Franchise Player Cap Exemption in the NHL

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why? Because a player playing for a team for a decade generates jersey sales and can build the sport?

In the NHL they usually do though, unlike in some other sports.
All these players signed long-term contracts for example: Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Malkin, Stamkos, Seguin, Draisaitl, Bergeron, Scheifele, Kopitar, P. Kane, MacKinnon, Eichel, etc.
These guys didn't need a cap exemption as motivator.
The only ones I can think of recently leaving are Tavares (after 9 years) and Pietrangelo (after 12 years).

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Horrible idea.
Basically guarantees that the best players in the league play for Toronto or the Rangers after they turn 27...

Or does anyone believe Toronto wouldn't offer McDavid an 80-100m/ year deal if they don't have to worry about his caphit?

Also doesn't even work if you consider escrow...

No thank you...

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It would be just a "win harder" mechanism, the better the player you have, the more additional talent you can add. Your best player makes $6M? Sucks to suck

Just do an aggressive luxury tax.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
At the end of the day, I don’t see the owners and players moving off of a 50/50 revenue split. So having a player off the cap will just lower the cap for everyone else and you won’t gain much.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I may have a better idea. How about a drafted player that you can keep that makes under 5% of the salary cap? Let's you keep a key role player around as long as you like and in no way would a "star" player accept that kind of offer. Obviously this would only be for a bottom 6 forward or 4-6 type of dman.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Absolutely not, the parity in the NHL is good the way it is. Keep it as is

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
What are your thoughts?

Viable? Fair?
I think it's a great idea that benefits both the GMS and the NHLPA. my one caveat would be the player would have to have been drafted by the club.
That way teams like the Jackets have a better chance of keeping said player and it keeps big-budget teams from out-bidding small market or less desirable team's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad