnikov
Martinook-Rask-Foegele
Zykov, Wallmark

I'm excited about the possibilities, but putting Skinner on a line with two rookies seems very risky to me. I'd probably swap Necas and Lindholm to start the season so each of the rookies is playing with two veterans.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't love the way everything played out, and it's not the choices I would have made, but meh. Just get results. I don't really care about the rest. I'm willing to give this all a chance. I agree with BBA. Pending everything else, I'm still excited about the team and its talent, even if the rest leaves something to be desired.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yeah, for a first time sports franchise owner, he probably could have screwed up worse, so I can live with it for now. Hopefully he got lucky and made good choices. But if not, hopefully he learns quickly and fixes things as he goes. That will be easy if Waddel proves to be a poor choice, because no one will bat an eye if he is fired and replaced. Rod on the other hand...

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
As much as I’d love Tavares to add with Necas and Svechnikov, it ain’t happening. I am pretty certain that one of Faulk or Hanifin will be dealt for a comparable forward. I’d love that forward to be RNH or ROR, and at this point I think I’ve finally come to terms with moving Hanifin. Although I still would prefer him signed to a bridge deal, replacing Hanifin is much easier for us to do internally than replacing Faulk. And on top of that, Faulk has 2 more years of cost certainty; Hanifin’s new deal may price him out of the market this summer.

However the Puljujärvi for Faulk rumors make sense if Aho is going to be a C full time. You can not say at all that this off-season hasn’t been a ride so far, certainly more to come...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad