Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - NHL & WHA Historical mode

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
As I said -- templates are really the way to go in historical mode, and "individual" tweaks to players can be made over time.

And other than some very specific , individual cases of players who SEEM (notice use of "SEEM" instead of "ARE") "mis-templated" or mis-evaluated at first glance. I'm not sure whether it's really relevant to mention players here, and frankly, I didn't find that much.

As for the 39-40 Habs start : Well, I wanted a tough start, and I was not disappointed!
Didn't mean to make it sound like I did (reading back). We're constantly tweaking something, so again, if you have suggestions, please let me know and I'll gladly bring it forward and we could include in our next big update.

This may be something I am interested in but I have some questions.

Does it work well on a mac? Are there any special memory or os requirements? What is the difference between the steam and esellerate versions. I don't have steam on my computer so would i download the esellate version?

The choice is available to you. The game is also available through the Mac App store. There isn't many requirements to play the game. It runs on just about anything. The biggest difference between all the versions though is with the Esellerate one we can't push updates to you, so you have to manually download them from our website.

You have the choice between yearly auto-recalc of attributes or using the developpement engine. Auto-recalc would bring something closer to reality, while developpement might bring slightly bigger outliers (it wouldn't change much for a guy like Beliveau). I'm not sure the players' rating are hurt if one had an off-season in real life while in middle-of-prime. KnightAttack is probably better placed than me to answer (I didn't even play the game that much).

I must say that, the further you get from the starting point, the more things start to be different. Because :
- Draft, unless you chose that players start with their original team
- Moves and Trades.

The best way I can describe it is with this example:

Using the Recalcuation, Bobby Orr is one if not the best Hockey Player of all time up until his knee starts to drag on him, eventually ending his career at Age 30.

Whereas using the FHM engine: Bobby Orr's knees hold up, he continues to press on as one of Boston's leaders, eventually leading them to a Cup in the Early 80s stunning both the Islanders and Oilers and retiring having overtaken Mr. Hockey's point total 2 years earlier.

It may not always work this way, but the Development Engine can give you a lot more "What If" scenarios.

if i wasn't burnt so badly by FHM and FHM 2, I might consider buying it again,

but just so burnt from the disappointment from the first two...

I think everyone on the Development side would agree with the fact FHM1 was a building block, 2 was a substantial improvement and 3 the game is now hitting its stride. What didn't you like about 2? (Perhaps this isn't the discussion for here, but if you'd like to PM I'd love to get your feedback).

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
OK, I bought the game and am having some fun playing around with it.

I am mainly interested in simulating seasons from the 50's & 60's. I thought I would try starting with 54-55 and going forward and found something that bugs me. It appears that a player remains on the team he started with in 1954 regardless of how many times he is traded. An example is Ed litzenberger. He started the 54-55 season with Montreal and was traded midseason to Chicago where he remained until 60-61. He went to Detroit in 61-62 and to Toronto later that same season. In the simulation, he is shown under Montreal 54-55 thru 60-61 and then changes to Toronto in 61-62 as a non-active player under contract This makes no sense as he was a star with Chicago in the late 50's.(Incidentally his rating should be a little higher at his peak in the late 50's)

It is a similiar situation with Ted Lindsay & Glen Hall who went from Detroit to Chicago in 57-58 but the simulation shows them remaining with Detroit. This has to hurt the simulation results For Chicago. There are many other examples.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but is there a way to get players on the correct team?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
OK, I bought the game and am having some fun playing around with it.

I am mainly interested in simulating seasons from the 50's & 60's. I thought I would try starting with 54-55 and going forward and found something that bugs me. It appears that a player remains on the team he started with in 1954 regardless of how many times he is traded. An example is Ed litzenberger. He started the 54-55 season with Montreal and was traded midseason to Chicago where he remained until 60-61. He went to Detroit in 61-62 and to Toronto later that same season. In the simulation, he is shown under Montreal 54-55 thru 60-61 and then changes to Toronto in 61-62 as a non-active player under contract This makes no sense as he was a star with Chicago in the late 50's.(Incidentally his rating should be a little higher at his peak in the late 50's)

It is a similiar situation with Ted Lindsay & Glen Hall who went from Detroit to Chicago in 57-58 but the simulation shows them remaining with Detroit. This has to hurt the simulation results to Chicago. There are many other examples.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but is there a way to get players on the correct team?

Well..
The AI take control of the teams the minute you "choose" a season. It's not a "replay" thing from one season to another.

Meaning that Litzenberger is a Hab until he's traded.

Had you started in 55-56 instead, Litzenberger would be a Hawk.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Well..
The AI take control of the teams the minute you "choose" a season. It's not a "replay" thing from one season to another.

Meaning that Litzenberger is a Hab until he's traded.

Had you started in 55-56 instead, Litzenberger would be a Hawk.
You are right I tried it starting in 55-56 and he is a Hawk if I do that.

The simulations are actually useless with out reflecting trades. This is especially true for unbalanced trades or when players are exchanged for cash. For example if you start in 54-55, Chicago loses its late 50's core. No Litzenberger, Sloan, lindsay, Hall, Nesterenko.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

The simulations are actually useless with out reflecting trades. This is especially true for unbalanced trades or when players are exchanged for cash. For example if you start in 54-55, Chicago loses its late 50's core. No Litzenberger, Sloan, lindsay, Hall, Nesterenko.

I think a "replay" function would be interesting.

Not that I would really care about it, since it kindof takes out the "GM/Manager" aspect of the game, but it's probably not THAT tough to implement and I can definitely see some people being interested in it.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
OOTP actually has an "accurate transactions" function in their historical mode. Meaning that trades/signings that happen in real life will in turn happen in the game on the exact same historical dates. Maybe FHM could one day introduce that option

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

I suppose one workaround for you would be to simply exit out at the end of each season and start a new game with the next season and so on.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I suppose one workaround for you would be to simply exit out at the end of each season and start a new game with the next season and so on.
Yes, I realize that and it works if the player movement happens between seasons. Cumbersome though going in and out of the system and there is no easy way to bring all the "games" together to look at the historical record.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Interesting that defencemen are listed as LD and RD. I wonder what kind of research was done to list the side they played.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Yes, I realize that and it works if the player movement happens between seasons. Cumbersome though going in and out of the system and there is no easy way to bring all the "games" together to look at the historical record.

If you play as Commissioner then you manually can trade whoever for whoever whenever(Trades involving teams you are not the GM for would have to have the players team changed by clicking "Edit"-player button that appears when being Commissioner. I guess you would also preferrably not play with a draft and then also keep watch over players that in the real world draft got traded before making his NHL debut. Good with FHM3 is that Commissioner can be turned on and off in-game.

Last edited:

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I think a "replay" function would be interesting.

Not that I would really care about it, since it kind of takes out the "GM/Manager" aspect of the game, but it's probably not THAT tough to implement and I can definitely see some people being interested in it.
OOTP actually has an "accurate transactions" function in their historical mode. Meaning that trades/signings that happen in real life will in turn happen in the game on the exact same historical dates. Maybe FHM could one day introduce that option

As the lead developer Sebastian says, FHM is not OOTP and OOTP is not FHM. Although we fall under the same company, it's 2 completely different teams making the game. Basically it comes down to sheer numbers and right now, there is not enough people who want this mode. And as MXD pointed out, having it kind of takes away the fun of GMing if everything is controlled/predetermined.

You can do .CSV exports of your game if you did not know that.

Interesting that defencemen are listed as LD and RD. I wonder what kind of research was done to list the side they played.

To put it simply: a lot. Jeff does an incredible amount of research checking and fact checking everything he can. Could he miss something? Yes, but he's pretty good about it. Keep in mind that each player has rating for all 5 positions, so even if someone is listed as a RD (which means they should be sitting at a stat roughly at 20 - the top) if they played on both sides a lot, there LD side would likely be at 18 or 19 as well.

If you play as Commissioner then you manually can trade whoever for whoever whenever(Trades involving teams you are not the GM for would have to have the players team changed by clicking "Edit"-player button that appears when being Commissioner. I guess you would also preferrably not play with a draft and then also keep watch over players that in the real world draft got traded before making his NHL debut. Good with FHM3 is that Commissioner can be turned on and off in-game.

Commissioner Mode is available to do those types of things, and I don't mind doing that either.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Commissioner mode seems to be the answer to my issue. However, I can't figure out how to activate it. It doesn't appear as an option and I can't find the answer in the manual or forums. Can you help me out here?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Commissioner mode seems to be the answer to my issue. However, I can't figure out how to activate it. It doesn't appear as an option and I can't find the answer in the manual or forums. Can you help me out here?

It should be there as long as your in Sandbox. You can activate it when you start the game, or should be able to activate it again by clicking on the Manager Tab and under "Basics" you should see Manager Options. It should be the last option under Profile.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under

Also, change league trade rate to 0, this i think will have to be done every off-season.
When it comes to real life trades, you should if you have not allready be able to find them on the internet in a well structured way by date, making it somewhat simple to keep up with.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Also, change league trade rate to 0, this i think will have to be done every off-season.
When it comes to real life trades, you should if you have not allready be able to find them on the internet in a well structured way by date, making it somewhat simple to keep up with.
You seem to be well versed in this.

OK, I am in commissioner mode and I see how to change the trade rate to 0. You can't seem to do this until the end of your first season. Since I am starting with 1954-55 that means I can't change the trade rate until July 1, 1955. I am having some trouble figuring out how to complete a player trade. I have set up my manager as managing the Blackhawks and want to trade Metro Prestie from the Red wings to the Blackhawks for Lorne Davis. I can get Metro prestie to show up in the Red Wing trade offer but can't figure out how to get the Blackhawks to respond by offering Davis in exchange. Any advice is much appreciated.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
In a nice but sad "what if" moment, Alexei Cherepanov played his rookie season for the Rangers in 07-08 and scored 27 goals.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada

OK, I am in commissioner mode and I see how to change the trade rate to 0. You can't seem to do this until the end of your first season. Since I am starting with 1954-55 that means I can't change the trade rate until July 1, 1955. I am having some trouble figuring out how to complete a player trade. I have set up my manager as managing the Blackhawks and want to trade Metro Prestie from the Red wings to the Blackhawks for Lorne Davis. I can get Metro prestie to show up in the Red Wing trade offer but can't figure out how to get the Blackhawks to respond by offering Davis in exchange. Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm guessing you're right clicking and clicking "Make Trade Offer" so the player appears yes? So that's opening the Trade Window. This is also available on Team and League Controls screen.

You should see a couple of drop down boxes. At the top, there's one to change teams, in the bottom right, you should see one that says __________ Players. If you click on it you should see 6 total options - Blackhawks Players, Blackhawks Rights, Blackhawks Draft Picks, Red Wings Players, Red Wings Rights, Red Wings Draft Picks.

Simply choose the correct drop down box and find the player you want to try and make a trade for. Your scout adviser will tell you if he thinks the other team will go for it however.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under

Yeah probably, at least for my preferred way of playing. But often not that fresh in the head nowadays, i have made some possibly minor thought errors in this thread, and hopefully the input from people combined lets you conclude what you need to keep track of for your own game.

Last edited:

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
So I hear there's no minor leagues in historical mode? That's a little disappointing TBH. Even if they weren't accurate, a lot of immersion is lost without the AHL/ECHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So I hear there's no minor leagues in historical mode? That's a little disappointing TBH. Even if they weren't accurate, a lot of immersion is lost without the AHL/ECHL.

There aren't...
And that's probably why I never played historical games with the developpement engine turned off, because some players tend to be really pissed when assigned to reserve team (and sometimes, that's the only spot they can occupy).

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Hi guys, late to the party but I need a clarification regarding commissioner mode. Do I still have to control my NHL team (trade, draft etc) and if so, what is the difference with normal GM mode?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad